“For the Snorkel and Dive Crew”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #11 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is for Samuel, Franco, Enrique the ones working at the counter where you receive the pool towels and of course our personal guide Carlos. These people are truly a pleasure to work with, very professional and very friendly, an amazing group of individuals. Treated us as if we were family. Traveled with my wife and two children (JULY 16 - 24) and we did a snorkeling trip that Carlos guided us on. We had an amazing time, as he did a fantastic job. He took pictures for us which was well worth the price and we received a video disc the next day. They were Amazing pictures. We snorkeled at Akumal and saw sea turtles, sting rays and an assortment of fish. Next we traveled farther south and snorkeled in a cenote and saw incredible things under the caves. Truly a remarkable experience. My wife (who is not a big fan of water) ended up loving it.Truly a great time and experience. If your thinking of a snorkeling trip, find these people as you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Royal Playa del Carmen

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just wanted to let everyone know before you book a room at the Royal in Playa del Carmen the the house keeping will steal you stuff!! My girlfriends iPhone was stolen from house keeping the night before we left. We spoke with the operation manager who told us there is nothing they can do for us. also the next day we tracked the phone and it was turned on and used!!

17  Thank rlaverriere
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is an amazing resort. My husband and I came back from a great vacation at the Roya at Playa del Carmen; this is our 4th consecutive trip down therel. The staff is just amazing. We stayed in room 381 and loved it. It was close to the pool and to the beach access. I was so glad to see back Marisol and Gabriela from the Spice restuarant. They are just amazing at preparing excellent breakfasts. The food is really good with many options. We loved going to the Maria Maries restuaruant for dinner were we were glad to see Mike and Gerardo again. They treated us like if we were part of their family. Breakfast was always heavenly at the Spice restaurant. I deeply enjoyed going to pilates with Regina and Edith. They both are excellent isntructors!!! The room was very clean and the beach is just so relaxing. We just can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike08Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have very little negative to say about this resort. The worst part of the entire trip was the "time share" presentation we were mislead into sitting through. This is the reason I gave an overall "very good" instead of "excellent". It was extremely unpleasant. Beware and just say NO from the beginning, no matter how nice they seem at first.

I would not recommend Best Day Travel. I don't think they are actually a part of the resort but they have a counter inside selling tours. They were always late, over priced and cheated me on the exchange rate. Their vehicles were very uncomfortable.

We stayed in room 350. It was wonderful with a beautiful view. The noise from the pool could get loud in the afternoon but we were never trying to sleep then.

The restaurants were all good with the exception of Maria Marie. Eating there was the second worst experience of the trip. We did complain about our experience and Victor Gonzalez (Food and Beverage Assistant) certainly made up for it the next night at Asiana (the best restaurant at the resort). El Mediterraneo was great for breakfast. Loida the chef made great omelets and waffles and always with a smile. Spice has amazing coconut ice cream.

The absolute highlight of the resort was the moonlight couples massage! It was so worth the price! Angie and Denise gave us the most amazing massage experience we have ever had! Highly, highly recommend!

We loved the location right off 5th Ave. The beach wasn't the best I've been to (smelly). We went to the beach at the sister resort next door and it was much better (not smelly, more room and not as crowded).

We would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank tmoyam
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was very nervous to book an appointment in the spa for my hair with such humid weather. Gilda did a phenomenal job with my hair at the spa before a wedding. I would highly recommend her. She was very sweet, quick, efficient and thoughtful! Thank you Gilda!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank whatleysmum
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We just came back from a week long stay at The Royal Playa del Carmen. We went with another couple, who had never been to an all-inclusive resort. If I go to a beach resort, I usually do all inclusives, so I've been to properties multiple times in Mexico, in Jamaica and in the Dominican Republic. If I reviewed the property after my first day, I would have given the hotel three stars, but happily, my experience improved greatly after that first day. I'm going to give the disappointing part first, for the sake of being unbiased, but I hope that the reader will stick with my review to the end, because things took a swift upturn and the property is definitely recommended by me! We checked in, and were immediately struck by the grandness of the lobby. Wonderful first impression. A server came by and asked if they could get us something from the bar. The employee at one of the desks who was checking us in kept coughing and apologized, saying she was sick. Her eyes looked glassy and when I shook her hand, she felt feverish. Probably as a result of her not feeling great, she forgot to give us a calendar of activities, and she left our passports on the copier. We had to backtrack and ask for them after we started to go to lunch. Our room wasn't ready, as we expected, so we had lunch at Pelicanos. The beach atmosphere was lovely. We had asked for chips and salsa, and the server wasn't sure if he could get them. There were no limes for the beers, and they were out of mint, so no mojitos. Service was slow. We went down to the beach and the sulfur smell I had read about on the forums smacked me in the face like a brick wall. My spirits sank. I saw that the ocean was really rocky. I am a beach person and a nice beach is the most important thing to me on vacation. I also noticed that the beach chairs were extremely close together and most were full. There were quite a few beach beds not in use, and I saw that they were reserved by suite number. The rest of my stay, I rarely saw anybody using these beach beds, so while I understand that they are a perk for people paying for certain suites.....what a waste. We went to grab some towels and tried to find a spot at the pool. We were told that there were no beach towels, but to come back in ten minutes. When we came back in ten minutes, we were told again to come back in ten minutes. The couple next to us told us they were told to come back in ten minutes forty minutes ago. Mexican time....I get it......no worries, but a little annoying. We had dinner at the Tapas restaurant, which proved to be the worst of our stay. We had the most disappointing meal. The tapas were oversalted, heavily sauced and lacking in flavor. I went to my room with a sinking feeling in my stomach. My room, while gorgeous, overlooked the street and the sister property's kid's club, which seemed a bit run down. I told my husband, "I think we made a mistake with this resort." We had stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach last year, and loved each minute there. I reminded myself that I had paid $1000 less to stay at the Royal, and I needed to keep my expectations appropriate. I had, however, read about the great food, the amazing service and the beautiful beach at The Royal, and so far....there were three strikes. The next morning, I awoke ready to give The Royal another go. I am SO happy to report that the first day was just an off day. The rest of the trip was fabulous. The sulphur smell on the beach definitely lessened and I discovered if I walked to the left, there were no rocks. We had gotten up early enough, so there were plenty of chairs under shade. The ocean water was multi-colored--gorgeous teals, turquoises and navy colors. The waves were low, and the swimming was very calm. We had an amazing breakfast at Meditranneo. The freshest fruit, fresh squeezed juice, nice selection of pastries, eggs, meats, and cereals. The coffeeshop was an absolute gem, and I enjoyed chatting with Maggy each day while she made a chai tea or mocha. This was the top notch service I'd read about! The servers by the pool were amazing--Jacob was especially good. The pools were beautiful and clean. I was thrilled with lunch at Spice. Fresh made to order tacos, fresh fish, salads, fruits and delectable desserts. Every meal had fresh pico de gallo that I am craving right now. Don't miss the coconut ice cream--if you ask for a to go cup, you can take some and eat it at the beach! Asiana for dinner was my favorite. The sushi was delicious and there was a nice choice of Thai or Chinese specialties. Maria Marie was another favorite. Reservations are required, but it was never a problem to get in. We ate there three nights! The shrimp in lobster butter is not to be missed if you like shrimp. The Mexican twist on the crème brulee moved an already awesome dessert up a notch. I had some really fun dining experiences here. The service each time was flawless. I was disappointed in my meal at the Italian restaurant at the sister resort. No garlic was used in the margherita pizza, but I suppose that's my own fault for ordering pizza in Mexico. I should have just stuck with the Royal's margaritas, which were mixed by hand and excellent. As for drinks....I had better luck with drinks when I was very specific. If I ordered a pina colada, it wasn't as good as when I specified which type of alcohol I wanted in it. Coconut martinis were served in plastic cups, which I felt cheapened the experience. I enjoyed the nightly tastings in the lobby--the Royal had martini, tequila and wine tastings, led by Carlos J, who gave us a great education! I am STILL dreaming about the tiramisu martini and disappointed that it could only be ordered at Chef's Plate. My days were spent laying on the beach, eating great food, drinking good drinks, and swimming the ocean. I'd take a walk on the beach, and there was gorgeous sand for a long way down each way. If you walk to the right toward the sister resort, you can get a $20 seventy minute massage right on the beach. The spa is nice too, but if you're a spa person, you won't be blown away. Still, I got an extremely relaxing massage by Ros and highly recommend her. Housekeeping deserves another mention. The room was kept very clean, although the mirror was not wiped down the whole time during our stay. I am not picky about this, and have other things to do on vacation than to fret about something so trivial, but it was quite noticeable. The maids made the cutest towel animals, and did a great job with turn down service. Katie of the entertainment staff deserves a mention as well. She helped my friends arrange to give me a cake for my birthday and a bath filled with rose petals upon my return to the room. She is an extremely hard worker and was so positive about the resort and the people she works for. I was surprised to see not many people tipping. The people at The Royal work SO hard (ten to fourteen hours a day six days a week). A few bucks/pesos here and there goes a long way. We brought $300 in one, five and ten dollar bills and had no trouble happily giving it to the employees who made our stay so special. Ivonne...you were wonderful! Jacob--fabulous! Katie--amazing! Maggy--so sweet! Thank you for a great stay! A few more tips...the location of the Royal is perfect, but the shopping on Fifth was a disappointment to me. Nobody wanted to haggle much, and they wouldn't budge much from their initial price. I don't know many tourists that want to spend $50 on a child's dress that can be bought for $7 in a nearby market. I prefer to support individuals and not corporations, but I can't justify a $43 price increase for the same product. I was nervous about the sickness reports, but I didn't have any problems at all.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 123, and my friends stayed in 325. They both overlooked the street and the kid'...
8  Thank Scoutie9
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I recently had a destination wedding at the Royal Playa Del Carmen on July 13th. I have to say this hotel is absolutely fantastic and very fun! I had stayed at another resort in Playa Del Carmen years ago but I chose this resort based on the close proximity to 5th Ave, and I'm SO glad I picked the Royal for my wedding! I had 40 guests travel down for my wedding and everyone had such an amazing time. The rooms were gorgeous, the staff very attentive and friendly, the drinks were great, the beach was beautiful, but we spent a majority of our time at the pool. The atmosphere by the pool was so much fun and the music was awesome! There are also so many different restaurants to choose from and you never get sick of the food options. My husband and I even tried the Chef's Plate one night and it was fantastic!

I was very nervous about having my wedding so far away because I was worried about all the little details and everything working out they way I envisioned on my special day. Once I had a meeting with my onsite wedding coordinator "Denys Madrigal" all of my fears vanished immediately. She was extremely organized and informative and we went over every single detail of the wedding a few days before the event. She is fantastic at her job and everything at my wedding was absolutely PERFECT!! There was not one question she didn't have an answer to and she made sure my wedding was everything I imagined. We had the ceremony at the Gazebo and the reception in the ballroom and everything was stunning and gorgeous. Not only do I recommend the Royal as an amazing place to stay, but I highly recommend Denys Madrigal as a wedding coordinator. Thank you so much Denys for making my special day so amazing!!

Room Tip: My husband and I had an opportunity to stay in the Presidential Suite and it was worth every single...
1  Thank Laurie D