“Great hidden little gem !!!”

Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #42 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Denver, Colorado
“Great hidden little gem !!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Booked my most recent vacation a week from going and chose this hotel not know anything about it. I did know the location so that was a good starting point and I knew it was close to the beach so I took a shot on it and I'm more the pleased i did.
Checked into the hotel which is on 8th and 5th and it wasnt hard to find but you had to look closely cause the entrance was not well lit and it definetly didnt stand out. Walked into the place and it was quite nice the staff at the front desk checked me in and I went up to my room and that is were I was really amazed. They gave me the private cabanna on the 5th floor #500 which is currently the only one on that floor the other was being constructed while I was there. It was perfect. Opened the door and it was a huge room had a gigantic king size bed with a netting over the entire bed then the view this room had looked over the entire ocean. It also had its own private little deck area with some lounge chairs and a table. The bathroom in this cabanna was also quite large, and that was were the only problem in the whole room was in the shower. The shower while quite large had two shower heads a hand held one and then a regular one. The regular one was all the way up against the ceiling and had so much pressure that it barely allowed the hand held one to work. Also the regular shower head could not be adjusted cause it was so high to the ceiling and it shot directly into your face and I'm 6'0" tall so it was not enjoyable. And the water really had a bad oder for the first 5-10 min before really getting going. This I didnt find that big of a deal cause most of the time I just rinsed off in the shower down by the pool on the 4th floor which this cabanna also overlooked. All in all I would definetly stay at this place again I would request the cabanna on the 5th floor but I'm sure the rest of the rooms are really good as well. But if your getting away for a 3-4-5 day trip this place it perfect for that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Hebrew first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The name of the hotel is too long and confusing. And it's not really a boutique hotel either. let's start with the positive remarks : location is good between the beach and the lively 5th avenue, but no direct access to beach provided. Service is good and friendly as well and the price compared to accommodation and service is fine for a few days. Not a hotel to stay longer than 3 days though. Breakfast looks great but the taste is a subject of discussion, the little buns that are offered are not always fresh. The swimmingpool on the 4th floor is a joke, just deep enough to wet your knees and the rooms differ. Try to get one on the top floors or with a window that opens to the outside, the ones ceneterd around the courtyard a a bit gloomy and dark.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank werdlerswereld
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Ambassador( as we kindly name our guests),

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to one of our hotels located close to the 5th Avenue: Illusion Hotel Boutique. We appreciate your positive remarks about our attentive service and location. And we also would like to thank you for sharing the opportunities you perceived, this is very important for us since it is our main motivation to improve. Please rest assured that they will be forwarded to the management for its consideration.

Looking forward to having the opportunity to host you in the future and show you our improvements.

Hartford, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week with my boyfriend and we were both very pleased with this hotel. The hotel was very clean! Great location as it is right downtown in the middle of everything yet also just a few steps from the beach. I would definitely return if visiting Playa again. The pool is very small/shallow but I found it relaxing to sit and suntan in there. Staff was so polite and goes out of their way to help you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Ambassador (as we are used to name our guests),

Thank you very much for your positive review. We are really glad to know that the cleanness of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff and the location were key factors which helped you to have a good time in our central hotel boutique in Playa Del Carmen: Illusion Hotel Boutique.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located right off of 5th Avenue and about a one minute walk to the beach. My wife and I stayed in room 309 in July 2013. We were very satisfied with the hotel, as we spent most of our time on the beach. Remember, this is an affordable boutique hotel. They do not advertise themselves to be a luxury hotel and they will do what is necessary to make your stay comfortable.

Here is a rundown of my opinion of the hotel:

1) Free breakfast - little more than water, juice, fruit, and bread. I did not utilize the free breakfast as it was not much of a breakfast. But, because of the location, you could go out and get a great, cheap, authentic Mexican breakfast if you desire.

2) Location - the best we could imagine. Half a block from the beach and right off 5th Avenue. We did not need a car and close enough to walk to the bus terminal to avoid paying $60.00 or more to get back to the airport. The hotel is also very close to my dive shop of choice in Playa. It only took me 5 minutes to walk to Playa Scuba to dive.

3) Room - The room was very clean, but it did smell like Raid bug spray. The positive is that we never saw any bugs. Our room (309) had a nice balcony overlooking the street. Each night, we could hear the bands playing at local restaurants. Our room was also right next to one of the AC condensers that some reviewers have complained about. My wife and I found the ambient noise soothing and it helped us get good nights sleep (even on the admittedly hard mattress).

4) Staff - EXTREMELY nice and helpful. We arrived about 5 hours before check in time and rather than let us store our bags before check in, they found us a room and allowed us an early check in. Many thanks for making our travel day much more pleasant.

5) Free Wi-Fi - very spotty. It seemed to go on and off during the day. Do not count on reliable internet....but heck, it's vacation, so enjoy the beach.

6) Pool - very small and shallow pool on roof. The pool does have an ocean view, but I will admit I never got in the water. Instead, I posted up on the beach. My wife, however, did go to the pool and she was satisfied.

Overall we were very satisfied with this hotel and we would come back for another stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Ambassador(as we respectfuly name our guests),

On behalf of the entire Xperience Family we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our central hotel located in the heart of Playa de Carmen: Illusion Boutique Hotel.
Our Hospitality Devotees will be glad to know that you enjoyed our attentive and personal service in our rooms and facilities. We would also like like to thank you for your recomendations to other future guests as well as some opportunities with maintenance, wifi and breakfast perceived during your stay.Your opinion is very important since it motivates us to improve. Rest assured that this information will be forwarded to the management for its conisderation.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon in a near future!

Warmest regards,

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was close to the beach and the 5th Av. It was a nice surprise to find the room very clean, the staff is very polite and keen to help you.
The room was always clean and there is a safe in the room so you shouldnt have to worry for you belongings. I have to say the hotel is not new but they do look after it, I cant complain.
I travel all the time for living and never left a comment but this hotel was part of a great vacation on my first get away with my GF, they earned it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear ambassador(as we respectfully name our guests),

Thank you for your 5 point review! we are glad to know you and your partner were delighted by our attentive service and cleanliness and beauty of our facilities made from your stay a pleasant one. We are also grateful for your recent visit to our central hotel: Illusion Hotel Boutique.
It is our main goal to deliver our Infinite Hospitality in every of our services and having the outcome in your positive comment, for us it is very rewarding.

Thank you again for taking the time to send your comments and for sharing your Xperience to other future travelers.

Purley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from 4 weeks in Playa del Carmen at the Illusion Boutique Hotel by Experience.The hotel is in an excellent location near the beach and the 5th Avenue shops. I will always have fond memories of my stay due to the wonderful service and attentiveness of every member of the staff,especially Carolina ,Jorge,Orreliano,Elea,and Cynthia ! Had the good fortune to be upgraded to the best room,which was fantastic- spacious ,great view and cooking facilities ! The breakfast was more than adequate and I was never short of fresh fruit! I thoroughly recommend the Illusion Boutique and would definitely stay there again! Annamaria o'Doherty

Room Tip: Book a room on the 4th floor where the pool is!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Anna O
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear ambassador,

It was an honour to host you and pamper you during your stay at one of our central hotels in Playa del Carmen, Illusion Boutique Hotel. We enjoyed very much your company and interesting chats and we are very glad to know that you had the relaxation you were looking for with us. Your comments are our main motivation and we will be glad to recognize to the members of our team you have mentioned.
Thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful comments.

We will be glad to welcome you back in a future, hopefully.

Kirkwood, Missouri
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Illusion Boutique Hotel. Its location is seconds from the beach and the view from the roof terrace out to sea is great. The staff honestly made our time as they were always looking to help and the breakfasts were the best we had in Mexico.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Ambassador (as we name our guests),

Thank you very much for your 5 points review on TripAdvisor! These types of comments make our team very proud of the work they do and is a real motivator us! Furthermore, it is fantastic to know that your stay was a good moment.

We hope to see you soon in our hotel, for another great Mexican Xperience.

Best Regards,