“Fun for everyone....”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at this resort and had a great time. The sports and entertainment team was out of this world. The shows and events each night were first class. The food was wonderful and there were lots of choices. The pool activities were alot of fun. Victor, Azu, Jesus, and Danny all made every guest feel welcomed and right at home. Would definitely go back...

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gail G
Write a ReviewReviews (16,877)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Royal Playa del Carmen is an immaculate, and amazing resort. The people are so friendly, welcoming and seem so happy to be part of The Royal community-it looks as though they actually mean their special "greeting". They actually "greet" one another with it!!!
The rooms are huge, very clean and comfortable.
The food is the best I've ever had anywhere-I've been to Dreams, Barcelos, Rius, Gala, Iberostars....none of them compare to the food and drink quality as The Royal-it was like having a gourmet meal every meal. I can be quite particular about food and drinks that I pay big money for- it was not an issue at The Royal. The restaurants also offered a delightful variety, and every meal was served with an excellent presentation!
Issues were resolved within minutes (a faulty room safe was replaced by a new one within 20 minutes).
We upgraded our room to one of the swim-up pools room-just because!!!! It was the BEST move-quiet, away from the ocean winds and sand, easy access to cool water right out the patio doors, bar service, listening to music from the provided Bose Sound Dock, swimming laps without being interrupted, close to the personal amenities your room provides...
The location of The Royal is ideal as it is so close to the "5th Avenue"-smack dab in the middle of it.
Do NOT believe any negative comments about this resort. This resort is BEAUTIFUL, RELAXING, and the people are very ACCOMODATING!
Notice I did not rate "Children's Activities": NO KIDS there-that was awesome!!!!!!!
I could mention memorable people that made my stay so enjoyable, but I'm afraid I might miss some.....oh, what the hell: Jeronimo, Carlos, Lopez, Azu, Eva, Abraham, Sergio, Rebeca, Rafael, Iscla, Fabian, Rigo, Tobon, Mukul, Armando, ... ... ...

4  Thank LeO_On_the_cusp_28
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our party of four--stayed from March 4 through March 9th. The staff were the nicest people we have encountered in all our travels (including Four Seasons Facilities). To single out a few would not be fair to the others--all were great--at all the eating facilities. The food was very good (remember, the food is Caribian style). Drinks were great. Your every need, wish desire is fulfilled----One could not wish for anything other than a pot of GOLD. The facility is maintained to perfection ----if there is a mark on the wall is it gone within hours---no trash--no empty glasses left around----it is run 100% tops--
The massage was great---My spa massage was given by MELISSA ---what a pleasant person--music --overall atmosphere was tops--My friend had Jessica--same results--Great.

One thing to remember---u are in Mexico---u are accustomed to the US---with that said---

THE ROYAL AT PLAYA DEL CARMEN EXCEEDED OUT EXPECTATIONS-----If u are not pleased with the facility--- u can never be pleased----one can always find fault---

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool ---during the day it is noisy---lot of planned activity at the pool---music...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Louiedog1
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned from one week at the Royal, March 9 - 16, 2013. The weather was the only thing that was not too great. Most days, cloudy with sun, one day of rain but much better than what we came home to -2C.

The location was amazing. Steps to 5th Avenue and steps to the ocean. The rooms were spacious, we had a Oceanview, Junior Suite, room 336. Great view. We did the online checkin 48 hours prior to arrival and got the room we reserved. Thank you

The staff are so kind, accommodating and friendly. They made you truly feel like they were happy you were having a good time.

Great welcome from Maria and Willie. That was a great way to start our vacation. They were very welcoming and informative.

The sports and entertainment staff were excellent. Very engaging, but not "in your face". Viktor, Katie, Azul (sp) and the rest of the staff worked very hard and they all seemed like they enjoyed working with each other and all the guests. Each day they would stop by for a chat.

It is true, premium liquour at all bar locations. Drinks were well made and not watered down.

The restaurants were good. Their food presentations were so creative and, in our experience, very tasty. We really enjoyed Spice for breakfast, Pelicanos for lunch, and Maria Marie for dinner.

The beach in front of the Royal was much nicer, no seaweed, as was found around the other locations just down the beach.

The only two complaints, as I have ready in many other reviews, is the cold pool by the swim-up bar and no shade anywhere by the pool. The owners need to listen to our suggestions and provide umbrellas or heat the pool--somehow??? Other than that, we had no complaints. I did write both those suggestions on the exit questionnaire--as did other people I spoke with.

Thank you to everyone at the Royal Playa Del Carmen.

Room Tip: We had room 336, a corner suite, on an angle, great view of the pool and ocena. Not noisey and fun...
2  Thank maryPuntaCana
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Another wonderful stay at the Royal. We were there during Spring Break and there were no "breakers" there. Just the right amount of activities and music around the pool. The entertainment team was as personable as always. Same crew that was there last fall. Lots of fun...get to know Katie, Azu and Danny. They will make you feel very special and part of the Real family. Alejandro and Mayer were excellent hosts on our Coco Bongo night. The shows in the lobby at night were great. The Decades show (Friday) is a must see. The bands before the show are excellent. Really enjoyed the variation from American to Spainish music. The food is great and so many choices. Don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: Use the on line check in to pick your room. You must be in an oceanview or above to be eligible. I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jeanne S
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There were things I really enjoyed about this hotel and things I didn't like at all, but overall it was a good experience. I'll start with the good (there's much more good, than bad)!

1. The entire hotel (room, pool, grounds, lobby) was very pretty, kept up nicely & very clean.
2. The staff was extremely polite, helpful, & did not seem to expect tips (Actually, we were very surprised at how few people left tips). They also weren't overly pushy on trying to sell tours. (They will urge you to attend the timeshare breakfast...we chose to suffer through it, even though we warned them that we had zero intention of buying anything, because they gave us 1000 pesos which more or less paid for one of us to go snorkeling).
3. There seemed to be a lot of staff serving drinks at the pool & on the beach as fast as they could.
4. The hotel has nightly shows, & a staff that works hard to keep people entertained (even when it rained). The Elements show on Monday nights is like a mini circ de soleil & was my favorite. They had a Mexican Fiesta on Thursday night which looked really amazing, but we didn't actually get to attend, so I can't say for sure if the food or entertainment was good, but the set up was beautiful! The other days there was a band and some dance shows. The band sounded good, but it would have been nice if they played more American or English music.
5. The hotel is located right in the middle of downtown Playa del Carmen so there are a ton of shops & restaurants literally just a block away. The area felt very safe and was really cute. The hotel also offers daily bike tours of the downtown area, but you have to sign up and a hotel staff member goes with you. We would have liked to be able to just go on our own.
6. We were on our honeymoon, and the the staff brought us a bottle of champagne, cake, and moved our two double beds together to make a king.
7. The gym was pretty nice and they had Pilates and spin classes. You just have to sign up for them classes because space is very limited.
8. Room service was pretty darn fast (like ten minutes). The room service menu that is located in the room is pretty limited, but we found out that you could order other stuff that wasn't on the menu so you might want to ask.

Some of things I didn't like...
1. The staff always seemed to be running around frantically at lunch and dinner, but service was actually quite slow. I ate lunch by myself one day, because my husband was sick, & felt really ignored. People who were seated way after me were served first and attended to, and I felt like I didn't exist.
2. Overall, the food was just ok. The buffet at Spice was really not very good at all. I liked Asiana the best, but we only ate there once. My husband preferred Pelicanos (best part of this was that it was down by the beach). The tres leches cake (only served at lunch) at Pelicanos is super yummy! Il Pescatore, which is actually at the hotel next door but is part of the same resort chain, was also pretty good. We were not impressed at all with Maria Marie which is one of the fancier restaurants that you needed reservations for. My husband did become violently ill for about a day and a half with a fever, nausea and other stomach problems...I would hate to blame this on the hotel or the food, but he is absolutely never ever sick, so just be careful about what you eat.
3. The main pool is very loud during the day. This is great if you want to party, but the sound quality of the music/base bouncing off the buildings was pretty bad. They had a band one afternoon, that played fun music, but did not sound good at all. They also had strange contests, and I sort of felt like I was on MTVs spring break. I can imagine this might be annoying if your room was right next to the pool and you wanted to nap. There is a small quiet pool located away from all of the action. The other thing I didn't love about the pool was that people would save chairs by 7:00 in the morning, but then wouldn't show up until 2:00pm. It was kind of frustrating when all of the best chairs were marked with towels and sandals (even though we got there right after breakfast and might have actually been the first people at the pool), but then the tenants of those chairs weren't using them most of the day. I'm not really sure how the hotel could prevent this
4. We could hear the band playing from our room at night because it was so loud. We weren't even that close to the lobby where the band was located. It was just really loud. Not super romantic.
5. The beach was very pretty, but you have to watch out for coral/rocks so there are only limited places where you can actually swim. However, this was not just at the Royal. After walking down the beach, we could see that the coral was everywhere and must just be a general problem in Playa (I don't recall the beaches in Cancun having any coral at all).
6. There is construction on one side of the hotel. This wasn't a problem for us, and I don't think any balconies faced that way (just the door to the room). If your room is over there, it could be loud.
7. The fire alarms were going off for quite a while one day, and the power went out twice...one afternoon it was out for at least an hour. It never bothered us, and the alarms weren't actually going off in the rooms, but I can see how this could have been a problem for some people.

Other thoughts/tips...
I would definitely wait until the summer to go. It was only about 75 degrees Fahrenheit daily, which made for some cold swimming. Very few people got in the pool.

The hotel was really great, but if you want quiet, then this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: If you can afford, get a room with a private pool! They looked amazing. Watch out for rooms near t...
2  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Great people, facilities, food, nature...
There aren't a lot of Mexican clients which is sad, cause its am awesome place!
If you come please know in advance about mexican food and culture that way you know what to expect!
Great concept Hacienda, tequileria club... Unlimited drinks from Gray goose to Don Julio to J. Walker black...

• Stayed: March 2013