“Awesome and more”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Awesome and more”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Our stay at the Royal Hotel in Playa del Carmen was a magnificant experience. Nothing like starting our all inclusive adventure at a 5 Diamond Luxury Hotel. Even though a little thing called Hurrican Ida tried to crash the party our stay was totally more than expected. The staff goes above and beyond....Hector Corrzo, Bell Boy was outstanding. Thank you Hector, we will always remember you with much fondness. Stephanie who cleaned our room with such care. Gabriela, Real Club was smiles, friendly and helpful. Rubi, our beach butler was smiles and made beach experience (storm and all) so fun. All other staff that I did not get names were smiles and helpful.
I would say the one bad experience was the day of check in, the staff was few, over worked and not all that helpful, nor were they friendly and accommodating. Smiles and accommodating were in very short supply at that front desk, I have nothing good to say about them, they were a total teeth grinding experience. Again, thank you Hector Corrzo.....he stepped in, stepped up and soon had things well in control.
All in all......staff, room, grounds, pools, restaurants, food, drinks......all 5 star.
We plan another trip in the near future and would stay no place else but the Royal. We have been spoiled!!!

2 Thank Abbymay2222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,058)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Calgary
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our romantic stay at the Royal Playa Del Carmen. This resort is unbelievable!!! We choose this resort to celebrate our honeymoon.
When we arrived we were greeted by our romance concierge Anna, who helped us check-in. We were brought a tropical drink and beer right away. Also, we were given cool towels (which felt awesome after our long flight from Calgary).
Great Things About the Hotel:
1. The "Royal Service" --- well worth the money. we got upgraded bath products, Bose sound system in our room and
2. The Royal Ocean View Suite is amazing. We were right on top of the pool, with a wonderful view of the beach as well.
3. Great Pilate studio and spin class room
4. The food is amazing. It is truly 5*. It is worth making a reservation to The Chef's Plate.... we had 2 great meals there.
5. The beach is unbelievable. Soft sand and quite shallow right out into the ocean. Often the ocean was warmer then the pool water. You could walk for miles on the beach.
6. The pools are great. I would recommend using the floating devices and relax and drink a tropical drink
7. The location to 5th Ave is awesome. It is great to walk this strip before dinner and get a little shopping in :)
8. The staff are amazing!!!!! I would especially like to think the following people:
Jesus (server in Spice)
Regina (part of the entertainment team) --- great spin class instructor
Fernando (part of the entertainment team)
Alicia (our maid)
Tony (martini maker in the main lobby at night)
Carlos (best bartender by the pool)

We completely enjoyed our trip. It was the best place to celebrate our honeymoon. I would go back in a heartbeat. In fact, we are looking to re-book in March :)
Tipping does go a long way. The staff go out of their way to make sure you have a great time.
We would recommend this resort to all friends and family.

3 Thank VacayGirl444
warwick,r.i.
Reviewed November 16, 2009

we just got back from our vacation inm playa del carmen. we stayed at the ROYAL. this was our second time there. we stayed there in 2008. it's the greatest place to stay and relax. everyone there takes care of everything you need. my husband was in a wheelchair due surgery on his ankle; everyone was very helpful. the head waiter at the pool JOSE LUIS REYNOSO was there to help at the pool; and get around to the different restaurants and back to his room. VERONICA the hotel corcierge was the greatest she help us everyday with question we had and ANNA in the same offce helps us with our check out. the waitress at the pool VIE and PRUDE; where very helpful at the pool. the entertainment staff made up of ADAM, OSCAR, FERNANDO, ALEX and REGINA they kept us hoping at the pool and at the shows at the theater at night . food was great also at all the restaurants and even at room service too. i have nothing bad to say about this place.JUST KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL OF YOU. i'm hoping to see all of you next year.

1 Thank nanniepauline
Washington DC
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Wonderful place to spend your Playa del Carmen vacation! Had an amazing first ever snorkeling lesson this morning with Oscar - a wonderful teacher who had me swimming about the diving pool in minutes! I was so comfortable with what I learned that I was out on the ocean snorkeling that afternoon and loving it! The staff here is very attentive and willing to help with anything you need. Right on the beach and only a short walk to shopping in Playa del Carmen, you can't beat The Royal!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank anthro06
Connecticut
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Booked this trip through Bookit.com. The experience exceeded my expectations. I have been to other all-inclusives in Cancun, but the Royal takes it to another level. If you check their website believe the photos and 360 tours you see. They are very accurate.

Service: Amazing. Thier motto is "expect the unexpected". Each day on my vacation I was impressed by a different staff members courtesy and attenstiveness. Cleanliness: haven't been to a cleaner resort. Can honestly say I walked barefoot and can't remember a grain of sand anywhere other than on the beach. Staff/Friendliness: Excellent; people like the Consierge Alesandra, Yadi, and Deny's at the pool made me feel like I was the most important guest everyday. Food/Beverage: excellent. the bars served top shelf American brand liquors and carried Coors Light. Not something I have seen in other resorts. Food was 5-Star, almost too gormet at times for a very picky eater, but how can you complain about that. Lastly; walking distance from 5th Avenue which is an amazing shopping area that will impress.
Our Consierge Alesandra was amazing. You could not ask her a question or request that she could not handle. We celebrated my wife's birthday and Alesandra arranged for my room be decorated. She is an asset to the Hotel, they are lucky to have her.

Deny's is a server who works in the pool area. She was the sweetest and friendliest young lady. She will take good care of your drinks and make sure that you are "well hydrated".
The pool staff; Oscar,David, and Adam were very fun and kept the mood light around the pool and provided plenty of entertainment. They would stop by and say hello every morning if for no other reason to say good morning. Never lacking in energy. (Thanks for giving my "sister" the T-Shirt guys)

Juan and the rest of the gentlemen working at the front were great.

My wife and I did the Beach front dinner offered by the hotel; $150.00. Nice setting; food was good, but limited on selection. I would do it again for sure but not for more than $150.00

Spa Azul: My wife and I had a couples massage. Their facility is incredible and definately worth the money.

Thanks to the Royal -Real Resort and their staff for making my vacation for my wife and I truly amazing.

2 Thank bpklett
Central Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We had a great stay at the Royal even with Hurricane Ida moving through. The best thing about this place is the staff. The are so friendly and make it their #1 priority to make your stay perfect. For example, room service did not arrive one day (went to the wrong room), Manuel arranged room service for the remainder of our stay and it arrived punctually at 7:30. Every time we walked by the concierge desk, (or any staff member for that matter) we were met with a hello and "is there anything you need." Can't say enough about the wonderful staff.

Also liked the location in town. It was nice to have the freedom to get off the resort and walk around town, especially 5th Avenue.

Rooms were plenty big. The Bose system is a nice touch, as is the "pillow menu." The in-room jacuzzi was nice, but it takes so long to fill up. Facilities are clean and staff is always working on sprucing up something on the grounds. Would recommend spending a day at the top notch Spa.

Food at all the restaurants was first-class as well. Especially enjoyed Chef's Plate and Pelicanos has a great breakfast.

The towel game at the pool and beach was a little annoying. On a nice day about 1/4 of the chairs had towels on them by 7:30 a.m. and I think when people leave they don't take their towels so some prime chairs look reserved all day, but aren't. And while we had free internet, the connection was not strong and very slow.

2 Thank EPNS
nj
Reviewed November 14, 2009

this was our second time to the royal and i can't wait to book my next trip there. I will never book in another resort. The resort, service, rooms, food, everything was perfect. The manager of the restaurant, Spice, Jose, was awesome. He greeted us every day with a smile and made certain that we had whatever we wanted. The activity staff was equally great. Be sure to participate in Rosario's "lazy" game. She stopped every day to talk and to be sure we were having a great time. Jaime the pool butler, was always nearby to cool us off and is quite the entertainer. If you are going to Playa Del Carmen you should not consider any other resort....This is the place!!!

Scott and Linda