My wife and I own a travel agency in East Central Illinois and we escorted a group to The Royal PDC on Feb. 1- 5. The group consisted of 15 rooms and was a local business incentive/ reward trip. We take our business very seriously and travel year round to different destinations and resorts evaluating them so we have first hand experience for our clients. We had toured The Royal PDC in the past and new it was a great resort. This was our first time actually staying on property and experiencing what the resort has to offer.
The short answer is The Royal PDC has a LOT to offer and then some.
The location of the resort is just about the perfect combination of beach and town you can find. With the bars, clubs, and shopping of 5th Ave. right outside the door. The resort itself is a perfect size and the rooms are large and very clean. The vast majority of the rooms are identical and just vary in location but they do offer larger suites as well that are spectacular. We had requested that our group not be near the construction but when we arrived 5 of the rooms were in the block next to the construction. The resort was sold out and typically runs a very high occupancy rates anyway. Luckily one of the rooms was ours because we did not care ,but we were naturally concerned for our clients. We checked in very early (11am) and only a couple of the rooms were ready but our clients expected this.
Service, to us, is much more than wait staff getting drinks at the pool. With any resort there will be something that doesn't please you. That is just reality, although some people don't have an ounce of reality in them. The problem may be small or it may be big. How does the general staff, front desk, concierge, and management deal with issues and problems? This is what separates the great with the good or so so. Do they brush it off or do they find a solution or correct the problem and what is their attitude in doing so?
The room issue was dealt with swiftly and appropriately. Nothing could be done that day because of occupancy so rooms were reserved for our clients away from the construction for the next day. The process to do this was effortless because of one individual, that for me, is the best service person I have ever dealt with. Thank you so much GERARDO RAMOS. This man is one of the front of house butlers and was always right at the front entrance of the lobby, unless of course he was working hard to help someone. Gerardo would recognize me from across the lobby and seek me out to make sure our stay was as expected. The man was incredible. When he could solve the problem, he would. But, if it took someone else he knew exactly who to go to make sure things were done. We had the A/C unit go down in one of the rooms and Gerardo was not even involved with getting it fixed but he felt the need to follow up with us to make sure it was corrected. Of course it was fixed with out issue.
I really could make a list a mile long of all the things Gerardo did not only for our group but for my wife and I. Anything we approached him, or the rest of the staff for that matter, was handled without issue. All of the wait staff, bartenders, and pool staff were amazing as well. Drinks were easy to come by.
I wanted to also mention about the food at this resort. It was all outstanding!! Some of the best we have had at an all-inclusive. Asiana was our favorite but all the restaurant were truly great. For lunch,we really loved Pelicanos and the tappas restaurant next to it. Try the pitchers of Sangria!
We were able to provide travel service for this same group last year but they have been taking a trip of this style for about 5-6 years and many in the group told us that The Royal PDC was the best yet! Everyone was really pleased with the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico