We stayed at the sister resort across the road but ate and spent most of our time at The Royal.
Our favourite restaurant was the Mediterranean. We ate there for lunch twice and twice for dinner because the selection and quality was so good. At lunch, it is a buffet restaurant with salad, pasta, pizza, grill, etc. There are grilled vegetables, different meats, etc. with the selection and quality that allows you to have many different combinations. The desserts at this restaurant were our favorite.
We ate at Spice for breakfast a few times and the selection was very good. The fresh omelettes were excellent and the cook would make them any way you wanted them. The food on the buffet was very fresh and the quality was great. The pastries were very fresh and delicious.
Luis, the manager of food and beverages, recommended Maria Marie's for dinner one night and he did not lead us incorrectly. We started with the ceasar salad which was excellent. We ordered the sweet and sour shrimp and the monkfish medalions and both were mouth-watering. The monkfish fell melted in your mouth. For dessert, we had the soufflé and it was very good. The service couldn't have been better.
We had two dinners at The Chef's Plate. This restaurant enforces the dress code and therefore men need to wear long pants and close-toed shoes. The menu is set by the chef for the night so ask for it before you book, They will work around allergies but the menu is set. The server explains each course to you and starts with an amuse bouche from the chef and then includes 6 other courses. The breads and butters are excellent and I did not have anything we didn't like. The service was excellent with just the right amount of interaction without being intrusive.
We had two breakfasts and a dinner at Pelicanos. The breakfast was good and started with toasts and pastries which were very fresh. We tried the painters pallet (fresh fruit), waffles, French toasts, breakfast tortilla and pancakes with chocolate sauce. The only thing that we didn't care for was the breakfast tortilla. For dinner we had the seafood soup and the tortilla soup and both were very good, we had the coconut shrimp and the duck and again both were very good. Pelicanos is outside at the beach and therefore has a good view.
Our favorite restaurant was the mediteranean. We had lunch and dinner in this restaurant multiple times. For lunch, this is a buffet restaurant with a great selection of salad, soup, pasta, pizza, grilled vegetables and hot dishes including various meats. For dinner we had the chicken marsala, and the New York Striploin steak. The steak was so good the first night, we both ordered it the second time we ate here. It was very tasty and quite tender. The servers were very attentive and couldn't do enough to please us.
We had lunch a couple of times at Asiana's. We had the spring rolls, some sushi (rainbow and California rolls) as well as tepanyaki. We tried the shrimp, beef and mixed tepanyaki and had the beef twice, with the first time being excellent and the second time, it was tough. The shrimp and mixed were excellent. We had this with the fried rice which was very good. For dessert, you must try the deep fried ice cream.
Needless to say, we enjoyed all the food immensely but came back heavier than when we arrived.
The one day we had nice weather, we spent by the pool where we could see the ocean and it was a great location. The server came around quite often and brought anything you wanted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico