“All inclusive done right....”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
“All inclusive done right....”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here just to try out an all inclusive....we are sold. The food, the staff, the location! Wow!

This was a very good experience and we plan to do an all inclusive again soon (mainly this one). The staff was helpful and attentive...but beware of the sales pitch ;-) You may want to avoid the RCI deal they will try to offer you.

The property was always clean and you will see employees constantly working to keep it that way. You have several restaurants to dine in and you can even go across the street to eat in the sister property....but they can't come to the Royal for the same treatment. With any of the dining spots, you can't really go wrong. Try them all to see what best suits you.

Finally, be sure to keep money (singles) on hand for tipping. It always seems to increase the perks you get from the staff....from breakfast to bed turn-down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dee Jay F
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your positive review. It puts a smile to our face knowing that you have enjoyed our restaurants, services, staff and our property in general. It is our biggest joy knowing that we exceeded your expectations and we truly hope to have the pleasure of doing it once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,164)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Markle, Indiana
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I have celebrated my past 5 birthdays at The Royal. We have been visiting Mexico for 18 years and this resort is by far the best out there!!! Going back again in 2 weeks! Can't wait to see Daniel, Ivonne and Quio, captain Diego, chef Gonzalo, and hostess Gabriela. The Asiana is the best restaurant. The staff is amazing! They know us by name now and always prepare a special dinner for my birthday.

Room Tip: All "Ocean views" aren't exactly ocean view....do the upgrade...worth it!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tgoetz1220
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing with us and all others your ROYAL experience. It is always so rewarding to know that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay memorable. Please rest assured that the staff members you have mentioned in your review will all know what an outstanding job they are doing for our ROYAL guests.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Luzerne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my first time at the Royal.. We loved every minute of it.. The food is excellant and the Staff is awesome.. I have never rec'd service like that at any resort I stayed at.. Just wanted to mention a few of the staff members that made my stay more enjoyable.. Ceila at the pool was awesome I never had to wait for a drink and she was so pleasant.. The pool Butlers Yvonne and Jaime were also awesome.. Never went to a resort where they actually came and cleaned your sunglasses.. 2 of my favorite waiters at the Spice Buffet were Antonio and Demitrio they had our table ready every morning and gave us great service.. Never have been to a resort where they carry your plate back to your table.. Also would like to mention Jaime at the Italian Rest He was so awesome Great Service.I can't say enough good things about The Royal...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sally S
Dear Guest,
We would first of all like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such an enthusiastic review! We are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom i`m sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and for granting us with the opportunity to host you at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
st joseph
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great location if you want to walk to the action of 5th Avenue. Not a good beach location. Checked in on-line...worked great! Upon arrival we were sent to our concierge Charon. Very nice experience. She gave up info about the property, set up some restaurant reservations and made us feel welcomed.

Room-Larger than most hotel rooms. Great bed with many pillows. Sleeping was lucious and comfortable. A ceiling fan overhead kept the air moving. Shower, toliet and hand sink was seperate from the dressing and sink area. Great when two people are hurrying to get ready. Bathroom amenities in room upon arrival:toothbrush & paste, razor & shave cream, cotton flats, q-tips, sewing kit, shower cap, shoe cleaner, comb, body lotion, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and hand santizer. If I had know all this was provided, I would have packed less tolietries. A hair dryer, iron and ironing board, robe and slippers are also provided. A stocked fridge, bottled liquor, coffee maker and snacks were also in the room. Turn down service each night. They would arrange pillows, leave chocolate and light aromatherapy candle. More candles were in the room if you wanted to light them. Housekeeping was consistent. Fridge was always restocked. If you caught him, he would leave you with any additional drinks or snacks that you requested.

Restaurants: Ate at all of them.
Spice Buffet-ate one lunch and one breakfast. OK selection but preferred the menu restaurants.

All restaurants had steak, chicken & seafood on their dinner menu. El Mediterraneo also offered various pastas. The steaks were nice cuts and cooked to order. Asiana had a large variety of asian dishes. A loud(noise) restaurant but delicious! Maria Maria was a elegant mexican style. Ate most breakfast and lunches at Pelicanos. It was close to the pool and had a great view of the caribbean. Why eat inside when you have this view. At Pelicanos, you could ask for things that wasn't listed on the menu. If you wanted a hamburger or hot dog with fries, just ask. For breakfast, if you want simple eggs, just ask. I suggest the french toast, it was perfect. Didn't sit at Tapas, but at lunch a chef has a cooking cart where you can get mexican tacos with pork, fish or chicken. Very simple and good. Coffee House had a nice selection of hot and cold drinks, pastries and ice cream. El Mediterraneo and the Coffee House are hidden. Ask, the staff will direct you. The descriptions of food on the dinner menu can be confusing. Just ask your waiter. He will tell you what everything is and make suggestions. They never mislead me.

Pool: Nice size large pool. Swim up pool bar is seperate from main pool. As always guest grabbed loungers in the early morning and didn't use them till later in the day. Very few places to get shade. If you can't stay in the direct sunlight, this pool is not for you.

Bars: 24 hour lounge. Didn't really use. Stopped by, they had snacks & drinks, pool and ping pong, Sports bar is off the main lobby. Large square seated bar with TVs. Quick serving bartenders and a lively atmosphere. If if was hot outside, it was hot in this bar. Lobby bar mainly used during the shows by waitresses to serve guests. Tequila and cigar bar is located outside at the bottom of the stairs. Small counter bar (6seats). Nice bartenders. Only a few tequilas were included-most were upsells. Trade Winds bar by the pool. Had swings and a few tables. Swim up pool bar. Good service...it's amazing how many drinks these bartenders make each day.

We did not use the spa, fitness center or tennis courts.

Activities and Shows: Activity team had activities pool side throughout the day. When they wasn't running an event, they tried to mingle among the guest to make you feel welcome. The same team was the MCs for the evening shows. Most shows were in the lobby. Elements was a cirque de soleil style. Show Mexicano was latin dances. Decades was a music/dance show featuring music from Frank Sinatra to Lady Gaga...a real guest pleaser. The White Party was held in the courtyard, with live music and a DJ. Everyone seems to enjoy this party the most.
A live band played before each show.

Eight year ago, I stayed across the street at the Gran Porto Real. I checked out the Royal. It was very boring and stuffy. At that time, I didn't want to stay here. This hotel is not stuffy anymore. I was amazed by the party atmosphere. I like having fun and interacting with other guests. I believe there are a lot of large groups whom travel here together, probably for weddings. These large groups are celebrating, drinking and having a great time...which they should be but, it throws off the balance of the couples. I enjoyed watching some of their antics but sometimes it got old. My room was above the fun pool. I enjoyed the location. It is loud from about 10am to 7pm. People are in the pool having fun and making noise. If that bothers you, don't chose a room there. The hotel doesn't know who their guest will be until they arrive. I wasn't expecting such a party crowd at this level of hotel. Yes, the shower water did smell. It never made your skin smell. We did not use the in room hot tub because we assumed the water would smell and we didn't want to soak in smelly water. I don't think the hotel should have a tequila bar that isn't inclusive. It was a tease to show these bottles but make you buy the shots. On two afternoons, the Trade Winds and pool bar ran out of beer and water. By running out of beer, guest had to choose harder liquor to drink. I enjoyed the entertainment, but when the show was over there was nothing to do. They have a audio staff run music for each show. They should have these DJs play music for an additional hour and let their guest dance. The reason the White party is so much fun is because guest dance.

This property is a top notch facility. Rooms are great. Restaurants are great. Staff is great. I have traveled to Mexico seven times and stayed at various hotels. I don't know if I will stay here in the future, it's not because of the Royal, it would be because of the guests. I would recommend this to others as long as you can handle loud guest from the U.S.

Room Tip: Rooms around the fun pool is good if you like to people watch but don't mind noise. The rooms c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sightseesylvia P
Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you thank you for taking time out to share your experience! We definitely feel very pleased to read this review, thank you so much for all your kind words to our staff, this is the best way to know that they are doing an excellent job.
It will an honor to have the opportunity to host you and pamper you again in the near future.
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband & I were there the first week in May. It was wonderful. We had always gone to Maui in the past and decided we would try something different. At the end of the week we said "Good-by Maui, Hello The Royal." The staff was excellent. Maggie took very good care of us the pool. Chan was an excellent server at the Pelican.Our room was very nice. We were on the first floor just a little ways from the pool. Loved it. Great entertainment. We will definatley be back next year. Loved the towel animals.

Linda W - Iowa

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, but there are some things that management could do to enhance the experience. The hotel is 5 stars plus in terms of facilities, build quality, room quality, position and staff attitude/service. The hotel is geared to an American clientelle who could be broadly categorised as "twenty something party animals". Great if that's what you're looking for, but annoying if you are looking at a relaxing break. On the plus side, you can't beat the position; front and centre on the main beach and only metres from the main shopping/cafe/restaurant precinct on Avenida 5. Beach setup is very good with boardwalks and plenty of open and sheltered sunbeds available. The room we stayed in was very spacious and well appointed, and the cleaning staff did a fabulous job. The all inclusive breakfast provided in the restaurant is as good as I've seen anywhere (treat yourself to the omelette). On the negative side, the central lawn is used for noisy weddings and a "doof-doof" party that runs until 11pm on at least one night of the week (Wednesday I think). It was so loud and intrusive we could not stay in our room, after a tiring day of travel and site seeing, we had to go out roaming the streets until it was over. This was our first "all-inclusive" resort experience and I was disappointed with the quality of the included food and drinks. They were universally of poor quality, unless you only drink Corona beers. The pina colada was the worst we've ever had, tasting like they were using artificial sweeteners and flavours, and the food in the restaurant by the beach was disappointing. I guess that's where they make their profit, by skimping on the "all-inclusive" costs.

Room Tip: Anywhere away from the central lawn area, unless you enjoy late night noise and thumping sub-woofers...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paul_mac
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Your comments are very important for us and we are grateful that you take some minutes from your valued time and make this review from us. We are deeply sorry about your perception from our resort and the issues you had in your recently stay.
We cordially invite you to visit us in the near future and give us the opportunity to change your perception from our resort.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my first time at the Royal and it will not be my last time either. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Yes, there is construction next door but if your going to a resort to be in your room the entire time then you should just stay home. The employees there are amazing and are very attentive. They make sure you have everything you need or want. The food was pretty great as well. I have to say that my two favorite were Pelicanos & Asiana. There are plenty of areas where you can relax and have a good time and there are plenty of places where you can party with everyone. The resort is also right off of 5th street which is awesome if you want to walk around and enjoy the shopping/dinning area. I will continue to go to The Royal for years to come.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for speaking so highly of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen in your review and for sharing it with all the other T.A. reviewers. It is always a great pleasure knowing that we exceeded your expectations and that we were able to create such a unique holiday experience. We look forward to pampering you once again in the near future.