“Wonderful experience!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited The Royal Hotel with a group and had the time of my life! The level of service is like none I've experienced before! The housekeeping staff were constantly busy making it the 5-star experience it was.
Maria was our turndown maid and made me feel right at home with her friendly way. She came to the room when I'd turned in early one night and at first I told her I wouldn't need her services but she kindly reminded me that she had chocolates and then regaled me with her towel animal skills. We had a lovely little visit in spite of language barrier. Top notch service at this hotel. Beautiful restaurants on-site. And of course all of this set in nature's 5-star accomodations!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Rose B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,213)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2013

First off, I want to thank Enrique, Franco, Ricardo and, especially, Chris (my Dive-Master) for the single most amazing day EVER in Playa del Carmen. On their recommendation, I chose to dive the one of the many cenotes in the area. This dive took me to the Tajma Ha cenote and it was, without a doubt, one of the most incredible dives I've ever had the pleasure of partaking in. These guys were truly first class.

Next, the entire facility is second-to-none. If you have any doubts about the resort, please put them out of your head immediately. From the fine dining (the Chef's Plate, Pelicanos, and so on) to the service throughout the resort - from the entertainment around the pool to the relaxation in the shade along the oceanfront, this facility has something for everyone.

This trip was our second time here - and we plan to be back many times in the future.

Room Tip: Near the pool, but not on first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank DrummerWB
Varese, Italy
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks at the Royal Playa Del Carmen. It really was paradise.

No one even approached us about timeshares but perhaps because we were from the UK and obviously with it being a long flight, we probably wouldn't be interested.

We upgraded to an ocean view room but probably wouldn't do it again as we had a kind of side view. Room was gorgeous though and very well looked after by the cleaners. BIG problem with mosquitos though and were eaten alive during the night. Told reception and got it sprayed. Also asked the cleaners for our own can of RAID which they happily donated so we sprayed the room constantly!

The restaurants were fantastic. Reservations needed at Maria Marie and El Med. For us, Maria Marie and Il Pelicanos were the best. You need to book a few days in advance unless you want 6.30pm or 9.30pm in which case, you can book the day before. There are 2 other restaurants available at the sister resort across the road called il Pescatore and Maria but they aren't a patch on the ones in The Royal and I wouldn't bother with them.

We both used the gym most days with my boyfriend using the gym itself and me doing Stott Pilates. The classes get booked up quickly so you need to book them a few days in advance. Having said that, most classes would have free spaces as people booked and didn't turn up. The class has 4/5 places. Pilates and spinning classes run all through the day. Regina who does the classes is fantastic! She really works you hard but she is knowledgable about stott pilates and really fun at the same time1 She is cheerful and smiley and made me feel like it was worth the 7am alarm to make the first class! I felt really comfortable with her despite it being the first time i'd tried it. She explained everything really clearly.

We did 2 days diving in the cenotes with the diving/water sport place available in the hotel. It is the same place that you get the beach towels from. They were really first class. We did 4 cenotes dives in total with 2 different instructors. Jaimie and Chris. Both were professional, friendly but most of all safe. I can be quite nervous when I've not dove for a few months but they made me feel totally at ease. Briefings were thorough and they made it clear that it was all about having a safe dive. The instructors dive fully kitted out for cave diving despite the fact that it is officially cavern diving. Jaimie was able to give us some great information about the cenotes themselves and the history of them and Chris answered all my questions about cave diving and reassured me when I was a bit nervous about the lack of space in the caverns.( Not as bad as I thought!) The thing we loved the most was that we could go,dive,come back. As any diver will know, thats what you want. We don't want the day made longer by snorkelling trips/lunch. We want to go dive and be back at the hotel that we paid so much money for! We were picked up at 9am and dropped back by 2pm having done 2 dives. Brilliant! I know they do other excursions apart from diving and I would recommend that you go with them rather than trying to find another place in PDC as you won't find a better company than them. Just a shame that they are not advertised on the hotel website as we didn't know they were even there.

Enjoy!

6 Thank sarah w
Casper, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This house keeper exceeded my expectations on every front and I would like to personally thank her for making our stay exceptional. Aida Canto I really appreciate the way you took care of our room and our needs, you are an asset that this hotel should appreciate. Thank you for all you have done and are doing to make the guests' experience an amazing one.
Shannon and Trevor Clark

3 Thank Shannon C
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2013

my wife and i stayed march 7-12. we were celebrating our anniversary and visiting playa for the 4th time. the romance concierge took very good care of us and they made a special turndown for us every night. while i may have prefered to have a poolside/ocean view room, i was not at all disappointed with our 3rd floor 800 building room. the rooms are very neat, large and clean. and we loved the in room hot tub. while the food at each restaurant was excellent, we especially liked pelicanos and Asiana. and if you dont feel like going out for food - call room service. we used this several times and were never disappointed. quality food and drinks delivered in 30 minutes or less. an excellent perk provided at this resort. when we stay here next year i believe we get a one of the private pool rooms. my wife and i enjoy going to 5th avenue and this resort couldnt have been a better location for our evening walks and drinks. i will never stay anywhere else but the royal while in playa.

Room Tip: garden view rooms are quiter. street side rooms are not nearly as noisy as one would expect and they...
3 Thank christopher c
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

As I promise each and every year, I am writing my beautiful review of this exquisite property. After reading my review, you will be able to see why I keep coming back every year. The Royal Playa del Carmen is a beautifully landscaped property where every detail matters. We chose the Royal to celebrate our anniversary every year and every year we are so impressed and so sad when it is time to cut off our bracelets. I will break down some of our highlights of this year
A) Romance Concierge: Anna and Charon. These two women will help make your stay the most beautiful and relaxing. They are there for you. They work very hard at all details ensuring that it is exactly what you want. From the time we entered our room, it was tastefully decorated and just sung romance. We also were quite impressed when we emailed them before hand and all requests were kept and they always ask, "Is there anything else we can do to help".. and they mean it! I even broke my tooth down in Playa del Carmen this year-- you can all laugh.. eating the best guacamole in the world.. but Anna took charge and got me an appointment for that evening. She helped me writing down directions for the taxi and she was generally concerned. The next day Charon asked me how I was doing too. They work so efficiently as a team and I can honestly say that I felt like they were my friends. Check in was wonderful as we checked in with Charon who was so excited to see us again. I do a lot of promoting for the resort on social net working so they knew exactly when I was arriving and big hugs were given all around. Thank you Anna and Charon... you made our trip the most amazing :)

2) Service-- The service is top notch! I have to mention the gorgeous Prude who works so hard at the Beach. She is a beautiful person inside out. She always had nice cold refreshing drinks ready with so many laughs. She made my day each and everyday. One day I was not feeling the greatest and she was very concerned and caring. She kept bringing me the water and wanted to make sure I was okay. This woman is truly Royal material and she is amazing--- When I think of the Royal Playa del Carmen, I get excited to see Prude each and every year. To me, she is so wonderful.. and I just cannot highlight enough the recognition she deserves

Ari-- thank you thank you for being such a wonderful waitress. She set the tone each evening for us at the Tequilla bar. She is always watching when our drink is empty and there she comes ready to help with a big smile. We had great conversations with her and I asked if we could see pictures of her children. She is a proud mother and a hard working individual. She is definitely Royal in every essence and I cannot wait to see her again.

Ruben- Ruben at El Mediterraneano was simply amazing. He has worked so hard on his English and he loves conversing as he serves you. He has such a bright smile and he works diligently in providing an ambiance that is perfect for dinner. He has a big heart and we were able to converse a lot about the region. Thank you Ruben! It was our first time meeting you down there and we were very impressed with you!

At the beach, we had a wonderful beach concierge in the afternoon and I cannot remember her name. She is also found at El Mediterraneo in the morning as a concierge there. She was so great to talk to and she cleaned our glasses. She is very proud of her job and she is new since I have been going. Great work!!! I just wish I remembered your name but hopefully the Royal can acknowledge her too!

Andrea, our maid, whom we actually had very little interaction with always cleaned our room top notch wish so many towel animals. She was very creative in providing a romantic atmosphere for my partner and I. She had a big smile and she asked us if everything was okay. It was beyond ok-- it was exceptional! Thanks Andrea!

Jorges at Marias (Gran Porto)- We really enjoyed his service and kindness. We love this restaurant at Gran Porto!! The wonderful thing about the Royal is that you can use the Gran Proto property too and it is also top notch there too. Real Resorts truly is a chain that works to provide the best of the best and they have done it time after time.

3) Spazul- I normally write down all of the names of the wonderful people who provided me service and this year I forgot. I had a beautiful massage by Samuel who is truly a gem. Samuel is so empathic in his approach and he really understands your individual needs. I also had a facial by Patti who highlighted some things that I could do to improve my skin. Class act!! I had a shave ... and I can't remember her name but she was perfect!! I wish I could remember her name, but if anyone ever needs a man's shave.. please consider going to spazul . for 30 bucks its like getting the best straight razor shave and your skin is so soft and perfect. She worked on me for quite some time!!

4) Gay friendly resort: We have travelled all over the world as a gay couple and the Royal Playa del Carmen is home to us. We are treated like every other couple and no one even blinks an eye. When I requested two male robes to the room, we were given that. I highly suggest this resort to anyone who is wondering where can I go and have an experience like no other. They accept and celebrate diversity. It is truly beautiful.

5) The food at this resort is high quality. It is like sitting down at a high end restaurant for a multi course meal. The detail and presentation into every meal makes you appreciate it even more. If you are looking for a resort with great food, this is the one!

6) The rooms are stunning. We stayed in room 333 which was a junior suite but it had a touch of an oceanview and a view of the garden and pool-- as well as it was smack dab in the middle of everything. The balcony was huge!! with a seating area and a hammock. It was a wonderful room. I always enjoy the jacuzzi tub and I did again this year... and asked the turn down service if she would not mind drawing me a bath--- and that she did with rose pedals and everything... awe I love the Royal!!

7) We were there as a couple but also with many friends for a wedding. If you are thinking about a wedding here-- i can tell you that this was a magical experience. The beach party was so much fun too!!

Thank you to the Royal Playa del Carmen for allowing us to live this beautiful experience. Other people have complained on here about Real Resorts club but we never had one person ask us about this which is fine because it would not really work for us. The only suggestions I have is that I wish that there was no reservations at Maria Marie as the past. I was ok with the beeper. We were told, however, that a lot of people make reservations and do not show up-- so you can check to see if you can get in anyway.
I understand the Royal works very hard at being environmentally friendly, but I do miss the plastic "throw away" cups at the beach. I understand though that so many people probably left "their mess" at the beach and why this had to be changed.

Royal Playa del Carmen te quiero! You are everything I could ask for in an all inclusive resort. If anyone ever has any questions, I am a 3peat traveller here and would be more than willing to help you with any questions or direct you in the right place.

Room Tip: Royal Junior Suites Room 333, 335, 320, are wonderful rooms
11 Thank scottaym
Deganwy
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel deserves its 5 stars, the facilities, staff, choice of restaurants are excellent - it took a bit of getting used to the fact that 99% of guests were American - who regrettably dont know how to talk normally - they shout - not sure why they have to be so noisey!! However it you like a little peace and quiet away from the madding crowd there is a delightful pool adjacent to the Mediterrano restaurant with about 50 or so sun loungers, a bar, a coffee house, which provide you with strawberries covered in chocolate, they arrive around about 11a.m. together with truffles all made in the kitchens, and which are scrumptious. This area is known as the 'quiet area' and is delightful, we spent three weeks of heaven around this pool - and had a great holidy in this hotel.

Room Tip: Always book a room with ocean view,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends