The Royal Playa del Carmen
$200
  • Pool
$191
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$297
$278
$587
$301
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$761
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
$472
$973
$450
17,582 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platecoffee houseromance conciergespice restaurantjose garciadanny boyfrozen grapeshour loungeocean viewturn down servicetequila barour honeymoonlobby barpresidential suitebeach butleril pescatore
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Royal in Playa Del Carnen is top of my list when picking a hotel to stay at while in Mexico. I have been traveling to Playa, Cancuna and Cozumel from Houston for over 20 years. It's rated a 5 Star and this is 100% acurate rating. From the staff to the food, to the hotel accomidations it truly is top notch. Name brand booze, food tastes great and the rooms are beautiful. The bellman, ALEX is awesome...his kind nature and willingness to help is over the top! He always has a smile on his face and he has got to be one of the best employees at The Royal!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank karen n
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed this resort. Yes we were by the construction but it really didn't bother us. Our room was a master suite and it was lovely. I wanted to take the whole room home.
We really enjoyed Pelicanos. Chef Rudi, Rodoita and Jose made sure we were well taken care of. We spent the extra $$ for the seafood platter one day....well worth it. We also loved Asianas. Spice grill had a nice breakfast buffet,but lunch there was just ok. Did not care for the buffet at Mediterranenan...very few choices. Pelicanos sit down breakfast was excellent.
I went to Pilates three days. Regina and Edith were superlative teachers and really made sure the workout was tough and thorough. A massage from Lucy at the spa was one of the best ever. Ruth who brought drinks in the beach was also wonderful

Back to our room. Our housekeeper, Alejandra Hernandez made sure the room was stocked with snacks, immaculate and lovely (think towel
swans).
We really had a lovely stay here...even the rain didn't dampen our spirits. Just stay away from everyone trying to sell you timeshares...at the airport and the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cookjar
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My family recently traveled to Playa del Carmen for my sisters wedding. when we first booked I chose the Royal Junior room. 48 hrs before travel you have the option to upgrade which was great however they did not have available what I was hoping for. I had to call the hotel directly to get it figured out and they gave the list of categories that were available. one of them was the Master Suite. I looked at it online and couldn't believe all you got for what seemed like a small amount for the upgrade, seemed to good to be true and turned out it was. there are more than one master suite categories that of course are not listed on the website. that was pretty disappointing.

Once we got our room I was not happy to find out there was construction right outside and all the rooms in our suite category were on that side of the resort. however, the food staff and resort itself were amazing
I highly recommend Emilio at the tradewinds bar. he can mix up any drink you want as well as his own awesome creations.

Half way through our trip I found out they decided to move us without notice and the room was near the lobby and a lot smaller (didn't have a separate bedroom or large table) but since it was just the 2 of us it was ok since it had a way better view. just don't stay near the lobby if you like to go to bed early. the nightly entertainment goes till 11pm or midnight.

our next disappoint came when we were told they needed to do emergency maintenance on our room and would upgrade us to the presidential suite but when we went to get it set up they had our check out date off by one so they re recanted the offer :(

all in all it was a nice place, just don't read to much into the perks - you could be disappointed

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Left side, that is where the construction is... almost all the swim up and master suites are affected by the noise which starts at 6am almost every day. Don't choose a room close to the lobby since the nightly entertainment goes quite late and is very loud.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LuckyStarz27
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Trip report from 10-15 thru the 21st.. PERFECT WEATHER!!!!! We were LUCKY!!

My sister and I recently returned from 6 glorious days at The Royal PDC and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation experience. We were greeted upon our arrival with a glass of champagne and a refreshing cool towel. We were escorted to the "My Time" check in desk...and after a quick tour of the upgrade we requested, and a slight mis-communication...we were in our magnificent ocean front suite....we splurged..after all ......life is short!! Many thanks to Hayde and Gala and Rigor for making it all happen! We had never done an all inclusive before and we had a simply FABULOUS experience. The room was constantly cleaned and really we couldn't have asked for better service, we asked for extra beer the first day and we never had to ask again. Thanks Carlos!!!
Turndown service and towel animals were always so nice to come "home" to when we were done for the evening, simply perfect.

We ate at all the restaurants and the Italian one next door and enjoyed all of our meals..especially loved my meal at El Mediterraneano and we both enjoyed Spice for breakfast, mostly because you can have anything you could think of for breakfast, from mini tortillas and entire cheese assortments, to French toast, made to order eggs and omelets and any fruit imaginable.
We particularly enjoyed the Tequila Bar...Reyes and Arbey behind the bar were always fun and friendly and they made really great drinks ;-) they were always a real pleasure to be around. Viki, Francis and Montiel took such great care of us while we relaxed after dinner. They all really helped make our stay memorable and special.
We thoroughly enjoyed the beach, the water is beautiful and yes there are some rocks outside of the roped off swim area..but the water is so crystal clear they are hard NOT to see so you an avoid them quite easily. You can just stand knee deep and watch all kinds of tropical fish just swimming by...pretty amazing stuff. People were having a blast snorkeling just under the pier as well. The underwater springs were pretty interesting and as we found out were the cause of the sulphur smell that occasionally was around..but to stand and feel cold water coming up from under the sand was very cool . We also spent a day by the pool which was always full, fun and hopping!! Ernesto, Ruth and Celia took great care of us and we never were in need of a beverage, they really work hard at making sure everyone has what they need.
We enjoyed a spa treatment and Elizabeth and Evelyn took such good care of us as we rarely get massages and were a bit nervous about the whole process.We arrived early and took advantage of the sauna and steam room as well and the jacuzzi , all of which anyone can use at anytime....pretty cool!!

We discovered the VIP lounge a spec late...but you can make yourself a drink or grab a beer and snack on guacamole and chips or almost anything else you could think of while catching up on sports....anytime of day or night..what a great idea...nice touch!!!

The construction,we learned, will be the Hyatt Royal and act as another sister resort, so I can't wait to see it when it's completed. They were at it early in the morning until late at night and I can see if you were over there and spending some serious day time in your room, it could be annoying, but we walked around the resort a lot and only noticed the noise a few times when we were over on that side.
We absolutely give the resort and the staff a 5 STAR rating and we cannot wait until we can get back to this beautiful place.
Overall this place is PHENOMENAL and I would recommend it to anyone who would listen.

Thanks so much for everything!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were here in 2011, have traveled to other Caribean resorts since and haven't found anything as great. We booked two weeks here and brought a couple of friends with us. The staff was exceptionally friendly & the food was still great. Every request was promptly fulfilled. I wouldn't change a thing. We consistantly left our iphones out to charge in the room, I left jewelery out of the safe & even money (no more than 200 pesos) and it never disappeared. It helped to make our room feel like home. The weather was fantastic! We did a couple of day trips. I would not recomend going to Cozumel and renting a car. The people who are staying in Cozumel are coming to Playa because it is by far better food, shopping & beach. When all was said and done it took an hour and a half to finalize the rental & it cost around $80 USD. The drive around the island was not good either. So whatever it cost, there was very little view of the water. We also went to Xel-Ha. Tons of fun but bring extra money for snorkle gear & the zip line is extra. Back at the resort, the Pilates with Regina is AWESOME, I was able to use the sauna and steam facilities in the spa whenever I wanted (oceanview room category), Earnesto delivering drinks around the pool is a star, Fanny at the front desk took care of everything we needed & quick, Francisco in Maria Marie's made our evenings very special. I want to stress how important I think it is for your staff to be happy & go that extra mile in a caring way. Long story long, our friends left after the first week. That was a Monday. We stayed in Playa del Carmen untill Saturday morning when we checked out & took a cab to the Royal in Cancun. I had arranged this at the beginning of our stay so we thought even though check in is at 3, maybe we could get in a bit early, otherwise, we will hang out at the resort! I mean, we were quickly shown our room at 1:00 when we arrived in Playa. Not the case in Cancun. We didn't get into our room until 4:00 and likly wouldn't have seen it that early if it wasn't for a waiter looking into it for us. After I spoke to front desk and the Manager. Both who were very apathetic. Our overall welcome and service was not kind or friendly. It became a cloud over our vacation. We regretted going to the Royal in Cancun. We were thankful to be leaving that Monday coming up. The staff is the soul of your business and if they cannot smile, be light, make eye contact than there is no good to come. The size of the resort is much smaller, all the rooms have an ocean view but the noise from the AC at Pelicano's competed with the sound of the ocean and the rooms are half the size of the ones in Playa. I don't find the size of Playa overwhelming. Everything in Playa is easy and quick to get to. About the construction next door, we would not have been happy to be staying in the blocks on that side of the resort. It was very loud. I expect it should be done this time next year?! We stayed in 190, walk out to the pool and Loved it!

Room Tip: Stay away from the restaurant El Mediterraneo side. Just until the construction next door is over.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple