The Royal Playa del Carmen
$517
$310
$217
Barcelo.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$448
$359
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$304
$229
Melia.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$15,600
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
Iberostar.com
$535
$450
17,608 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platecoffee houseromance conciergespice restaurantjose garciadanny boyfrozen grapeshour loungeocean viewturn down servicetequila barour honeymoonlobby barpresidential suitebeach butleril pescatore
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Ok. This was our first time to The Royal. We went for 7 days late april, early May for our anniversary with another couple. My mother in law has been to both to the Royal in Playa and Cancun. Loved every time she has been there. We were so excited to go. The resort itself is lovely and very nice. The food was ok, we liked Asiana the best. Now around the 3rd day it hit us. All of us had diarrhea and one both vomiting and diarrhea. Hers was so bad she missed the excursion we booked. We all drank bottled water and even brushed our teeth with it. I had read some reviews prior to going and brought my pepto and imodium and emergen-c, but those did nothing. No matter how much pepto or imodium we took it did not help. We met a few other people while there that had the same thing. Really not sure what is going on. We have been home for 5 days and we still are not right. Not as bad but still sick. Also, the water from the shower and tub really had a rotten egg smell. We only used the jacuzzi once because of that. Not sure what was causing that smell. My mother in law said she never experienced that before.

Does this mean we will never go back? No, I think we would give it another shot. Hopefully, they clear this problem up because it really is a nice resort.
That staff was always very friendly ( well except for Mr. Grumpy in the coffee shop, not sure of his name) and the shows good. Rooms were nice as well.

Room Tip: We had room 254 overlooking the pool. Very nice location although no hammock on the balacony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LBO83
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear guest,

THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is aware of few guest comments placed on Trip Advisor regarding a suspected stomach illness. The health and safety of our guests is our highest priority and we are taking these concerns with the utmost seriousness. We want our guests to know that we operate our Resort to the highest international sanitary standards such as HACCP & FDA Code and continually exceed all requirements for hygiene and cleanliness.
Unfortunately, with the extended winter in colder climates we have seen a longer than usual continuation of the regular flu and virus seasons. Occasionally guests will arrive at the Resort unknowingly with a flu or virus and spread it among their travel companions or other guests before they realize they are ill. However, regardless of the cause, we want all of our guests to be assured that if there is an illness reported to the resort we immediately re-sanitize our kitchens, restaurants, bars, rooms and public areas and assure that suppliers & chain of distributors follow the same processes with the highest international hygiene standards and with reinforced viral & bacterial sanitizing products.
Again, we want to emphasize that we make cleanliness, hygiene and water purification among our highest priorities here at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

This our third visit to the royal- we have always loved staying here.........but this time is different .
There is definitely a sanitation issue going on here. After reading the countless reviews starting in late April. We're still here and Ivan tell you it hity wife first, then today I'm starting to feel the effects. Of course memtioning this to other guests confirms it. Honestly there are only two types of guests staying here now- those that are sick and those who just checked in and are waiting for the first cup of hemlock to be sipped.
For what it's worth- my therory is that the issue is with the water coming out of the faucets in the suites. I've definitely noticed a "sewer" odor Coming out of the faucets. You know no matter what, that can't be good.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Jrcoil
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is aware of few guest comments placed on Trip Advisor regarding a suspected stomach illness in late April. The health and safety of our guests is our highest priority and we are taking these concerns with the utmost seriousness. We want our guests to know that we operate our Resort to the highest international sanitary standards and continually exceed all requirements for hygiene and cleanliness.
Unfortunately, with the extended winter in colder climates we have seen a longer than usual continuation of the regular flu and virus seasons. Occasionally guests will arrive at the Resort unknowingly with a flu or virus and spread it among their travel companions or other guests before they realize they are ill. However, regardless of the cause, we want all of our guests to be assured that if there is an illness reported to the resort we immediately re-sanitize our kitchens, restaurants, bars and assure that suppliers & chain of distributors follow the same processes with the highest international hygiene standards and with reinforced viral & bacterial sanitizing products.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

i recently went on a gettaway with my husband to Royal playa del carmen from April 27 to May 4, 2013 and it was one of the best weeks of our life. I've been to other resorts but this one was amazing. The food was absolutely delicious, the hospitality,the rooms were always clean and in order, the service was impeccable, there were drinks whenever you needed them, everything was just wonderful. I had a wonderful time and would go back and recommend it to my family and friends. I did not get sick nor contracted the flu when i was there, so people stop blaming the hotel and your flu virus you brought with you from your country to Mexico.

Janice martineau

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janice M
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had an amazing time in Playa!! I would absolutley go again. Lots to see and tons of nice people and better yet the partying was phenomenal! Service and staff were very pleasant and quick. Lots of people sick on the plane there, I was scared that I might catch the flu before even getting off the plane but thank God I didn't. Already planning for the trip back next year!! DON"T GET ON THE PLANE IF YOU`RE SICK!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan H
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my second time staying at The Royal and it definitively won't be my last! Overall a great time, got to see some wicked coral reefs and rented out some jet-skis! The staff was excellent, everyone was always happy and polite. The food was always good and their variety was outstanding! Unlike other reviews me and my friends did not get sick while spending a lot of time at the hotel. Really excited for my next trip there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends