Went to the Royal with long time friends for a long weekend and we had a wonderful time. Check-in was a little disorganized and tedious but that seems to happen a lot at all-inclusives. Rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Beds were very comfortable, pillows were great! There is a large whirlpool tub in every room; we did not use it but you had a nice view out of the balcony from it.
Food- very pleasantly surprised. My previous experiences with all inclusives hasn't included great cuisine. The Royal had great food. Lots of choices at all of the restaurants and all prepared and presented.
We ate at TAPAS & PINTXOS twice. The shrimp was fantastic. Outside venue and really laid back atmostphere. I really enjoyed it.
MARIA MARIE- French/Mexican cuisine. Good service, very good food.
PELICANO- outside venue, was a beautiful setting. Had very good filet and crab cake.
24 HR. ALL INCLUSIVE VIP LOUNGE- great place to pick up snacks after sitting at the pool/beach. AC filled room w/ pool tables and TV's. We were here during the NCAA tournament and games were always on TV.
SPICE- buffet. Had breakfast and a lunch here. Lots of good choices, cooked to order omelets and tacos. Lots of fruits and baked good and freshly squeezed juice. Have the Marijuna juice!! (its the green juice-apple, pear, spinach and cilatro- no weed :) )
Service was great. Waiters and waitress were everywhere and we never had to look for one or flag one down. ASK for the top shelf liquor. Its available but you have to ask for it. one disappointment was that every drink was a mix. There is a ton of fresh fruit; I would have preferred some real banana in my dirty monkey's or real strawberries in my daquiries. We ended up taking some fruit form the buffet and having the bartenders use those fruits.
Beach - was the major con to this resort. First, you couldn't see the beach from the pool and I enjoy that during a vacation. I like to be able to see the beach and the ocean sitting at the pool. The beach had 3 rows of covered beds and then 6 rows of chairs. The covered beds obscure the view from the beach and take a lot of room. Another disappointment was that it seemed to be a public beach. The service was still great. But with the ferry next to the resort and locals on the beach, it took away from the overall atmostphere. It made the beach very busy and less relaxing.
The location of the Royal is a big advantage. It is one block from 5th Avenue. There are shops, restaurants and bars a hop skip and a jump away. We went out shopping one day and we had dinner and drinks out one night as well. We ran the gamit from experienced travelers to never being out of the country before and every one felt safe and enjoyed the promenade.
I'm not sure I would return to the Royal again, because of the beach that is very important to me, but I would recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico