“Winter Break at the Royal”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at the resort Dec. 23 - 30th. Our travel agent recommended this resort because it was close to the downtown area of Playa del Carmen and that there would be other young adults for our daughters to hang out with. We weren't disappointed. I emphasize the young adult thing because most of the reveiws I've read from people traveling during holiday times haven't touched on this fact. The resort is very lively with many young singles, so if you are looking for a quiet place for a romantic getaway Christmas/New Year's week, you might not be happy here.

I agree with all other observations of the resort. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff is responsive, beach is beautiful (very busy with foot traffic because of holiday week). We enjoyed the food very much. Yes, reservations for Maria Marie were needed, but not a big deal at all to get. One night when we were there a couple tried to walk in without a reservation and were turned away not because they didn't have a reservation but because the man was wearing shorts. They are very explicit about dress code for evening wear, so if you don't try to bend their rules you'll do fine. All in all, great place. If I had one criticism it would be that they need to replace about 50% of their beach lounges that are broken.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank NancyG
Write a ReviewReviews (16,632)

Reviewed December 30, 2008

I am several months late writing this review but my husband and I still talk and dream about our trip. The staff went above and beyond for us!! My husband speaks fluent Spanish and really enjoyed talking to the staff - although Spanish is not necessary, it certainly helped when ordering room service. I don't know why the Royal is only rated as a 3* hotel on tripadvisor - it's definitely 4-5 in my opinion. I read all of the reviews before our trip and went with an open mind. The hotel is very clean and beautiful and the open air atmosphere is wonderful. We stayed for 8 days and didn't want to come home. The bed was very plush and comfortable compared to other resorts. We had an ocean view room on the corner that also faced the pool - it was a great location (sorry I can't remember the room number - 2nd floor). I got online and requested our room 48 hours in advance and had no problem when we checked it. The staff did a great job with games/activities but didn't pressure if you didn't want to play. Drink service at the beach and pool were wonderful - we didn't go thirsty. All restaurants are great but Asiana was by far our favorite. We would love to go back to the Royal sometime in the near future!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank XBG531
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We were at the Royal from 8 to 22 December and as I relied on TA reviews so much before booking our holiday I wanted to tell other potential travellers that it is just as good as other reviews say.

The rooms are great, they really are just like all the pictures on this site and on the hotel's own website. The beds are huge, but to be honest not as comfy as some reviews described. It was OK though and I didn't have any difficulty sleeping (that wasn't to do with the time different between PDC and the UK).

I just have a comment about the food, which we thought was very good. We tried all the restaurants and there are some excellent dishes to be had at every one. Likewise there's the odd thing on some menus which are only so-so. We ate at Chefs Plate 4 times and had four really great meals - over and above the standard we've had in any other hotel restaurant. They were not however to the same standard as a top notch UK restaurant - but then I did not expect that. If you're expecting 'Michelin Star' standard you will be disappointed, but I can only ask whatever would make anyone think you'd get that standard for the price you pay for this hotel. My least favourite was the Tapas Restaurant which was disappointing for us but we eat Tapas regularly in Barcelona so that is a hard act to follow.

We had a Royal Junior suite but if we were to go again I would not bother with the up-grade. All the rooms except front ocean view and the other "suites" are exactly the same, and for the amount of time we sat on our balcony to take in our 'side' sea view I did not find the upgrade worth the extra cost. I read a review earlier this year which mentioned being disappointed at having a street facing room, and I didn't fancy that much myself - hence our upgrade. However, don't let the fear of that worry you. It's a quiet, quite pleasant, street that just leads down to the beach with another 'Real' hotel on the opposite side. There is some traffic but not much. I'd take the risk if we stayed here again and then spend the extra dosh on something else.

All in all we had a great holiday with superb staff who go out of their way to be pleasant and give good service.

