“Superb Service - Travel Agent Review”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Joseph, Illinois
“Superb Service - Travel Agent Review”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I own a travel agency in East Central Illinois and we escorted a group to The Royal PDC on Feb. 1- 5. The group consisted of 15 rooms and was a local business incentive/ reward trip. We take our business very seriously and travel year round to different destinations and resorts evaluating them so we have first hand experience for our clients. We had toured The Royal PDC in the past and new it was a great resort. This was our first time actually staying on property and experiencing what the resort has to offer.

The short answer is The Royal PDC has a LOT to offer and then some.

The location of the resort is just about the perfect combination of beach and town you can find. With the bars, clubs, and shopping of 5th Ave. right outside the door. The resort itself is a perfect size and the rooms are large and very clean. The vast majority of the rooms are identical and just vary in location but they do offer larger suites as well that are spectacular. We had requested that our group not be near the construction but when we arrived 5 of the rooms were in the block next to the construction. The resort was sold out and typically runs a very high occupancy rates anyway. Luckily one of the rooms was ours because we did not care ,but we were naturally concerned for our clients. We checked in very early (11am) and only a couple of the rooms were ready but our clients expected this.

Service, to us, is much more than wait staff getting drinks at the pool. With any resort there will be something that doesn't please you. That is just reality, although some people don't have an ounce of reality in them. The problem may be small or it may be big. How does the general staff, front desk, concierge, and management deal with issues and problems? This is what separates the great with the good or so so. Do they brush it off or do they find a solution or correct the problem and what is their attitude in doing so?

The room issue was dealt with swiftly and appropriately. Nothing could be done that day because of occupancy so rooms were reserved for our clients away from the construction for the next day. The process to do this was effortless because of one individual, that for me, is the best service person I have ever dealt with. Thank you so much GERARDO RAMOS. This man is one of the front of house butlers and was always right at the front entrance of the lobby, unless of course he was working hard to help someone. Gerardo would recognize me from across the lobby and seek me out to make sure our stay was as expected. The man was incredible. When he could solve the problem, he would. But, if it took someone else he knew exactly who to go to make sure things were done. We had the A/C unit go down in one of the rooms and Gerardo was not even involved with getting it fixed but he felt the need to follow up with us to make sure it was corrected. Of course it was fixed with out issue.

I really could make a list a mile long of all the things Gerardo did not only for our group but for my wife and I. Anything we approached him, or the rest of the staff for that matter, was handled without issue. All of the wait staff, bartenders, and pool staff were amazing as well. Drinks were easy to come by.

I wanted to also mention about the food at this resort. It was all outstanding!! Some of the best we have had at an all-inclusive. Asiana was our favorite but all the restaurant were truly great. For lunch,we really loved Pelicanos and the tappas restaurant next to it. Try the pitchers of Sangria!

We were able to provide travel service for this same group last year but they have been taking a trip of this style for about 5-6 years and many in the group told us that The Royal PDC was the best yet! Everyone was really pleased with the resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank millsjr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,110)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This is without a doubt the nicest resort I have ever stayed at. If you get a chance to visit make sure you try all the restaurants that they offer .The beaches are remarkable the servers are great when out by the pool look for Prude she is a character but in good way. I would have to rate my stay at the Royal Playa del Carmen 4.8 out of 5 the only thing I can say bothered me a little the bed was tough getting used to mattress was a bit stiff. I will definitely be back to the Royal Playa del Carmen sometime in my future. ..

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert S
Tuscola, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I spent Jan 30-Feb 3 at the Royal for our 20th anniversary. The staff was amazing , Ara, for her service around the pool ,Melisa for the massage, and Enrique and Wendy for their help and hospitality. The food was amazing , especially the Ribeye Steak at Asiana. The rooms are breathtaking, the maid service and room service are unmatched anywhere. Truly one of the most beautiful places in the world. Everything was top notch and we will definitely return.

1 Thank Doug E
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Royal Playa del Carmen. An awesome experience. From the moment we were welcomed there until we left we were very pampered and made to feel special. The employees were so friendly and helpful. Carlos went out of his way to help answer any questions we might have. Our housekeeper, Aiela, went out of her way to be sure our room was the best it could be. She did a wonderful job. The staff was very good about helping us with our transit for excursions. The many restaurants there were fabulous. We visited them all except "Chef's Plate". Not sure which one would be our favorite but especially liked Maria Marie, Asiana and the Italian place across the street. We ate our breakfast most of the time at Spice. Really enjoyed the variety of food and the made to order omlets. We had a swim up room which we loved. We were next to the construction but it wasn't that bad. Laura was so nice to check on us and see if there was anything she could bring for us especially while we were sitting on the deck or in our pool. The beach was beautiful with white sand and the ocean was right there. Walking on the beach was so nice and also romantic. I would definitely recommend this place to friends, family and all. They know how to do it up right!

Room Tip: Loved the swim up room.
2 Thank Ginny S
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I spent 6 nights (1/28 - 2/ 3). We loved every moment!! We chose this property because (among other reasons) we like to take long walks along the beach. We were able to safely walk miles in either direction. Some quick observations:

1) Overall: They know how to do things right. Management clearly has a "system" and it reflects itself in how smoothly and professionally the employees do their jobs and how seamlessly everything operates. They want to pamper you and it shows.

2) Location: About 45 minutes from the Cancun airport. If you're a shopper, there's lots of high quality as well as touristy shopping. There's even a Wal-Mart within walking distance.

3) Food: I'm afraid to get on the scale. There are 7-8 restaurants on premises. Some are buffet, some are sit down / waiter service. The quality of food is great though you won't see some of the fancy buffet displays (carvings, fountains, etc.) that I've seen at some other all-inclusives. They never run out of anything and the quality is excellent. Don't see something you want; want it prepared differently... done in a snap, and with a smile. Our favorite breakfast & lunch restaurant was "Spice." Our favorite dinner restaurant was "Maria Marie." We tried their gourmet restaurant "Chef's Plate," but it wasn't really our thing. There's a steep up charge and it has a "tasting menu." That means no choices. The filet minion and tuna were very good but overall not my kind of place for dinner. I like lots of choices so some of the other restaurants were more to my liking. Don't forget to try the Asian Restaurant (Asiana)

4) Layout: It's easy to get around. You neither felt there was a long walk from one area to another nor was it too crowded. If you're looking for a garden / park like setting, this is not it. On the other hand, the way the buildings and pools were laid out, I was very comfortable.

5) Pools: The main pool is the "activities pool." We spent most of our time there. It could be considered noisy because of the all day structured activities going on there and the constant music. We enjoyed it because of the "buzz." There are other pools around the property if you like quiet or need a swim up bar. The pools are never crowded.

6) Employees: They treat you like royalty! They are all well trained and professional. They ask you to mention them by name in Trip Advisor (a bit tacky) and even give you their business card with a TA logo on it. I will simply say that they are ALL outstanding.

7) Spa: Don't miss the opportunity to get a massage or just go to the spa use the steam room, sauna, hot tub, etc. We each had two massages. That's ultimate relaxation.

8) Room: There is construction going on next door so stay away from rooms starting with the numbers 6,7,8,9. (See map @ http://www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html?maps/map-RoyalPlayaDelCarmen-RivMaya.jpg) We stayed in a 1xx room and loved it. It was on the first floor so use of the terrace was not as enjoyable as if on a higher floor. On the other hand, we found it easy to shoot in and out of a first floor room as needed. The rooms are spacious, clean and have a large hot tub. The bedding is scrumptious and you get a choice of pillows. Lots of channels on the TV, two sinks, bathrobes and slippers, I- room drinks and snacks (included). Try the free room service... a great selection 24/7

I can go on and on. This place was wonderful. Got questions? Feel free to e-mail me. I enjoy talking to fellow travelers.

Len
Lenrosenberg@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that begin with 6, 7, 8, 9. They are close to construction next door
6 Thank lenrosenberg
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the Royal for her 50th birthday and we loved it!
The staff are very courteous and friendly.
The food (for the most part) was excellent.

My wife tried the duck at Asiana, and couldn't cut it with a knife.
They were very gracious and wanted to bring her another dinner, but my wife was actually full from a late lunch, so no harm no foul...

The drinks were pretty good.
The pool was nicely laid out in front of the beach.
And our room, Jr Ocean View Suite, was incredible and spacious.

We enjoyed Pelicanos by the beach for lunches.
Maria Marie for 2 dinners (very good).
Asiana for one great meal and one disappointing meal.
And Spice for buffet breakfasts.

All in all, one of the best and relaxing vacations we've taken.

Most people were out around 6 or 7am reserving lounge chairs, but even when I didn't get down their early to reserve one, we had no problem finding a spot.

I was lucky enough to come across reviews mentioning the construction on the North side of the resort.
People were saying that the noise wasn't too bad, but noise isn't the real issue.
That new hotel completely blocks the view of the entire North area of the Royal.
It's horrible what the new hotel has done!
It is literally 10 feet away from the Royal's rooms. It's claustrophobic!
Stay away from the North rooms, but don't stay away from this resort.
It's amazing.

Room Tip: Anywhere near the main pool away from construction. Get a 2nd or 3rd floor room.
1 Thank jeff p
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This resort was wonderful! We had swim up rooms, yes by construction, and it didn't bother us at all. Barely heard it. Swim Up pools were awesome and totally worth it as we spent most our time in the swim up pool. It was hot so pool temps were perfect, cool but not cold. The service at this resort is the best we have had. From our maid (Aida Canto), who did an amazing job with our room and towel art, to the wait staff at our pool (Vi and Ernie) we never went without a drink, they kept coming all day. Food was excellent, recommend Asiana and go next door to the sister resort to the Mexican Restaurante Maria (Best Food by Far). Coffee Bar was a nice treat in the morning. Everything to the food and service exceeded our expectations. Beach was ok, not the prettiest one, more public than private, but heck a beach is a beach. Didn't smell anything bad out there at all. This resort is right by 5th avenue in downtown Playa, very nice and safe. Was nice to be able to walk around and even have Starbucks. Pricey stores, but was fun to browse. Overall great trip, the staff works so hard, they never stop and it makes this resort a step above the rest. Please tip them, they are worth it!!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are fabulous, couldn't even notice the construction
1 Thank Jami L