“Great resort, some stomach issues”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I spent our 25th anniversary at the Royal, our third trip to the resort. We love the resort and the staff and have never in the past had any issues. However, 3 days in my husband started having stomach problems and now home for 2 weeks they continue. Contacted the doctor today for medication.

Other than the above, as always we really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the Royal. Special thanks goes to Prude and Celia who were our wait staff at the pool. They are the nicest, hardest working ladies you will ever meet. Always there with a drink, even before we asked. Our room was spotless every day, lots of fresh towels and towel art and rose petals on the bed daily.

It was a great, relaxing trip and we will most likely return next year, however we will be checking reviews prior to booking again to ensure that the "illness" issue has been resolved.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rena L

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and i for the 8th time just got back from the RPDC for 11 days of fun and relaxation with two friends of ours who have been there four times as well. After reading alot of reviews before going of many who had taken ill while there, we were concern about going, but never considered cancelling our trip, and we are glad that we didn't.
Sad to say all four of us became ill as well for one or two days, but it was not food poison, but a virus that was being spread from person to person. After talking to many of the guest and the staff and I can not speak for others that have become ill the last few weeks, but ours was definitely a virus and we were able to take some things prescribed by our doctor to counter it and get us better quickly.

The only complaint i have is how upper management over the last few weeks have or have not addressed this issue properly with their guest and the resort. It wasn't until last week they really got serious and changed alot of things, which right away you could tell the difference. They stopped serving fruits around the pool as well as stopped the outdoor cooking classes and shows that serve food outside, and you were required to use hand sanitizer before going into a restaurant, and when someone would check out of a room, they would send a team of workers in with mask and scrumbs and they would spray it down and deep clean the entire room including the curtains along with a lot of other precautions around the resort. one night at 2:00a.m they were also cleaning all of the pool chairs. But enough of the negatives since the positives over weigh them.

The service; workers; food; and entertainment staff is what makes this resort great. My three concierges in the COBA wing were great,including my favorite Theresa who use to be a part of entertainment staff. Whenever we needed something, including dinner reservations they took care of it right away.

Our best server is Chan from Tapas. Chan is definitely the Man. He has taken care of us for some years now, and this time was no exception. Chan arranged for Chef Rudi to prepare us a special lunch two days and it was awesome. The entire staff at Tapas including Luis and of course Alex their supervisor is great just as he was around the pool as supervisor. The staff at Pelicanos is great as well for breakfast anf lunch. The staff at Chef Plate is great as well consisting of Chef Rafael; Sergio; Marcos; Rebeca; and Emilio.

As for the Entertainment staff, they are all good including the two new guys on the block, Armando and Mayer(aka plastic man), but Katie; Victor; Alejandro(aka party boy); Carlos; Azu; and Danny are our favorites because they remember us from previous trips and they alway take time to talk with us. Danny even took the time to make my wife and I a friendship bracelet.

The pool bartenders of Arbey; Luis; and Toney were great and would remember our drinks from the previous day and make them for us. The lobby bartenders of Matt and Raul were our favorites again. Raul when he didn't have grapefruits to make my wife a grapefruit martini he went all the way to Spice restaurant to get some. That's service. I also can not forget Jayson the batender by the coffee shop, very good as well.

I also have to recognize the pool wait staff that work very hard taking drinks to everyone around the pool; beach; and new swim-up rooms. Prude; Celia; Elizabeth; Ruth; Eva; Maggie; Laura; and Andrea, with Andrea being my personal favorite. But Maggie; Eva; and Laura are special as well. And than theres Oscar there supervisor who use to work at the Coffee Shop. He even offered to go to the coffee shop and make me his Oscar Special I use to get when he worked there. And than there is Jamie and Lopez the beach butlers who make a awesome team of taking care of the guest around the pool and the beach.

I also want to acknowledge some hard working hostesses like Selma at Spice in the morning and Anais at El Mediterraeo in the evening who alway have a welcoming smile and always remember me every year.

And than last but not least is our hard working house keeper Reyna Aguilar who kept our room spotless every day and a young lady name Poloma responsible for cleaning the pool restrooms early morning as well as all during the day, and also mop the floors and sweep Tapas and Pelicanos all during the day. I watched her day after day even cleaning every arm rest on each chair in Tapas and Pelicanos byspraying it down and wiping it off and she alway had a smile on her face. Awesome

Eventhough alot of negative reviews have been written lately about some getting sick from mostly a virus going around in the resort as well as the construction next door, the resort is not perfect, but the staff and service is definitely close. Can not wait to go back

Room Tip: Do Not forget to use the SPA hot tub; steam room; sauna; and showers which is included in your packa...
8  Thank mack1963
Reviewed May 13, 2013

When arriving at the Royal in Playa we were taken back with the beauty of it all. That however came to a very fast end because within three days of arriving, we were sick and could not leave the room because of stomach issues, if you know what I mean.
Something has got to be done with so many people getting sick. We are now home and going to the Dr. because we feel so terrible. The water in the resort has a terrible smell. It smells like sewer. I was told many times, the water was safe.
The employees are just simply outstanding. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Service is great too.
Sad to say, we will not be returning because of this terrible experience. Staying state side is probably a much better choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Wendy T
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My new husband and I recently got back from this resort for our Honeymoon. Luckily we packed the first 2-3 days with activities including the spa, parasailing, excursions, etc. because by night 3/day 4 we were unable to leave the room from being so sick :( We had gone on an all day excursion, and we think that was when we 'caught it'. My husband STILL doesn't feel quite right, but he's getting there. Over all, we'd still rate the hotel and trip 4 stars, as it may have been our own fault that we got ill. The hotel itself was immaculate, staff was friendly, drinks were a little weak but with 4 liquor bottles in your room, who cares? Def. hard to get a seat by the pool, but with all the time spent in our room we never made it there anyway. I don't recommend getting room service, even if you are a big tipper - it was cold/stale every time. Lastly, our bed was as firm as a slab of steel - had to lay on the pillows the whole time, but I suspect they didn't think we'd be spending quite as much time laying around as we did... Wifi all around the hotel was great - I used my ipad for pics and watched movies while we were stuck in the room. I'm not sure I will go back to Mexico at all, but then again we rarely go the same place twice.

Room Tip: You are able to pick a room online before you go, so pick something pointing at the pool or courtyar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just returned May 12th from my second visit to the Royal. The resort was beautiful and immaculate. My suite which included a living/dining room and a large balcony was breathtaking.The service as always was beyond gracious, the employees always seem to have a smile on their face. I would like to give a shout out to some of the employees who really made this trip memorable for my husband and I. First William the bell hop who took care of our bags, Obil who served us a romantic dinner on the beach, Jose in Spice who treated us like a king and queen whenever we visited for breakfast or lunch, Maggy the best pool waitress ever!
and last but not least the entertainment team at the pool (Danny boy, Jesus, Carlos,Victor,and Armando) for non stop fun! Oh yes and Abbey in guest services. Already planning next years vacation!!!!!

3  Thank Cindy D
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just came back from our 30-person destination wedding at The Royal. We originally picked this resort back in August 2012 based on incredible TA reviews and a couple of recommendations from friends. Please know that this is a beautiful resort, but there is something that is causing a significant portion of guests to get sick. Out of my 30 guests, more than 20 people got sick, and some guests are still sick upon returning home. Our special day was ruined due to this ongoing problem, and absolutely nothing was done to remedy the situation. I strongly suggest that you avoid this resort until something is done.

PROS:
- resort: beautiful property
- location: proximity to 5th Ave is a big plus
- staff friendliness: everyone is always very welcoming

CONS:
- sickness: the numerous reviews on sicknesses are not coincidences! Something is wrong
- food: inconsistent quality (salt level, temperature), but always presented well
- beach: strong odor from beach, consistently approached for parasailing
- Coco Bongo: misrepresented what we paid for ("booth" means small tables crammed together)

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of resort are facing construction on an adjacent property
6  Thank Eugene K
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from the 1st January for 7 nights and have nothing but good things tpo say.
From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were treated like royalty
We were welcomed with a glass of ice cold champagne whilst we were checked in.
We were offered an upgrade which we took advantage of which we definately recommend as the private pool is amazing.
During checkin we were asked what kind of pillows we would like on our bed and if we wanted any sent in the room.
Once we were shown to our room we were greated by further welcome goodies ( Bottle of Wine, Chocolates and Fresh fruit)
The rooms are amazing - they consist of a HUGE bed, Your own Jaccuzi bath and a fantastic shower area.
We only ate out of the hotel once as everything you could possibly want is right in front of you.
The restaurants are brilliant with plenty of choice of food.
There are several restaurants to choice from - My favourites are the Spice and Asiana
The drinks are all lovely and the pool barman makes the best coctails i have tasted

The beach is out of this world and is monitored by the Hotels security. They do not allow anyone who is not staying at the hotel onto their beach area or into the Hotel grounds.
This is adult only hotel so every day you didnt have to endure screaming children.
Every single staff member we came into contact with was friendlly, poilite and always wanting to help you.
They go out of their way to speak to you and get to know you and are a credit to the Hotel.
We are gtting married this year and if we hadnt alread booked our honeymoon we would of booked the Royal Playa Del Carmen
Oh well - we have booked for New Year again instead