“Great service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dyersburg, Tennessee
“Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed June 1st to the 8th 2013 at the Royal. We were about to cancel due to reports of illness, but didn't. I do believe the sickness is a thing of the past we never heard one person mention it. I booked the trip six months ago so we were very excited. I thought when we checked in they would try to sell us some kind of timeshare, but they didn't. They gave us a VIP check in and they lady explained everything about the resort. We the were taken to our room by the bell hop which had great service and showed us the amenities of the room. We got the lowest cost room which was huge. The room was on the first floor near the pool by the Coffee house and El Mediterranean. The coffee place and the snacks were good and the lady working during the day was very nice. Maria Marie was good with great service - must get the creme brule dessert. Spice- had a good food for buffet style. Mediterranean was good and really liked the soups. After a few days we realized it was open for lunch and tried it out and it was great also.

The room service was just ok but the food was better if you just went to a restaurant. Our delivery person didn't act like he wanted to put the delivery in the magic box, ad advertised they would do, and then when he entered the room he seemed upset at the tip we gave him. Strange. ASIANA-served lunch and dinner both are the same menu but we enjoyed. Chefs Plate-Never ate, but heard several people say it was best food they had ever ate.

The turn town service usually included chocolate, flowers, and some type of character or animal made out of towels - so cute! Pelicano's restaurant also has a bar which stays open until 11 p.m. The bartender there was very entertaining and made different types of shots for everyone. However, we observed him not using the three sink wash method when cleaning glasses. Also, the Royal gift shop was way cheaper for souveniers than some of the shops downtown.

Pros- Great service almost overwhelming at times which is good, seemed they tried to make you feel like a king. No reservations needed at restaurants, great types of people staying at the resort, house keeping was great, restocking the mini fridge everyday. Great location to all the shops if you are the shopping type. You can got to town and get massage for one hour for $18.00, the ability to go next door to the sister resort.The Royal was spotless ,we never saw one dirty thing period! Food was very gourmet. Security was on top of making sure that people who were not staying at the resort were not hanging out in the provided chairs.

Cons-If your a whiskey drinking this place isn't for you! I was very disappointed about not having jack Daniels at many bars, as well as other "top shelf" liquors such as Don Julio or Crown Royal. At the end of the night no Jack was available, the bartender advised they only get one bottle of Jack per day - not sure if this applied to all "top shelf" liquors. I planned to head to town and buy my own bottle since I am not a scotch drinker. The 24 hour bar had Ky Gentleman which is very cheap American whiskey. Room service not using the magic box and even when you ask them to they still didn't want to ,so no need to have the box.Very crowed beach with lots of people passing through that don't even stay at the resort. Slow drink service for beach people. Comforter in room is very heavy and is smothering during the night, however, you can turn your AC down very low. All of the manned bars close at midnight or before then you're stuck w/ the 24 hour bar.

Room Tip: The Royal Junior Suite is excellent and very spacious. No reason to spend extra money on a larger r...
2 Thank chris c
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to express our gratitude for staying at our hotel and provide us the privilege to serve you.
We appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions with us and we want you to know that we take our guests´ comments very seriously this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. Please rest assured that issues you raised have been address and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.
Thank you again for your value review and for visiting us and we hope to have the privilege to host you once again in a near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,061)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Upgraded from the Gran Porto real in playa del Carmen and it was the best decision we made the accommodations were spectacular the staff is so pleasant and genuinely nice. The service and attention to detail were phenomenal totally 5 diamond 5 star service and experience I don't know how we could stay anywhere else

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank 02130
Dear Guest,
We truly appreciate your review! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon!
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been 3 times and absolutely love the place. There are always beautiful weddings on the beach and garden, which shows how wonderful it is. We keep going back because of the staff especially. The service is consistently amazing. Particularly, Silvia in the 24 hrs lounge, José, Ana and Chef Cesar in Spice, Lizbeth in el Mediterráneo and everyone in Asiana. Food wise, the quality is great and consistent, but as a vegetarian, I have struggled to find exciting food options. There are vegetarian options at every place to eat, but because of the all-inclusive nature, you end up going to the same places multiple times over the course of a week, and by the end, it is not fun to end up eating the same things over and over again. But then again, the food is consistently of great quality and especially at spice, mediterraneo, asiana, maria marie and chefs plate, the chefs are willing to modify items for you.

It is so worthwhile to go on at least one excursion. The excursions are tiring and take up the whole day, so ive never done more than one each week, but they are so worth it. Last time, we went to chichen itza and got to swim in cenotes, which was amazing amazing and this time, i went scuba diving and snorkeling with Underwater Technical World, which was great. We went to the national park in cozumel, which has the world's second largest coral reef! The training was comprehensive, the experience was amazing, and the day was a blast. We saw so, so much, and the underwater scene was incredible with so much color and life. Samuel and Enrique were helpful in setting up the excursion at the desk by the pool where you get towels, and on the excursion, Fernando, Mizzraim, Jaime, Carlos and the Captain were all excellent instructors and were incredible helpful. If you are remotely interested in scuba diving or snorkeling, it is so worth the price and the experience. You don't have to worry about a thing with transport, food, equipment or maneuvering, which is great. Overall, the quality was very consistent with that of the hotel- excellent.

However, I would highly advise against becoming members. We did, and while there were a few nice perks such as certificates for a free future stay, vacationing there as a member is not cheaper than it would be to stay at a nice beach resort in the us with airfare and the discounted rate. There is nothing to do with the weeks once you have them honestly, and it feels like a giant wasted investment. However, the salespeople are very good and convincing, but you really can't sell those weeks or do much with them, so steer clear. We don't even get a large discount while planning weddings, because they have so many weddings at full price that its not worth their time to negotiate. Every time we go, we end up having issues because of our membership in some capacity, which never really get resolved, and it adds stress to the trip with constant meetings to negotiate. Just don't. But the actual resort is still worth visiting, even multiple times, without membership.

Room Tip: You can often barely see the ocean from oceanview rooms, so if you are unhappy with your room, just...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hotpinkmasala
Dear Guest,

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your review. It was absolutely our pleasure welcoming you back to your home away from home and we will always be honored of hosting such distinguished and kind guests as you are.
We remain at your service and looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future!
Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I returned on Sunday June 9th from The Royal. This hotel beat my expectations in every way. The hotel was impeccably clean, the view from our room was stunning and the service was just amazing.

The staff at THERoyal were all very friendly and always smiling. Prude was always a ray of sunshine around the pool. Mr. Roberto at Trade winds was great, remembering my drinks and very easy to talk to. The room service was very good and attentive.

I have nothing bad to say at all. Aside from wishing I could have stayed longer and the rain had let up a touch sooner. I would and have suggested this resort to many of my friends and family already.

I can't wait till I can go back. Thank you to everyone at THERoyal for a great and memorable Honeymoon.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Jr. Suite was worth every penny. A beautiful view and nice breeze.
2 Thank mike b
Dear Guest,
We´re so glad to read your nice review of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen. Please be sure that our Staff will be always exceeding our mutual clients’ expectations.
Thanks a lot for your recent stay with us and we are looking forward welcoming you back to your home away from home THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just arrived back from a 7 night stay at the Royal. June 3rd to June 10th, 2013. First let me say that I did read all the reviews prior to our trip and as many, I was highly concerned about getting sick. We traveled with our 5 adult children and two spouses. From the time we arrived until we left, everything was great! The food was good and we made it to all the onsite restaurants to get a taste of some great food. Christopher at Pelicano's was the best, he really took care of us each and every time we dined. His positive attitude and smile were a delight, thanks Christopher. Asiana is a great place to eat! The tacos at Tapa's are out of this world, so yummy. A special thanks to the ladies who made our beach and pool days the best! Evonne, Celia, Laura, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You kept the cocktails coming. Thank you to Arby at the pool bar for all the sexy beers. These employees at the Royal have a thankless job, they really do go the extra mile to make sure you are welcome and taken care of. There were guys at the beach shoveling sand in the hot sun all day long just to make sure people had a nice place to walk. They always have a smile and a warm hello while working hard so we can all enjoy our vacation. Thank you to all of you guys.

A few small things to mention. The drinks were pretty watered down and the beer was never cold. We did go to a bar on 5th avenue and the beer was so cold there, it was refreshing. The hotel does not serve Corona! A must for Mexico. The ocean does smell like sewage at times but still a nice beach. Plenty of chairs at the beach most days, but as many have said the pool chairs fill up fast with towels so if you don't get there first thing, you are out a place by the water.

This property is beautiful and well maintained. Lots to do and the staff from check in to check out are always willing to help.

Room Tip: We had rooms 266,242,118, and 119. They were all away from the construction however, we never heard...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank wiggyrl
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It will be my pleasure to pass your wonderful comments to the members of our staff who exceeded your expectations and provided you with remarkable service.
Once again thank you and we are looking forward welcoming you back to your home away from home THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We got married in Playa del Carmen - Mexico, April 13, 2013 at the Gran Porto in the Playa Del Carmen - Beachfront Gazebo. Being a very OCD person, I was scared to death to leave my plans to someone else, not to mention Mother Nature! It turned out to be the greatest day of our lives.

We needed a kid friendly place, as my niece and a few family friend's kids would be in attendance. Our Travel agent recommended we get Married at The Gran Porto (PDC) and stay at The Royal (PDC). Our guests stayed at the Gran Porto, our wedding was at the Gran Porto, but we stayed at the Royal. They are sister Resorts (All part of the REAL Family), and are literally across the street from each other. We could use all the amenities at both hotels, but our guests could not hang out at ours. This may seem bad, but when you have 40+ guests this is a must. We were able to hang out with our friends and family all weekend, but then take a break at our own hotel. It was perfect and everyone completely understood!

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that went off without a glitch! Due to my neurotic OCD, my now husband and I booked a trip in November (3 months earlier), for a site inspection. We had never checked out the resort and wanted to make sure we could tell our guests exactly what to expect. During our first stay we stayed at the Gran Porto, where our guests were staying and our wedding was being held. It was FABULOUS!!! We have been to numerous all inclusives, some bigger, some fancier, but this by far was one of the cleanest friendliest placest we had ever been. After the first night they knew our names and treated us like gold!

Our tasting on the site tour was with with Server Alexandro and head Chef Marcos. They were a delight to work with as well! Before our tasting, we just imagined resort "all inclusive" food. It was nothing like that. The food was fully cooked, great taste/flavor, and presentation that my guests are still talking about. Marcos and his staff were great even before the big day!

As I mentioned the entire staff was truly/sincerely courteous to us on our first visit. This made me feel so much better. This was not just a show. They showed the utmost hospitality to all of our guests.

We returned to Mexico a few days before our wedding. At that time, we were once again partnered up with Denys Magana. She is cheery and spunky, but not overbearing at all. We met with her the day before our wedding to finalize plans that I had sent her via email. Our meeting lasted about 10 minutes and everything was done! We literally planned our wedding in less that 30 minutes. SO FANTASTIC. Denys handled every detail and just told me where to be and when. SOOOOOOOOO EASY and we would both do it all over again the same way!!!

The wedding was at 5pm on April 13, 2013 in the Gazebo. Perfect time. Weather had cooled off...sun was setting and candles lit the space. I could go on forever! The flowers were PERFECT! The food was FABULOUS! The service was INCREDIBLE! We chose the wedding package with Mariachi band, which was a huge hit! We also had a harpist at the wedding! All part of the package. The resort photographer's (Funever Photos - Monika & Oswaldo) were great as well. They made sure everyone was having fun even while taking pictures. We did splurge on a DJ, but it was so well worth it. I was a little leery of what type of music the DJ would play due to the cultural/age differences. Every single song was perfect. The dance floor was constantly packed!

At one point I turned to my now husband and said..."This is perfect..honestly, better than I ever imagined it!!!" He looked at me...laughed and said..."Who are you? Nothing ever makes you completely happy!". He is so right!!! HAHA! But this was PERFECT!!!

We spent the rest of the week at the Royal - Playa del Carmen. I highly recommend the presidential suites. They have their own spiral stair cases that lead to a private patio and pool on the roof. Completely insane! There was even a fully stocked bathroom up there too. The beds and pillows were also incredibly comfy! My husband and I are still trying to figure out what brand they were. We would seriously buy them for our home.

Overall everyone and everything was outstanding and it was better than anything we could have dreamt of!!!

The salon is great!
Alicia in the Royal Spa did my hair and makeup...I am very picky and I looked incredible. She is so talented!!!
Lucely in the Royal Spa gave a great Mani and pedi!!!
Mily in the spa was also so wonderful with her massage

We would also like to thank more of the Gran Porto and Royal Staff:

Antonio - Gran Porto Server at our Beach Dinner and at our Wedding
Flora - Gran Porto Spa Receptionist...So inviting!
Samuel - Royal Spa - Masseuse
Anna - Concierge at the Royal (Made sure everything was always perfect with our stay.
Bertha & Cristina - Royal maid service. They were so prompt and thorough!
Elsy - Manager at the Royal Spa - walked around made you feel at home.

I truly apologize if we left anyone out!!!

Overall, this was a wedding/vacation/honeymoon to remember. The biggest portion of the wedding could not have been done with Denys Magana and her staff. At times there were two to five weddings going on at once and Denys and her staff took care of them all. We had no idea until we talked to the staff the next day. I would highly recommend either or both hotels! Getting married the old fashion was is great, I am sure. But getting married with friends and family on a vacation is the best. Our Sincerest KUDOS to the entire REAL FAMILY!!!

One main piece of advice...just because it is an all inclusive resort, please tip the staff. If you are getting married there, please make sure to tip EVERYONE who helped along the way. They are good hardworking people who more than deserve it!!!

Shannon & John

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 4 days on a wedding trip. The wedding and the swirl of activity around it were beautifully coordinated and most enjoyable. Particularly impressive were the friendly professionalism of the staff, the ambience of the place and the quality of the experience. I would recommend the Royal to anyone considering a trip to Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: do the online check-in and take a look at the prospective view from the terrace. The rooms on the 4...
6 Thank Jfdeppe
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for speaking so highly of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen in your review and for sharing it with all the other T.A. reviewers. It is always a great pleasure knowing that we exceeded your expectations and that we were able to create such a unique holiday experience. We look forward to pampering you once again in the near future.