5  Thank smh1954
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Great stay from start to finish. we were there Nov. 21 to Nov 25 2008, nice touches, Small wedding cake and champagne in the room upon arrival, our 5th anniversary, we stayed in room 830, away from the noise of the pool and nightlife, short walk to the pool and beach, nice. Margaritas gould be stronger, no matter how well we tipped, and we did, 200 pesos a day, to the wait person on the beach, same weak drink, so we put some tequila from the bar in the room in a water bottle and brought it with us and added accordingly. Pelicanos was great for breakfast, no crowd, plenty of wind however. Chef''s plate was great, asian place was heavy handed on the salt, the french mex fusion place was OK. Pool bar was great, gave the fellow 200 pesos and he kept the drinks very strong and quick, nice. Only downside, i could not get a Cold Cold Beer, no matter, tap, can, bottle, nada, from every bar and room service i tried, so, I resorted to putting a few on ice in the room in the sink, it worked, however, too much work. The staff, could not do more for you, called the room, asked if we needed more champagne, anything we wanted, they were there quick. I must confess, we tipped like Gambino Soldiers, i went thru 2160 Pesos (approx 160 American Dollars) and one hundred eighty american dollars, when i ran out of pesos, it worked, we tipped all wait staff except for the chef, we tipped the mariachi band and the followed us, about 7 dudes in white with sombreros and instruments, wild, we were famous.
Tip, wtach out for the cab drivers at the airport, they charge 90 american to the resort, and when we returned to cancun airport, the charge was 45 american, stay away from cancun limo, it's a scam, i booked with them (carlos) a stretch lincoln navigator before we left the states, do not give them a credit card, be very careful, ask your travel agent or the Royal for transfers
we would def go back soon, enjoy...

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cmacNYC
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I just returned from another 7 days of bliss at "The Royal". They remembered me upon arrival. Treated like Royalty again! My stay was from December 20-27th, 2008.

As last time, I did not upgrade my room to a Royal suite, I simply took the regular junior suite and it again was just bliss.

I wrote in September the beach has been erroded due to a hurricane in the Gulf. Fear not the BEACH IS BACK.

As a single travelling at Christmas, the crowd was more mellow, a little older and the singles there were far less due to the time of year. Met great people from all over again.

I was surprised the hotel was not sold out for the time of year. They anticipated a full house so every staff member was on duty and had no days off. Which in reality meant your service was unbelievable. It was great in September, but with a 50% occupancy rate it was nuts.

The pool was very cool and the sun does not stay on the pool all day now. But it was still great. Some of the entertainment staff were hurt in a soccor tournament and the replacements were nice, but seemed not into it like they normally are. The regular staff is back in 2 weeks.

One thing that really bothered me on this trip was that reservations were required at Maria Marie. 50% Occupancy and most folks eating off resort the resturant never had more then 10 tables eating at one time. You have to actually go to the concierge in person to book. Something I simply would not tolerate and told them so. Besides, I went there with no reservations. It was No Problema! So if you are going and its not full give it a go. It worked for me.

The menu at Asiana and Pelicano's has changed a bit. But the food is still quite good. They are making the menu very upscale trying to get their rating up to 5 diamond. I love good food but, they need to leave some favorites on the menu for us folks with simplier pallets. Just order off menu and you will get almost anything you want.

Had an issue with my room key and this time they demanded I come to the desk immediately. They said I was storing my credit card by a credit card. Well, since you dont need credit cards unless going off resort, it was untrue. Why would I need a credit card on the beach? I kept the card in a zip lock bag so I would not have any issues. The maid let me in and I told the manager that keeping someone out to their room was not good service. Oh well, if that is the worst thing that can happen, you will have a great trip!

I just love the intimacy of the resort, the ability to walk around and it not take forever to get somewhere. THe ability to go off resort with needing to take a cab.

If you are into massages, I HIGHLY recommend Samuel, as I had numerous massages there now and he is simply the best. The rest may leave you wondering how they can charge so much money for what you get.

Say hi to Alexis the beach butler there, Adian in sports and activities and Geraldo one of the bellman. There are so many I could list,....ONE, Denys, Silvia, Lily the beach and pool servers that remembered me and remembered what I like. Daniela and Jema the Buffett and Pelicano hostess's

Anyone who goes just needs to get there and relax, the staff will work to take care of your every need. This trip I did notice not many people tipping. These people work their buts off and its worth a few bucks a day.

There were more people very demanding and rude there this time, which is such a shame to have all that anger to take out on this staff.

I am hopeful to return again in May, 2009. I simply cant wait!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
8  Thank KROntario
Reviewed December 27, 2008

This review is more about the Beachfront Walkout Suits

My wife and myself (53-47) stayed at RPDC Dec 6 - 20 2008 and I must say all the reviews I read in the past year are all true. This was the best all inclusive we've stayed at. From the online check in 48 hours before, which for us wasn't as others said, probably because we didn't arrive until late and had to wait for the conseirge to finish up with other people. After 5 there is only 1 in the main lobby. But that was fine cause we were given a drink while we waited, checked in and were taken to the most beautiful room. We chose the beachfront walkout and only had 1 minor problem. There are only 6 non smoking and 4 smoking suites, the non smoking are in the center building and that is what we were in. Online check in allowed us to choose 1 of the 6 and because others had been chosen we had our choice of 3. Fortunately for us we got 517, in the middle. The end unit beside the bar and pool actually has a window looking into the back of the bar. Everyone that got that room got out as soon as they could. The is where the minor problem came in. The pool kind of curves in closer to the walkouts and then there are the loungers. The waitresses walk by this area constantly on the way down to the beach. Best place to be if you want to get drinks all day long. After 12 noon it starts to get pretty loud and foul language. On group from the US setup their ipod dock and inflicted their music and singing on everyone. Most left for the beach and other parts. Because we liked to sit on our patio I had to complain to the concierge and security came and asked them to turn it down or move to a different area. At that time all 6 of them got on their chairs and booed our building, guess it was all about them. For the most part it was fine. But if I can say,and I wish I had heard this before I booked, the farther away from the pool bar the better, unless thats what your there for. We were there for a de-stresser holiday. Enough about that.
Beach was great, there are some rocky areas but lost of areas without as well. Never had a problem with chairs. People played the towel game but we found we would put down towels on the beach chair and go for a walk. When we came back 30 mins later the towels were usually gone. Started putting water with them, towels were gone water still there. Dont know where they went.
The gym was great. We went every morning at 7 and took palates at 8 and patio by 9. Thanks Ragina your the best.
Food was not bad in the main resturant but we only had breakfast and sometimes lunch. We ate at the sit downs for dinner. We liked the Italian one at the Real across the street the best followed by the Asiana , Chiefs Plate, Maria Maria, and the Mexican at the Real. Not large portions but you could have 5 courses and you wouldn't feel bloated.
Shows were better than other all inclusives we have been at. The Thursday, Friday and Saturday were the best, The rope guy on Friday was awsome.
The time share people cornered my wife on the 2nd day telling her that they were not time share. When I came into the conversation to rescue her they told me that they were not. Even after I said "You're time share" she said no. Stay away from them.
5th Ave was great for shopping, the only thing is you get tired of them trying to get you to come into their shops. Never new I had so many "buddies", also asking if I wanted to get high.
All in all it was a great holiday and would highly recommend it to other people. The staff was great, always had some new towel animal at turn down, clean and friendly.
The only other thing I will say is.... these people work for peanuts and extremely long hours, please tip them, they desirve it.

Cheers

10  Thank deigo762
Reviewed December 23, 2008

We were at the Royal in Playa from Dec 14 to Dec 22. This was our 7th time to Mexico - in either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, or Puero Vallarta - and the Royal was by far the nicest resort I have stayed at. We have stayed at Iberostars, Riu's, the Gran Melias. I was not aware you could check in 48 hours in advance to select your room, but we still had a great room anyway. The conciege, Veronique, was very professional and helpful in selecting our room.

The room was beautiful, clean, staff was helpful, and in general, everything was wonderful. The beach and ocean was very nice, not rocky in the water, and the beach was beautiful, and clean. Bring water shoes, though for any excursions. The location of the resort is 1 block from 5th Avenue - lots of activity and things to do off the resort if you wish.

The food was very good, restaurants clean and service generally excellent. Beach Bar service was also good. Drinks were premium liquor and very good.

We had a poolside room which we loved. If you prefer quiet, opt for a room that is not by the pool or ocean front.

All in all, I would definitely return to this resort.

3  Thank vacationqueen31