We stayed June 1st to the 8th 2013 at the Royal. We were about to cancel due to reports of illness, but didn't. I do believe the sickness is a thing of the past we never heard one person mention it. I booked the trip six months ago so we were very excited. I thought when we checked in they would try to sell us some kind of timeshare, but they didn't. They gave us a VIP check in and they lady explained everything about the resort. We the were taken to our room by the bell hop which had great service and showed us the amenities of the room. We got the lowest cost room which was huge. The room was on the first floor near the pool by the Coffee house and El Mediterranean. The coffee place and the snacks were good and the lady working during the day was very nice. Maria Marie was good with great service - must get the creme brule dessert. Spice- had a good food for buffet style. Mediterranean was good and really liked the soups. After a few days we realized it was open for lunch and tried it out and it was great also.
The room service was just ok but the food was better if you just went to a restaurant. Our delivery person didn't act like he wanted to put the delivery in the magic box, ad advertised they would do, and then when he entered the room he seemed upset at the tip we gave him. Strange. ASIANA-served lunch and dinner both are the same menu but we enjoyed. Chefs Plate-Never ate, but heard several people say it was best food they had ever ate.
The turn town service usually included chocolate, flowers, and some type of character or animal made out of towels - so cute! Pelicano's restaurant also has a bar which stays open until 11 p.m. The bartender there was very entertaining and made different types of shots for everyone. However, we observed him not using the three sink wash method when cleaning glasses. Also, the Royal gift shop was way cheaper for souveniers than some of the shops downtown.
Pros- Great service almost overwhelming at times which is good, seemed they tried to make you feel like a king. No reservations needed at restaurants, great types of people staying at the resort, house keeping was great, restocking the mini fridge everyday. Great location to all the shops if you are the shopping type. You can got to town and get massage for one hour for $18.00, the ability to go next door to the sister resort.The Royal was spotless ,we never saw one dirty thing period! Food was very gourmet. Security was on top of making sure that people who were not staying at the resort were not hanging out in the provided chairs.
Cons-If your a whiskey drinking this place isn't for you! I was very disappointed about not having jack Daniels at many bars, as well as other "top shelf" liquors such as Don Julio or Crown Royal. At the end of the night no Jack was available, the bartender advised they only get one bottle of Jack per day - not sure if this applied to all "top shelf" liquors. I planned to head to town and buy my own bottle since I am not a scotch drinker. The 24 hour bar had Ky Gentleman which is very cheap American whiskey. Room service not using the magic box and even when you ask them to they still didn't want to ,so no need to have the box.Very crowed beach with lots of people passing through that don't even stay at the resort. Slow drink service for beach people. Comforter in room is very heavy and is smothering during the night, however, you can turn your AC down very low. All of the manned bars close at midnight or before then you're stuck w/ the 24 hour bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsClick, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico