“Had a great time!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Had a great time!!!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had an amazing time in Playa!! I would absolutley go again. Lots to see and tons of nice people and better yet the partying was phenomenal! Service and staff were very pleasant and quick. Lots of people sick on the plane there, I was scared that I might catch the flu before even getting off the plane but thank God I didn't. Already planning for the trip back next year!! DON"T GET ON THE PLANE IF YOU`RE SICK!!!

1 Thank Ryan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,242)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my second time staying at The Royal and it definitively won't be my last! Overall a great time, got to see some wicked coral reefs and rented out some jet-skis! The staff was excellent, everyone was always happy and polite. The food was always good and their variety was outstanding! Unlike other reviews me and my friends did not get sick while spending a lot of time at the hotel. Really excited for my next trip there!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotel is beautiful, all staff was wonderful. We had a great week but on the 5th day my brother in law became a victim of the stomach virus going around. On the day we were leaving I also became ill. We both needed Cipro from our drs when we arrived home. We are a few of the lucky ones because we didn't get sick until the end of our vacation. After reading all of the reviews about the hotel not admitting to their guests that there was a problem, I don't know If I would go back the the
Royal. For the management to say that their guest brought the virus with them is a insult. And to charge your guests to see a Dr. is crazy when it was your hotel that got everyone sick.

Room Tip: We stayed by the pool and it was great.
8 Thank s r
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but I feel it necessary so others who are planning on visiting can be prepared. The Resort is beautiful with excellent and friendly staff members, a variety of restaurants to choose from and a great spa. Unfortunately, my husband and I ended up getting the stomach virus that was going around the resort. We both still have it four days after returning home. Several members of our group got it with some ending up in the ER. Being careful will not help. We never ate "off resort" we constantly used hand sanitizer and we used bottled water to brush our teeth. I am not writing this to complain but only to give others fair warning. I would hate to see travelers have to miss out on well earned vacations due to this. Other than the virus it is a beautiful resort with a lot to offer. Please be prepared and bring your own Imodium, pepto, pedialyte, Gatorade etc.

• Stayed May 2013
13 Thank SweetCaroline7
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is aware of few guest comments placed on Trip Advisor regarding a suspected stomach illness in late April. The health and safety of our guests is our highest priority and we are taking these concerns with the utmost seriousness. We want our guests to know that we operate our Resort to the highest international sanitary standards and continually exceed all requirements for hygiene and cleanliness.
Unfortunately, with the extended winter in colder climates we have seen a longer than usual continuation of the regular flu and virus seasons. Occasionally guests will arrive at the Resort unknowingly with a flu or virus and spread it among their travel companions or other guests before they realize they are ill. However, regardless of the cause, we want all of our guests to be assured that if there is an illness reported to the resort we immediately re-sanitize our kitchens, restaurants, bars and assure that suppliers & chain of distributors follow the same processes with the highest international hygiene standards and with reinforced viral & bacterial sanitizing products.
Again, we want to emphasize that we make cleanliness, hygiene and water purification among our highest priorities here at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed April 28-May 5th Can't say much that has not already been said. 7 in our group of 11 got sick. Went to management on the 30th when 4 in the group were already sick, asked if any issues, "no, no your group must have drank too much", people sick were not drinkers, "well then must have been in the sun too long", nope had chairs under the cabanas. Went back to a manager on the 1st, same story, even said they had no reports, when I reported it the day before. Then asked guest services about it on the 3rd after more of the group was sick and was being blamed again for making ourselves sick?? and then told. "What do you want me to do about it?" I have stayed here in the past and brought many referrals to this property.We came for a relaxing vacation, we did not come to party. I understand that sickness can go around, but 100% do not appreciate the way we were treated. Your policy of “do everything with love” is a joke! Your staff knew full well of the sickness and did nothing to let guests know or help in ANY way. I will no longer recommend you or any of your resorts. You have lost a loyal customer by your failure to "exceed our expectations and provide us with a relaxing vacation"; spending half of a vacation unable to leave your room for 7 of our guests was not enjoyable. And then to be treated so rudely by staff was so disappointing. :( Finally on Saturday, saw staff squirting hand sanitizer on each guests hands as they entered Spice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Tammlt
Dear Guest,
Burkburnett, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very nice resort. Would definately go back again.. It is an all adult resort, but has a sister hotel right across the street where you would have access to both resorts. Staff is very friendly and helpful..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Before you dismiss this as a statistical oddity, seriously consider what I'm saying and the complaints of others. You'll be glad you did. My wife and I stayed here for six nights in April 2013.

1) Not having been to a resort before, my wife and I were caught off guard and walked right into a sales pitch presentation. I realize it's a business, but do NOT trick your guests into this crap. Had we known what it was (it sounded like it was some kind of welcome breakfast/orientation), we would have passed. Avoid this trap unless you're really interested in signing up for a non-timeshare-but-really-the-same-as-a-timeshare package that costs you only $20k. Ugh. Worst part is it was only supposed to be 90 minutes, but it ended up being 2.5 hours because we said "no". Stupid waste of time.

2) We had a junior suite with a walk up pool that was facing the ocean. First off, you can't see the ocean from the room, so who cares what it faces. But this may actually have ended up being a plus because the beach is basically a public beach, not a private, fenced off thing. All you see are other tourists from all over (including children... so much for "adult only"), jet skis, para-sailing, and a huge ferry. The "cabanas" were practically stacked on top of one another so you had ZERO privacy and you couldn't even really close them off to get shade. The beach itself is also not impressive, even if you were the only one there.

3) In the whole resort there was ZERO shade, except during the early morning and well into the afternoon. You simply CANNOT find shade anywhere at this resort (no umbrellas or anything). This is fine if all you want to do is burn and get melanoma, but we wanted to RELAX. The main pool area was not an option either. It was overcrowded, full sun all the time, and had nothing but frat boys and loud music pumping. How the hell is this relaxing? We'd have been okay with it given that we had our own "private" pool, but here's the next problem...

4) Our room was right next to what we ended up calling "Wedding Central". No one throughout our booking process thought it would be relevant to mention that all the weddings were conducted literally in our room's backyard. This meant constant best man/maid of honor speeches, music, and receptions. God help me, I almost lost it by day three. This included receptions that went on until past 11:00pm with full music and loud guests. Awesome. Your mileage may vary here, as it will depend on what they have scheduled. But also be aware that you can hear weddings from other resorts, so even if they say they don’t have anything planned, you may still be at the mercy of a resort next door.

5) The very first night we were at the hotel, our neighbors decided to throw an after party or something in their room late at night. I think it started around 11:30pm, but it carried on until at least 1:00am before we finally had enough and called the front desk to complain. They sent security down, but after 15 minutes when nothing stopped we got a call from the front desk telling us the guests "refused to quiet down", so there was nothing more they could do. Seriously!? They did move us to another room temporarily, but really? This is how you handle a disruption of this nature? To just say "we tried, nothing more we can do"? Completely unacceptable.

6) FOOD POISONING. Oh yes, I got it. My wife didn't, but I lost a day and a half to traveler's diarrhea. We ate at Chef's Plate on our fourth night and as soon as I got back to the room, I was on the toilet. From other reviews I apparently got off pretty easy, but it was NOT pleasant to have to be unable to join my wife on her swim with the dolphin excursion the next day (which she LOVED). Instead, I spent that time in my hotel room. Which brings me to...

7) Lost power. As I was holed up in my room, the AC quit out on me twice. This really, really sucks in such extreme heat and humidity. Thankfully, it wasn't too long, but still. It happened once again the next day, too. Somewhat related, the AC was quite loud when it was working, with all sorts of rattling going on.

8) Lost hot water. How do you run out of hot water in the whole resort? I realize it's a hot place, so a cool shower seems like a good idea, but not a FREEZING shower. And after sweating all day and using sunscreen (and after spending a day in the bathroom) you really, REALLY want to feel clean.

9) The “shopping” on the avenue was a joke. Prices were insane for junk. My wife was told to look for silver jewelry. We shopped a bit for this, but it was clear everything was WAY overpriced. Not a complaint on the hotel per se, but don’t think this experience is a redeeming factor. It’s not, unless you like getting ripped off and/or buying cheap, touristy junk.

10) Discreet room service is anything but. I used it three times and they didn’t use the little cubbyhole to insert the food and signal that it was delivered. They had to come into the room each time, obviously looking for a tip. Awkward.

11) They never fixed the blown vanity light the whole time we were there. My wife called it in on day one and they said they’d send someone, but it never happened. We didn’t push it. We chose to pick our battles.

12) Some restaurants say they have a dress code. Don’t bother. We dressed up only to see people in flip flops, shorts, baseball caps, and t-shirts. Not that I really care, but if you have a code, stick to it. Don’t pretend to be something you’re not. Also, some of these restaurants were not air conditioned, which made the meal less pleasant because of the heat and humidity. This is doubly so when you’re dressed up in pants and closed-toe shoes.

Positives? Well, aside from getting sick, the food is actually pretty good. Also, the staff is very friendly, if not disorganized. Though after spending a week at this place it did develop a bit of a cult feel to it with just how “enthusiastic” everyone was. But I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were genuine about it.

Having no frame of reference, I can honestly say there are better resorts out there for the money. There must be. Do your research. If you want a nice relaxing resort experience, stay away from here. If you want MTV Spring Break, melanoma, and the chance of food poisoning, sign up, you’ll have a blast.

Room Tip: Note where the wedding pavilion is and stay away, unless you're in or part of a wedding.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Thomas O
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Please rest assured that we will share your valuable feedback with our staff for our improvement and in order to achieve our guest’s entire satisfaction. We sincerely apologize if you felt uncomfortable with our service. We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience