“The Best Ever!!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #10 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I traveled here over a year ago and never wrote a review. We now feel compelled to write a review because of how bad our recent trip went at another resort, the Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana. After our recent experience we have decided that we will not stray from The Royal Playa del Carmen or The Royal Cancun ever again!! We fell in love with The Royal Playa and the next year stayed at The Royal Cancun and thoroughly enjoyed both. We have been to several all-inclusive resorts, some good, some bad, some average. The Royal is truly Exceptional!!!

The staff at The Royal is what makes you fall in love with it. Every member of the staff greats you with a smile and a hand over their heart. Our pool waitress, Daisy, is one of the sweetest people we've ever met and took such good care of us. The waiters at all the restaurants gave us outstanding service at every meal. They seem to enjoy their jobs and being around such friendly people made a big difference in our overall experience.

The food was awesome!! It is not just good for an all-inclusive either, we would pay to go to these restaurants back at home. We haven't been to many all-inclusive's where you miss the food when your gone, but I guarantee you will miss the food from here when you're back home. I would describe each restaurant but they are all good!! We also ate at the Mexican and Italian at the sister property across the street and they were delicious as well.

The drinks were all great! Have your favorites, but also ask for suggestions and the bartenders will help you find "new" favorites. They have all the best top-shelf liquor and pour nice stiff drinks every time. We tipped for every drink and at every meal and you can tell the staff truly appreciates it. My wife and I worked in the service industry in our college years so it is just in our nature to tip, but the staff does not expect or solicit tips by any means. It was nice to see that our tips were appreciated because at other resorts we've been to tips seemed to be expected and the staff members are not always grateful.

The pool was fantastic! We are early risers so we would get a in morning work-out and save a couple chairs around 9am, then eat a delicious room service breakfast and get back down to our chairs by 10am. We spent most of our days at the pool but would venture out to the beach for a few hours to float around in the beautiful water. We like to lay out by the pool rather than beach so I can't comment on the beach service.

The rooms are very, very nice. We used the Jacuzzi daily and loved it. The beds are very comfortable as well.

Room Service was great! We ordered room service everyday and would also order for late night dinners. I've had room service from other all-inclusive resorts and it is always been mostly average or just plain bad. The room service at The Royal is truly delicious. The salads and soups are fresh and the beef and chicken dishes were always great.

Overall, The Royal Playa del Carmen is truly a 5 star resort that exceeded our expectations on nearly every aspect of our stay. The Royal makes you feel at home while your there and that's a pretty good feeling. We are already planning our return trip to both Royal resorts with our first 5 days in Cancun and then finishing up where it all started for another 5 days in Playa del Carmen.

If your on the fence about this hotel, JUST GO!!!! You will not regret it!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dustin Y

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I loved the royal. It was very relaxing, everyone was so nice n helpful. The rooms were very nice, except we upgraded to a master suite and our room smelled a little mildew. All food from the different restaurants were amazing. The down side is you ran to the bathroom soon after. It was our 9 year anniversary and we got massages from Lucy and Edith and both were amazing. Abbey help us so much with every need my picking husband wanted. Reyes at pool side bar was so fun at night. I would love to go back.

Room Tip: The rooms with the pool or beach front was awesome.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions
We would like to mention our goal is to ensure our guest satisfaction, we always make our best effort in making feel our guest special and valued during their stay. Certainty, it appears we did not have the opportunity to fulfill this during your time with us.
Thank so much for your kind words regarding some of our staff.
We hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We enjoyed our stay so much last year we had to come back! This time we came back with another couple, my mother and cousin and my daughter (who shared her room with the other couple's daughter). It was both our daughters' high school graduation gift/celebration! There were 8 of us. From the time we arrived until check out we were treated like royalty! Stephany & Pablo checked us in. Alejandro was the best Royal representative, we remembered him from last year. We got in early and he came looking for us at Pelicanos (our favorite lunch spot at the resort). He helped our friends out with SIM card for his phone, he went well beyond the expected. Last year we had the pleasure of being invited to the Chef's table to eat and we also remember that chef... Fabian is at the Chef's Plate & Maria Marie this year but was at Asiana's and Spice last year! Of course we looked and found him again this year! We really, really enjoy not only his food but his company (as much as he could come and spend with us... busy man). At Chef's Plate the crew was by far some of the best servers and made us feel like royalty. The tables are for 4 so we were split into two tables (we were told before hand and didn't mind). Rebeca, in charge, did really well to make sure every thing flowed nicely! Angles and Mosso never skipped a beat, always a smile. The bartender made sure our drinks never stopped coming! (Sorry, didn't get his name). Fabian again, showed us his talents at Maria Marie's the next day! At Spice (our favorite breakfast place) we were greeted by Ivonne and taken well cared of by Jose, Selma, Adan, Andres, & Alberto. I really enjoyed chatting with Yolanda who some mornings made my eggs and other times served my tacos and was really helpful with my choices! Had to hug her good-bye! We ate Pelicanos for lunch, mostly but was treated to a lovely Romantic dinner by the gulf and served by a delightful Manuel. Raquel made sure we were taken cared of, whether it was all 8 of us or just the two of us. We ate there so often we got a good selection of waiters: Eleno, Geronimo, Giovani... of course everyone was attentive to our needs. It's great that they speak several languages and so we were able to practice our Spanish as well. Mike made sure we had the right 'tapa' at Tapas... if you don't get the concept, then you may not enjoy it as much. Know this; you can order as much as you want. With the bar right there, any waiter walking by made sure we were topped off quite often and as needed :-) The Coffee House was an immediate favorite for my mom and the 'girls' with delicious coffees and decadent croissants, donuts, pastries... oh my! Might put Starbuck's to shame! Unfortunately, we just ran out of time and didn't experience El Mediterraneo this time around! 24 hour lounge was always a stopping place out of the hotel (for snacks and water before walking out on 5th Avenue). The Lobby Bar was a great place to hang out and meet the others in our group, as we chose (on purpose) not to be near each others' rooms ~ Mario was a great bartender, with suggestions and telling us a bit about the culture of Mexico. The Tequileria was quite busy a lot of the time, and at times it got difficult to get a drink, although Mary, Ale, and others came around frequently to make sure you had a drink. There were a lot of people and at times it seemed they were short handed, but, we never waited too long. Trade Winds was another very busy bar, at times the bartender really needed help. Great drinks, there, too! Our favorite became the Riviera Mayan - Not only was it pretty, it was delicious! I can't wait to try and make 'em at home! Goyo, made sure we knew about what things you could do out in the gulf, we chose Parasailing! First time and it was great, from the transport to the ride! I'm doing it again! Best Day Travel handled our tickets to Xcaret and transport, I highly recommend them for any questions you may have about this area and 'hot' spots. Last year we went to Xe-Ha and Tullum. Can be a bit pricey, but I felt safe and knew I'd get there and back! Can't buy peace of mind! After all that, we HAD to do a Spa day, My daughter got a facial from Melisa and a pedicure from Andrea... she was smiling from ear to ear! We couldn't be happier! My husband and I chose the Mayan couple's massage and was well taken cared of by Livinia and Denise! Livinia worked on me and I absolutely loved her! (She got a hug, too!) We are planning to continue to go and bring other people who deserve to be treated like royalty. What I loved most about this place the people. They seem genuinely happy and will serve you well... just remember a little kindness goes a long way. We really, really wanted to bring Fabian home with us, even with his family... it just seemed like we could share so much with him and our girls really enjoyed the attention he gave them/us with his artfully delicious creations! OH! I almost forgot to mention Asianas, by no means were they lacking! The food was wonderful the Sake was a great experience for us and don't forget to leave room for dessert: Fried Ice Cream! (Also, great service, unfortunately I'm at a loss for our waiter's name, but that is no reflection on his service, just my old mind!) Real Bazar has a variety of items you may want to pick up for yourself or others, including sunscreen & tummy medications, yes, you might just over do-it! Check this place out and you wouldn't be disappointed. Expect the unexpected is a true motto. They may not be perfect, but they truly strive for it and that in itself is flawless. Love the people and service... The rooms, aren't bad either, just kidding! They are great!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet go to the other tower where the Coffee House and El Mediterraneo are. If...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for choosing us to spend this special date, your wedding! We truly appreciate your review, it is really nice, and makes feel very proud of our entire staff!! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This resort is amazing! We have never been wined and dined so much. The hospitality was top notch. We ate at most restaurants and the food was delicious. If you want something special made, they will go out of their way to make it. We spent most days at the pool and shopping on 5th avenue. The pool waitress was always bringing drinks. There was plenty of entertainment during the day and night. We will be visiting again in the future! Thank you Royal for making our honeymoon memorable.

Room Tip: Room 362. Closer to the lobby and a good ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a positive review but the most important to trust in us and choose our beautiful resort for your HONEYMOON!
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Royal was fab. The service, the food, the atmosphere, all exceeded our expectations. Everyone is incredibly friendly and
willing to bend over backwards for you. The food is fantastic- the only downfall I can say is that at Pelicanos the fish tasted a little fishy, and one time the pizza was completely undercooked. Otherwise Chefs Plate, Spice, and El Medetteraneo were awesome, and so was room service which we ended up using for about 3 nights!

The only negative I can say about my stay was that my husband and I both became ill our third night in. Multiple bathroom trips, and irregular movements everyday thereafter. We returned on the 18th and our stomaches are still not right, and I also woke up with a fever on June 20. Did anyone else suffer from a similar illness? I read reviews from April and May that some people had been infected with a virus and felt it was from the resort. I'd hate to think there is a connection because of what a great place this was, but definitely would have to reconsider returning if that's the case.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jo279

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you thank you for taking time out to share your experience and we would like to inform that we work very hard at maintaining our high quality standards, we are always sanitizing overall hotel areas as following all HACCP and FDA code protocols for our food and beverage handling. We do believe it was a spread of some kind of flu but with all the sanitizing done, we do believe to have controlled things.
We sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just celebrated my 2 year anniversary at this beautiful property. It was more than I could eve asked. Greeted by the staff at all times of the day, clean rooms, fast room service, a variety of restaurants and bars on the property. The photographer at the resort is amazing... Not sure what he does to the photos but the results seemed beautifully airbrushed. The food was extremely good for an all-inclusive, in my opinion- 5 stars! There so many activities to indulge in at this place that I didn't even get to do but I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,
We´re so glad to read your nice review of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen. Please be sure that our Staff will be always exceeding our mutual clients’ expectations.
Thanks a lot for your recent stay and we are looking forward welcoming you back to your home away from home THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Royal in Playa Del Carmen…..What can I say? This was our 3rd stay and as always it’s a treat! Although this was our first time traveling in June as we usual travel in September, it was a bit more crowded then we have experienced but never the less, we enjoyed our stay. We stayed in one of the new areas that have the swim up pool, was nice to have but we’re a bit more social so we ended up at the main pool during the day and our own swim up pool towards the evening, yes other guest play the towel game with the main pool chairs but we never ran into problems getting two chairs right up front. This was also our first time staying on the ground level; definitely a bit noisier on the ground level but nothing to be upset about.

If guests complain about this place it’s because they aren’t allowing themselves to relax and enjoy what another country has to offer!

Restaurants: 24 hr. lounge is nice for a quick snack and/or drink! I like to sleep in so this is where I would go for a quick breakfast (plus I’m not a big breakfast person anyway). Cereal, toast, fresh fruit and juice was all I needed to start my morning. El Meditterraneo has a good breakfast buffet, didn’t try it for any other eating only because it was sort of out of the way for us. Asiana, my favorite!! Marie Marie, nice place for a romantic dinner for two, food is good. Spice, good buffet, made to order items if you branch out a bit. Had breakfast, lunch and dinner at Spice…all was good! Room Service, simply the best! Cold Tecates with lime and salt come straight to your room when asked, those late night Club Sandwiches and Fries to get you through the night after a long day of soaking in the sun. Oh yeah!

Bars: They have cold drinks and that’s all that matters.

Service: Excellent service all the way around! Best pool server is Celia, she knew what we wanted and kept them coming, so friendly and went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. Lobby server, Vicky….so sweet and on it, knew what to bring us when she saw us sit down. Vicky even went out of her way to make my husband feel super special on his birthday; she asked the band to sing him Happy Birthday! He was surprised and loved every bit of it. Vicky, hands down is AWESOME!!! Jaime, Lopez and Ivonne are beyond great pool butlers….keep up the good work! Entertainment team are a treat and know how to keep everyone involved and laughing.

Spa: Milly and Arte are great for massages, the best I’ve had in a long time! Even better than my monthly massages I receive here in my home city. I will definitely be asking for these two ladies on the next go round.

When staying at The Royal in Playa Del Carmen, you feel like Royality!

Great nightly shows! Within walking distance to 5th Avenue if you like to venture out. I could go on and on and there is no doubt that we will stay at The Royal again and again.

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't stay on ground level again if I can help it but really no big deal, just per...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angela R

Dear Guest,
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your review. It was absolutely our pleasure welcoming you back to your home away from home and we will always be honored of hosting such distinguished and kind guests as you are.
We remain at your service and looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future!