18,220 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platecoffee houseromance conciergespice restaurantdanny boyjose garciafrozen grapeshour loungeocean viewturn down servicetequila barour honeymoonlobby barbeach butlerpresidential suiteil pescatore
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My husband & I just returned from a 7 day stay at the Royal. This was our first trip to Playa. We stayed at the Royal in Cancun last April. Overall we were very pleased with both the accomodations and the service. Many, many staff there go out of their way to please and to provide you with anything you need. We booked an oceanfront for quite a bit more $$ and I'm sorry that we did. We were on the 2nd floor of the center building and had palms blocking quite a bit of our view. Most 2nd floor OF have that problem. Also, the pool area / bar was over the top rowdy. Seriously I am speaking jumping off the roof of Tradewinds and screaming, screaming screaming rowdy. Someone told me that they thought the Royal Cancun was a bit stuffy and RPDC was more laid back. If this is laid back, then no doubt Cancun is stuffy and I may be too! I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the ocean front rooms unless you want to hear these drunken brawls. Luckily, at night things quieted down completely.

We were lucky to enjoy the pool for the last few days of our stay. I can't understand, however, how a 5 Star Hotel would not have a heated pool. The first few days were way to cold to even think about getting in.

Online check in worked very well. I chose a room and was able to go back and make changes easily. I checked in just after midnight, two days prior to our arrival.

Restaurants were very good. We really enjoyed the Chefs Plate. Angel and Charlie were attentive, informative, and really added to the enjoyment of the meal. Wander back towards El Mediterranean and the outside bar area. Reyes, the bartender, was excellent. He always remembered our names and was always smiling. We really enjoyed all of the resturaunts with the exception of Maria Marie which we finally walked out of due to our inability to get the attention of our waiter who became attached to a table of 4 women who arrived after us. We did use room service quite a bit in the morning. The service was very quick and efficient.

Like everyone else, we really enjoyed being so close to 5th Avenue. So, overall I would say that we will likely return again. We did enjoy the actual resort in Cancun more. We like the ocean front rooms, being able to use the pool, and I did find that the rooms in Cancun were larger. The main reason for our likely return to the RPDC would be the proximity to 5th Avenue and the ability go exploring in the area. We also liked that we could walk to the ferry to Cozumel. Overall, an excellent trip.

4  Thank Margaret525
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Although The Royal is an amazing hotel and we loved everything about it, you must make a trip to the Spa at the resort. My husband and I did the 90 minute relaxation couples massage and it was one of the best and "most relaxing" massages we have ever received. We travel 4-6 times per year and always get a massage wherever we stay, not to mention all the massages we like to get in our home town, but this one was unbelievable. We saw Lucy and Rosalba and I would highly recommend them! Thanks to the Royal and their Spa!!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

It was a great trip that not only met expetations but surpassed. The Royal in Playa Del Carmen staff work very hard to meet your needs and some even out shined; Jaime at Pool side, Celia from the tequilla bar, Luis the bellman, Angelo from entertainment and the rest of the entertainment group. The rooms are extremely comfortable all with their own jacuzzi. Plenty of eateries, but we were very dispointed with the italian restaurant. All other restaurants were very good. What I also loved about the resort was the fact that you can walk outside and right into town and the famous 5th Ave, with shopping and plenty of nightlife. You can even jump on the ferry to Cozumel. The ride from the airport was around 45 minutes max. We will be back. Book early they are busy.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MTBQueens_NY
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We booked the hotel online at their website. The roundtrip transportation provided by Best Day Travel was great and highly recommended. Upon arrival, we found that the previous guests to occupy our room had requested a late check-out. It took many hours of sitting and waiting for us to finally get our room. The hotel did apologize for the
inconvenience and gave us a credit for hotel services, such as the spa.
Our room was in the new building, which has the coffee shop and the Mediterranean restaurant. The ocean view master suite was incredible. Two huge rooms, fully equipped with so many comforts. Being an all-inclusive resort, room service, food and drink in the restaurants and drinks at the bars are all free. We carried plenty of U.S. dollars to give as tips. The food at the restaurants was very good. Staff was always very helpful and courteous. We loved our beach cabana! Between the room, beach and pool, and the restaurants, we didn't need to leave the place at all! We will certainly be back again!

2  Thank GregN954
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I stayed at the Royal for a much needed get away. I expected the best, and I absolutely got it!! The staff worked around the clock to keep up the resort's beautiful appearance. You always saw someone out working on landscaping, repainting something or even just drying the floors constantly with a towel (it rained a lot). I loved that I could just step outside the hotel and either lay out at the beach, go shopping or hang out at a bar. The location is amazing.
When we arrived, Johnathan Gonzalez helped us with our bags and was there to help us when we upgraded the next day and when we checked out. All we had to do was give him a time and he was there! I'm always nervous about sending my bags out of my sight because of my laptop and other electronics, but I was very happy to find out he was more than trustworthy. On our last day, we had a few hours to spare between checking out and the bus coming. When I walked by, I saw that he had taken my laptop bag and put it up immediately so it couldn't get stolen. We also left stuff out in the room when the maids came and we never had an issue. This is so important to me, feeling like my stuff was safe.
The entertainment staff was very nice and did their best to keep people entertained. The pool area was fun, but they could definitely use some more chairs out there. I also think they could get some better liquor for the price of the rooms.
My main complaint was that Carla, at the front desk, told us we could upgrade to an Oceanfront room for $450. When we got the room we realized we had to hang our heads off the balcony to see the ocean. Upon confronting her and her manager about this, she very adamently said she told us it was partial view. She didn't, because I know what partial view is and I wouldn't have taken the upgrade. And apparently she hasn't been taught the "customer is always right rule".
Also, for anyone interested in fitness on vacation - they have many yoga, pilates and even spin classes. And the pilates class uses the Stott Pilates machines. I've never seen them anywhere else! The workout room there is the best I've ever seen at a resort/hotel.
But all in all, this place was amazing and I'm already planning a trip back in October!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family