“Great Place to Relax”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great Place to Relax”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a group of 11 family members and had a great time! Love Cecilia, Prude and Eva who looked after us on the beach! Plus in Spice - Selma and Andres and Jeronimo - all such wonderful people....Rosy @ check in/out was wonderful too, very helpful.. Staff actually are genuinely friendly and mean their greeting to us!
Weather a little cool sometimes...my only feedback would be more of the comfortable beige beach chairs on the beach, instead of the blue ones!

So great to be able to just walk into Playa, which is so safe! Also recommend Siesta Fiesta (in spite of tiny seats for cocktails and Los Parillos for dinner!
Rooms are wonderful, housekeeping is great too....highly recommend this is our 2nd year!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aliwalks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,217)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I (and two other couples) just visited the Royal from March 5-14th, 2013.This place was amazing. The staff went above and beyond. The food & drink was A-1 and if you like seafood...this is definitely your place.The resort itself is set up perfectly.Steps to the beach and literally steps to 5th Avenue.The only thing I was not pleased with is that we booked thru travelocity and paid for a oceanview room.Our friends booked thru sears and also booked oceanview rooms. We ended up on the backside of the resort facing a road to the Cozumel ferry. Our friends ended up on the inside of the resort(it is shaped like a horseshoe) with balconies facing the ocean.I know that cannot be helped...just a word to the wise.The rooms were beautiful and the beds are aweome-I wish I could have brought mine home.
Overall this is one of the finest resorts we have visited and would highly reccommend visiting soon !!

Room Tip: rooms facing courtyard are nicer
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chrissy Z
La Vista, Nebraska
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I (we are in our mid-fifties) just returned from our stay at the Royal 3/6-3/14 and it was wonderful. Weather is always a wild card but we had great weather for all but one day, and our skin probably was thankful for a day off from the sun anyway. The customer service that is provided from every one of their staff is simply outstanding. They are extremely friendly and most helpful for anything you might want or need.

We have stayed at other resorts in the area and the rooms at the Royal are somewhat smaller, but more than adequate, and we had a beautiful view of the ocean and pool areas in our Jr. Ocean view suite.

The resort itself is also smaller than some others we have stayed at, but that was nice as you did not have to walk as far and it did not take much time to get your bearings on where things were located. It has a beautuful beach located very close to the pool and most of the rooms at the hotel. Being downtown was a plus too. Although we only spent one afternoon/evening in town, it was very convenient to be able to leave 5th Ave.and go back to hotel whenever we wanted without need for a taxi.

Food was excellent at all of the restaurants including the Italian one at the neighboring hotel. We could eat at their restaurants (Gran Porto Real) as well as the ones at our hotel.The guests from the other hotel could not reciprocate since the Gran Porto has families and the Royal is adult-only. Maria Marie, Asiano, and the Italian restaraunt at the neighboring hotel would be our top 3.

The pools (3) were smaller than some other resorts, and we would have preferred them to be a little bigger. 2 of them were not heated which gives you quite a thrill when you jump in for the first time If you want a good lounge chair/space to sit out in the sun at the pool then you have to get up early to get your stuff put out. I got up at 5am everyday to do that, then went back to bed.

The scuba trip that I set up through hotel was fantastic. One of the best dives I have been on and very reasonably priced too. Enrique, Luis, and Franco are most helpful getting it set up for you. And no worries if you have never dived before or are not a certified diver. There is a large scuba pool at the hotel where they will give you the training you need before heading over to Cozumel for 2 specatular dives on one of the best reefs in the word.

The Time share folks were a bit aggressive. I made the mistake of asking them a question one day and subsequently got set up with an appointment to meet them, which I ended up cancelling. I didn't want to give them the 90 minutes they wanted (which I hear can end up being much longer than that) nor have I found many people that ever say they are a good deal.. They seemed a little miffed about my not showing up for the appointment, but no problem from my end. As i have learned from my lovely wife of more than 35 years, I just said "NO!, followed by Adios and Gracias."

Only tricky part was that there are a lot of subtle curbs that you have to be careful about when you walk around. They are in weird places and not very well defined so we both almost ended up tripping early on. I ended up falling the last day (while enjoying a few too many libations with some very nice Canadians that we met) and when I returned (limped) home the next day, found out I had broke my fibula.. I am just going to blame the Canadians we were with and their "Ceasar's," Bloody Mary like drinks that they made themselves..............but they sure were good and their company even better.

We both had a thoroughly great time and would definitely consider returning to the Royal again in the future.

Randy & Dee from Nebraska

Room Tip: Jr. Ocean view or any room that faces the main pool area. 3rd floor is ideal unless you want a firs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Randy K
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

the Royal Playa del Carmen is probably the best resort we have ever been to. There is not a single fault we could find with it and recommend it highly. I have myself used trip advisor before booking any of my trips and appreciate comments to help me plan. So please do not hesitate staying there. If I can relay anything to travelers to this area it is to avoid a jewelry shop called the Mayan Legacy , and their affiliated stores. We where totally swindled by a man who calls himself Charlie Brown and his " cousins". We purchased two rings that where supposed to be white sapphire, platinum and gold with diamonds. Upon returning home the rings started to turn black and our local jeweller told us they where basically worthless.

The store that Charlie has is on Constituyentes avenue one block west of the royal property. His cousin's store where the purchase was made was one block North of that location at the corner of fifth avenue. the official address from the receipt is

The Mayan Legacy Jewelry shop
calle 20, mza 63, lte.6
entre av. 1 y av. 5 col. centro
Playa del Carmen

If you see this store or any store using the name as they told us they had many stores, avoid at all costs.
This will not taint my opinion of the Mayan Riviera or of the Royal. But if I can help someone else from being swindled, I would like to do that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank teqboy
Toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I haven't visited many AI resorts, so really can't compare this to others. However, the resort is lovely, spectacularly clean and the beach is very nice. The staff in the restaurants and bars and housekeeping are all incredibly friendly and helpful (more on that below). A special shout out to Jorges who always treated our teenagers really well each morning at breakfast in Spice, even though they never carried any tip money it didn't matter - he was exceptionally friendly and helpful to them. The hotel location is great - really loved being able to walk out the front door to 5th avenue.

We didn't go expecting 5 star dining - the food was pretty good and plentiful. Our favourite was the tapas bar (amazing fish tacos). We had dinner at all the restaurants and had the nicest one at Maria Marie.

I have a few "however" comments. The second one may have more to do with the tour company and not the hotel but it is worth mentioning for others to know.

1) The resort is adults only - 16+. Our two teens did find it a little dull at times and might have been happier to have more kids their own age around. That's not the hotel's fault but good to know if you are considering this for teens.

2) When I booked the trip, we were told that because the teens were not adults, we all had to share the room as a quad. I found that a bit odd but agreed assuming the room would be big enough to accommodate. We were told we would have two king sized beds. When we got there the hotel was confused that we did not have two rooms, but again assured us two king sized beds upon check in. We were shown our room - two double beds. We asked repeatedly over the first day or two what they could do and it was more or less a shrug and the response was we do not have rooms with two king sized beds. If you are an adults only resort, you have to know that the four people in a room will be adult sized and will need more than double beds to share. Also for four people in a room there simply weren't enough hooks for wet towels or space to store clothes etc. This is really just a warning for anyone considering this for a family holiday with teens.

3) I mentioned the staff was helpful and friendly. Oddly it was the front desk staff who were the least friendly of all the many lovely staff members we met.

4) Making restaurant reservations is a bit of an inefficient process - or maybe it was just the person working at the desk that day.

I would consider coming here again as a couple, or with other couples but not as a family with teens.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Howeso
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The personal customer service and attention given to my wife and I daily was well appreciated. The greetings, smiles, and friendliness given to us by Elisabeth (cabana/poolside), Maggy (lobby area/coffee house), and Joana (lobby area) were very gracious. They are to be commended....!!!

In addition, the food at SPICE was excellent and always provided a very nice assortment of entrees, sides, and desserts. The overall feel at The Royal was warming and the shows were icing on the cake. Great work cast....!

The main courtyard and gazebo walkway was always immaculate and well groomed. Even enjoyed the daily Iguana sightings. The rooms were kept very clean.

The shopping outside the resort (5th Avenue) and all the other things to do we're fun and very safe. (Senior'Frogs, Fish Spa, Coco Bongo, etc.)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 516 which was a walkout beach ocean front room with personal cabana. Got to see th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David-Becky T
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at this resort and had a great time. The sports and entertainment team was out of this world. The shows and events each night were first class. The food was wonderful and there were lots of choices. The pool activities were alot of fun. Victor, Azu, Jesus, and Danny all made every guest feel welcomed and right at home. Would definitely go back...

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends