“wonderful wonderful wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“wonderful wonderful wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

The service at The Royal Playa del Carmen is terrific - the rooms are very nice with everything being quite comfortable. Nothing like some other all inclusive resorts where the beds are "plastic" and the service is nonexistent. Everyone at The Royal works to make you happy and your vacation the best it can be. The food is very good too and not so much buffet stuff like you see at many all inclusive resorts. If you go try to get in Prude's area on the beach - she is great and her attitude is even better. Eat at Pelicano's - the food and service are very good. Jose will make sure you are happy and greet you by name after a few visits.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynn44880
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for speaking so highly of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen in your review and for sharing it with all the other T.A. reviewers. It is always a great pleasure knowing that we exceeded your expectations and that we were able to create such a unique holiday experience. We look forward to pampering you once again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,008)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed in June 2013 after a short trip to NYC.

Best things - Asiana, Spice, Pelicanos for food in that order. The beach butlers, esp Prude and Lopez.

Downsides - The champagne is sweet like Asti. They watered down the white wine in some of the restaurants, even though poured from the bottle!! Some of the waiters are quite surly - Marie. Marie a prime example.

We had a great time, but found the 'luxury extras' weren't as expected. The wine was not good, but if you can live on margaritas you'll have a fantastic time

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Watermelonshake
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to The Royal for about 9 years and we just became members last year. We are getting ready for our upcoming trip in November and can't wait to see all of our friends (more like family) at The Royal. We especially can't wait to see Alex when we arrive and Jaime at the beach, they always take such good care of us as well as the rest of the staff there. Can't forget about Jose' who's been working at the Italian restaurant across the street for over 15 years, he's great too! If you're looking for a wonderful trip this is the place! See you all in about 3 weeks!!!!!

Robin & Jason Lashen

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was a guest at the Royal Play del Carmen from August 24th to September 7.
Sorry for the delay to post this review, I was taken and involved in so many things since my return that I hardly had any time to sit, reflect and even more so to write.

I brought again my family along for another year. There was my elderly mother and older brother. My mom required some specific care. She had knee and hip replacement that did not heal well, so she was not much mobile. So the hotel selected the best room to suit her, to minimize walking and let her be in the middle of all the action.

More importantly, she has allergies to garlic, onions and chives. Imagine her pleasure to be able to eat carefree anywhere. Even on our first day, the staff from the various restaurants knew who she was and of her special needs. I must especially give my thanks to the chef and personnel of the Chef's Plate who made an elaborate and splendid alternative menus just for her on each of her visit. My gratitude goes to Rebeca, Rigo, Angles Felix Rafael Mukul who make eating there the best of experience.

This was my third stay at this hotel, but my first time as a Real Club member. Yes, I did give in to the long sale pitch on my last visit there. I liked the place so much, that anyhow I was certain that I wanted to go back there many times. The gold members wear a gold bracelet was recognized by some as a committed member of the resort family. And committed you are by the $$$ you invest there.

I realized from this trip that being a member had its advantage:
The pickup at the airport gathered only four more people, we much enjoyed the direct ride to playa del carmen instead of the usual milk run. The club gave as well discounts rates on various excursions, goods and services as such as the Spazul.

Making reservations by E- mail exchanges was practical, easy and the rates were very advantageous. The Club concierge were great at suggesting the best rooms according to our requirements. Thank you Nancy as well as Marcos for taking care us.

The check in was short, most pleasurable in the club lounge. Our rooms were ready, so it did not take long that we were all changed and ready to go about to the beach and the pool.

The Club may change though in the future from its present incarnation. It's no secret the the Real chain of hotels will affiliate with the great Hyatt family. In fact the construction site mentioned by so many, will be the Hyatt wing. For Hyatt this a new foothold in a new region and most importantly a 5 star and diamond added to their crown and their first all included hotel. The agreement, licensing is for a 3 year period. The ownership of the real hotel chains remains in the same so I do not expect much impact overall. It all in Hyatt best interest to keep things as they are.

I would say that the greatest strength of this resort is its employees. They have been outstanding people, putting their heart in all of what they were doing for their guests. They are all beautiful people and a credit to the Mexican hospitality.

First, I want to salute Mario Lopez. A true Gentlemen and a great ambassador of the Royal. His gentleness warmed us and was appreciated.

From memory:

I will start with the animation staff: Katie, Juan, Azucena, and the rest of the gang: Jesus, Carlos, Danny Boy, Alex & Miguel you have been the best, brothers and sisters, as well as friends. You made each day truly special for us.

A thank you Louisa at the Coffee house that gave my first beautiful smile each morning as well as the best Capucino and Café Latté.

My gratitude to Marisol of the Spa that gave my mother an extraordinary Reiki.

I will not forget the waiters hard at work, serving us drinks by the beach or the pool all day: Ivonne, Prude, Eva, Celia, Andrea, Ari, Ruth, Laura Mieh. I was amazed as how they never forgot a drink, always serving you with a smile even under the most scorching sun. These guys work extremely hard and deserve all the tips they get.

Room tip: We were assigned ground floor rooms 196 and 199. 199 is a double bed room that has its balcony just by the activity center and towel service, just by the main pool. You cannot be more into the resort atmosphere than this. My mother and brother loved it. 196 is a single king junior suite also opening on the main pool. The cleanliness of the room was always perfect; it passed my mother's critical test.

Personally it never bothered me, but there may be a musty smell because of all the humidity. In case that the evening aroma therapy is not enough, consider bringing plug ins from home or buy it at the Walmart a few blocs west of the resort.

Spazul:
Really worth it, they have the best and most professional people that even surpass the chic Spas of Montreal. You get spoiled, you get relaxed, those hands can heal you.

We did not take on much excursions, but if you love snorkeling and diving, I recommend the people there for the most incredible experience. They are real knowledgeable about where to go, the best cenote to visit.

The Beach

Truly enjoyed the beach this time being so close to it. I could never get tired to watch at those brilliant blues, aquas and green with the repeated clashing noise of the breaking waves.

I did detect the acrid smell reported on the Northern side of the Royal beach. I believe it comes from fresh water spilling out to sea. You can feel at is it colder water current under your to feet. I believe it is a cenote spilling its cold water into the ocean, mineral water that contains sulphur. There are many such cenotes to be found on the Riviera Maya coast.

The Restaurants

We enjoyed our room, the service, the people and of course the food. We really did not go much to Spice from the few times there all was excellent.
Pelicanos overlooks the ocean and side street. We never tired of breakfast there. Lunch and dinner were also great. Thank you Miguel for all of your devotion.

Asiana was also a great choice we very much enjoyed.
Maria Marie saw us quite often: the ambiance was perfect, the presentations were fantastic and so was the staff. You really have to try their Grand Marnier soufflé. The dress code has been relaxed but I wondered if it has not been relaxed too much. Maria Maria is a beautiful place and the waiter service solemn. Somehow casual beachwear feel off its place there.
Chef's Plate was quite intimate and most enjoyable for us. There was less molecular cuisine when compared to last year and more traditional fine dinning. They have great suggestion of apéro and digestives including a wicked Taramisu martini. The food was good and plentiful in small courses. If you have an upgrade that allows you to go dine there, allow yourself the pleasure.

A few negatives:
It was the first time I have seen drunk people daily, drunk enough to be either obnoxious or in need of attendance to be returned to their room. That really was a sorry sight. That showed however that the drinks were not watered down at all....

I missed the outdoor banquet such as the Caribbean night that was organized last year. There were a great occasion to mingle and meet new people. I did not care much about the beach lobster dinner. Maybe a real Mexican fiesta outdoor sometimes, to remind us of the soul of the country we are under. True, being in the rainy season, there is always risk of weather spoiling everything.

Overall, another fabulous holiday and will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Asaintinmtl
Dear Guest,
On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your positive review. It puts a smile to our face knowing that you have enjoyed our restaurants, services, staff and our property in general. It is our biggest joy knowing that we exceeded your expectations and we truly hope to have the pleasure of doing it once again!
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked this for my husband's birthday hoping it would be a good birthday present...needless to say it was the best ever - for both of us! The Royal surpassed all of our expectations and I cannot say enough to really do it justice. The food was phenomenal, the service was the best ever. We chose a beachfront suite with a butler, Alex; who was awesome and the little extra expense was well worth it. If you get the opportunity to go...you've got to stay here! :Yvonne, Prude, Vera, Rebecca, Alex, Ernesto are just some of the wonderful people that we were fortunate enough to meet and they took excellent care of us, be sure to ask for them. Alex took such good care of meeting our needs and with such eagerness to please as well. The service was phenomenal as well. This was by far the best vacation ever and we are already planning to go back in 2014! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Beach front sunrises are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dana H
Dear Royal Guest,
First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your positive review! It makes us so happy to know that you had a wonderful holiday with us and want to also thank you for granting us with the opportunity to host you.
We hope to see you for your next vacation so we can pamper you here at "your home away from home".
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I read hundreds of reviews over the course of a few months in order to pick the perfect place for my husband and I's first wedding anniversary. We had a not so great time on our honeymoon in Costa Rica (Bank of America issues-hate them) so it was VERY important to us to make this right. I couldn't have chosen a better place for us! I'm not a very patient writer but if I was I could spend days reporting the countless incredible things that made this place and it's staff the best. So I'll sum it up, kind of.... The Spa..... AMAZING! First mani/pedi I have ever had to last a beach trip and still look perfect now weeks later. And no it wasn't gel. The girls that worked on me were kind, patient and talented. And for you ladies who know the pain of a bikini, brazilian wax as well as I do let me just say..... this one was PAIN FREE and I hadn't even had a cocktail yet! Gilda, Yesica and EVERYONE there made me feel like a queen! This was also the first time I managed to talk my husband into a spa day and he LOVED IT.
There are more names I am forgetting but I will add them soon since they deserve complete recognition. My husband will also remind me since he is fluent in Spanish and made a lot of friends. But no worries about a language barrier, my Spanglish and even poor English (aka southern American) got me by just fine. The concierge we worked with speaks, I believe, FOUR languages! There are just so many excellent people that work there!
Do take note that things may run more smoothly for you at the Spa and perhaps elsewhere if you contact the concierge to make your plans/appointments. They are there to help and I did find that there was a touch of confusion surrounding our spa appointments since perhaps I made them myself. This was minor though and regardless it went smoothly.
Cleaning service was flawless and we loved the nice choice of pillows and aromatherapy. I have traveled all over the world fighting the war over the nonexistent hypoallergenic pillow due to a severe feather allergy and this is the first hotel ever to be pleasantly accommodating. We even came back to the room one night to find that they had covered the room in rose petals, filled the jacuzzi and light the candles. Every day they added a nice unexpected touch. That one was simply out of thoughtfulness knowing it was our anniversary.
There was so much to do at the resort and all around PDC that we never even made it to every spectacular night show at the resort , cigar bar, pool activities etc. But we are also night owls.
A nice touch was also kindness towards the homeless animals around PDC. A couple of times on the street close to the outdoor restaurants we saw homeless cats nearly starving and my husband and I who rescue and work with animals were not harshly chastised for slipping them a bite or too. Understandably they don't want their restaurants swarming with strays but it was a nice touch that we didn't "get in trouble". All in all service was outstanding from the bell hop and concierge to housekeeping and waitstaff.
The resort is breathtaking (pictures don't do it justice) and the location is PERFECT! I'm quite the beach walker and walked several miles north and south of the resort and this was the perfect place. The beach beds were a little close together and the beach out front was nice but I do admit there is nicer a short walk away. I would hardly let that dictate your choice of resort though because it's easy to move around. But I found the beach out front incredible beautiful all the same and who cares when one of their amazing staff members is brining you pina coladas that are already included!?

Room Tip: As already mentioned there is some heavy construction on one side of the hotel near the swim up room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleen L
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week long stay at the Royal in Playa del Carmen for our 25th wedding anniversary. Have to stay that it was absolutely perfect!! Let me just tell you that the entertainment crew was fantastic ( Victor, Carlos, Leslie, Jesus, Danny Boy, Juan and anybody else whose names I can't remember right now). Poolside service from Celia was awesome! Armando at bar at Tapas was phenomenal! Reyes at the Tequila bar was great, you have to try his chocolate tequila, it is awesome! Food at Spice, hope you get Camarto as your waiter, he was a true gentlemen and Asiana's was fantastic too!! Daniel was an awesome waiter at Marie's and the food there was great as well. Room service was excellent as well! You must spend a week at this place, it was the vacation of a lifetime! My wife and I were so relaxed and waited on hand and foot that we are already planning our trip back there next year! Don't miss this place!! It truly is where dreams come true!!

Stayed October 2013