My wife and I spent 6 nights (1/28 - 2/ 3). We loved every moment!! We chose this property because (among other reasons) we like to take long walks along the beach. We were able to safely walk miles in either direction. Some quick observations:
1) Overall: They know how to do things right. Management clearly has a "system" and it reflects itself in how smoothly and professionally the employees do their jobs and how seamlessly everything operates. They want to pamper you and it shows.
2) Location: About 45 minutes from the Cancun airport. If you're a shopper, there's lots of high quality as well as touristy shopping. There's even a Wal-Mart within walking distance.
3) Food: I'm afraid to get on the scale. There are 7-8 restaurants on premises. Some are buffet, some are sit down / waiter service. The quality of food is great though you won't see some of the fancy buffet displays (carvings, fountains, etc.) that I've seen at some other all-inclusives. They never run out of anything and the quality is excellent. Don't see something you want; want it prepared differently... done in a snap, and with a smile. Our favorite breakfast & lunch restaurant was "Spice." Our favorite dinner restaurant was "Maria Marie." We tried their gourmet restaurant "Chef's Plate," but it wasn't really our thing. There's a steep up charge and it has a "tasting menu." That means no choices. The filet minion and tuna were very good but overall not my kind of place for dinner. I like lots of choices so some of the other restaurants were more to my liking. Don't forget to try the Asian Restaurant (Asiana)
4) Layout: It's easy to get around. You neither felt there was a long walk from one area to another nor was it too crowded. If you're looking for a garden / park like setting, this is not it. On the other hand, the way the buildings and pools were laid out, I was very comfortable.
5) Pools: The main pool is the "activities pool." We spent most of our time there. It could be considered noisy because of the all day structured activities going on there and the constant music. We enjoyed it because of the "buzz." There are other pools around the property if you like quiet or need a swim up bar. The pools are never crowded.
6) Employees: They treat you like royalty! They are all well trained and professional. They ask you to mention them by name in Trip Advisor (a bit tacky) and even give you their business card with a TA logo on it. I will simply say that they are ALL outstanding.
7) Spa: Don't miss the opportunity to get a massage or just go to the spa use the steam room, sauna, hot tub, etc. We each had two massages. That's ultimate relaxation.
8) Room: There is construction going on next door so stay away from rooms starting with the numbers 6,7,8,9. (See map @ http://www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html?maps/map-RoyalPlayaDelCarmen-RivMaya.jpg) We stayed in a 1xx room and loved it. It was on the first floor so use of the terrace was not as enjoyable as if on a higher floor. On the other hand, we found it easy to shoot in and out of a first floor room as needed. The rooms are spacious, clean and have a large hot tub. The bedding is scrumptious and you get a choice of pillows. Lots of channels on the TV, two sinks, bathrobes and slippers, I- room drinks and snacks (included). Try the free room service... a great selection 24/7
I can go on and on. This place was wonderful. Got questions? Feel free to e-mail me. I enjoy talking to fellow travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Jetsetter, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico