“First vacation in 2 years.”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tomkins Cove, New York
“First vacation in 2 years.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The hotel was fairly good. I think the maid service could've been better. If we half finished something like soda and put it back in the minibar it wasn't replaced. The pool was very nice and the pool service was good. The only thing that I feel they should change is the fact that they don't allow food by the pool or in the beach area. The spa was very good. I did my 1st polar plunge and it was amazing. The staff was very hospitable and tried to meet all your needs. At times we had to wait a bit for our dinner to come at the restaurants. The buffet was also very good.

Room Tip: The rooms seem pretty well but if you can afford an upgrade, why not?
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are excited you enjoyed your stay
Also, we would like to mention that your comments are important for us and we are grateful that you take some minutes from your valued time and make this review from us, this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. Thank you again for your value review and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,072)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from 8 fabulous days at the Royal, it was my 4th time at the resort & I will definitely be back, it feels like coming home we you arrive.
The staff are what makes this resort.
Among our favorite people were Rigo, Diego & Genis at Maria Marie who were fabulous in aiding my with my wheat allergy, Cruz at Tapas, Fernando at Pelicanos, and last but not least Bob at Asiana.

The poolside concierge team lead by Oscar, including Jamie, Lopez & Yvonne, and our waiter/ress Laura, Celia & Christopher, bartenders Jeysson (THE BEST BARTENDER EVER), Luis & Carlos.

The entertainment staff kept us busy all day with stretching, scuba, bracelet making, croquet, Spanish lessons (thanks Carlos), bingo & Texas Holdem (best dealer ever Katie), dancing lessons with Juan & Victor, water aerobics with Danny, Oskar, Leslie, CocoBongos with Alex , Pilates with Regina and blackjack & crazy games with the fabulous Jesus, this guy had us laughing so hard every day.
The poolside music was vastly improved this year thanks to Gabriel.
My only complaint was the band they had down by the pool on either Wednesday or Thursday afternoon , they were horrible, they made me want to go back to my room, please just let the regular music play.
We went the Chefs plate with Katie and had a great time.
The nighttime shows were great they have switched up some of the shows which is nice it was good to see the same team of Javier, Paty, Ricardo, Iris and Jessica
We will definitely be returning soon!!

Buffalo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was a travel agent, and have been to plenty resorts throughout the Caribbean. I usually travel in a group of about 20. A few years ago, I visited The Royal in Cancun. I fell in love! The following year, my group stayed at The Royal Playa del Carmen. What a beautiful, all around excellent, resort. All the little extras were there. The food was fantastic (and I am often referred to as "food baby" because I am ridiculously finicky). The alcohol was top shelf. There were plenty of beach or pool loungers, and we never wanted for anything.
Our group was so happy with this resort, we returned November 13 for an eight night stay. My husband and I were married at the Iberostar Grand in Jamaica last September. This resort was absolutely wonderful, however the overwhelming consensus was---The Royal PDC was still better. This visit, we brought people who hadn't gone with us the first time so we were eager to share the gem we discovered. I honestly can't tell you how disappointed we were.
I will start with check in. My husband and I upgraded friends as a special gift to them. They checked in on line and were assigned room 511. This is an ocean front swim out suite. We were happy to have the same room as our last visit. Upon arrival, we were told not only was that room not available, but none of the ocean front swim out suites were. I was disgusted and angry at this point.
The next thing that happened was the rain. Nobody's fault, we know. One woman in our group slipped on the wet floor and required 6 stitches at te resort doctor's office and a CT scan at a local hospital the next day due to throwing up all day! The hotel didn't have any caution signs up prior to the fall, but after there were 5 in that small space. The hotel charged her $275 for the doctor's visit!!!!!! It obviously ruined her trip!
We had 17 in our group. This visit, we were informed we could only order 4 things to a room at one time for room service! We were not able to get canned beer at either pool bars. So we had to get out of the pool to go into Pelicano's to get beer. And, again, only 4 at a time. This was not the resort we remembered!
There were differences in the service also. Most staff was great. I was disappointed in the lobby bar staff. They didn't seem to be bothered with the guests waiting for service.
Overall, the resort is a 4star, not the 5plus it used to be. Our group will be visiting another resort instead of returning to this one. It's a shame because The Royal was so amazing!

3 Thank bzolover
thuis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We are back for five weeks in The Royal
We are so happy to back in our second home . William was on the airport waiting for us. Amazing so nice We check in with Nancy the girl from the Real club
We have the first days a little bit of rain . But now it's hot en we can lay in our cabana
When we need some special things we ask Charon and Marco for assistant us .
We like the food . The cook make every day a special lunch . Thanks for Paco and Jose the ask every day what we would like to eat.
The noisy construction is ACCEPTABLE .......
It.s better than very cold weather. And the see is beautiful . Thank you my friends in The Royal for the very good service

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank senoritaThuis
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

From te moment we arrived we immediately felt like Royalty.
The transport went smooth and once we got to the resort we were escorted to a private check in with our romance concierge Charon.
She was just wonderful and explained us everything about the resort.
We loved the food and our favorite was the Mediterranean where Paco was always waiting for us with a smile
Also a must visit is the coffee house with Andrea
At the pool we met many nice people from all over the world.
The room was very clean the girl was very nice , thank you Aida for the nice flowers on the bed.
We just had an amazing time and I can go on and on about how amazing this resort is but you just have to go and find out yourself
We are already planning our next tripe.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from the royal. This is our 2nd time. We stayed in rm 533 it was amazing. The service is so wonderful. My favorites were Antonio at the lobby bar. Ari, Mario, Jose, archangel, Andrea at the pool bars. Nancy always cleaned our room and made beautiful flower arrangements on our bed. Lopez signed us up for Lobster dinner with jazz band and it was worth every penny! Chefs plate is a must as well. This resort is right on 5th avenue. We watched football (nfl) games at the local tequila barrel. We met amazing friends and had a great time. The ocean was gorgeous and I recommend taking out the small sailboat and parasailing. Start tipping in the first day and you are guaranteed to get top shelf drinks and incredible service. Everyone at the royal wants you to have a good time and it shows! I will be returning. This is my favorite all inclusive resort. Thanks for another wonderful trip! Mandy :)

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just got back yesterday. Not a five star...a five diamond!

Simply an amazing resort. I am a frequent traveller and me and my family have been going down south every year for the last 10 years mostly in Punta Cana and Jamaica. I've been to Bora Bora for 12 days at the Meridian (5*) and even travel around the world, but, The Royal is, by far, the best service and food overall! It is just simply amazing. Being from Montreal, Quebec, I like good restaurants (Chez Julien, 40 West, etc) and let me tell you the quality of the restaurant at the hotel are equivalent or better.

They advertise international alcool...and it is true! The rooms are just amazing and the room service (24h) is swift and efficient! I had an issue with my lock and the guy was at my room within minutes with a new lock!

The Spa service (with Isabel) is not expensive and they provide a very professional service in a very beautiful, state of the art and extremely well maintained environment. A 50 minutes massage cost me 89 US$, same as in Montreal.

The non-reservation for most restaurant is fun. You can walk-in at any time for dinner and you will be greeted with a beautiful smile.

The beach allows very long walk and yes you can keep your bag on your chair without any worries as the bar staff and the security are always around. After the second, I did not even have to asked for what I wanted for drinks! The guy was always bringing me my bottle of water and my Pina Colada!

No one bothers you on the beach to purchase anything and you can get out of the resort and walk, securely, in Play Del Carmen at night on the 5th avenue to enjoy the crowd.

I am going back for sure next November with my wife this time!

Room Tip: There is still construction going on on the lot besides the hotel, so avoid section 600 and 700.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends