“Great Cabin Fever Getaway”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #11 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Cabin Fever Getaway”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for week in mid January this large group. Wonderful place to stay! Awesome staff!!! There is something for everyone, perfect for a group. They have multiple pools, the large one has music and various activities. There is a smaller one that has a quieter more relaxed atmosphere. And of course, there is the ocean right there.
I didn't have a bad meal and they have a nice variety. I didn't go to two of the restaurants. The Chef's Plate, there they have a preset by the chef menu each night and the Marie Marie which I kept forgetting about.
Another plus is The Royal is in town. If you want to go off the property no problem. The shopping area is a block away, 5th ave. Side note: two Starbucks, one a few blocks each way on 5th.
Only three "complaints". More like minor infractions. One: the coffee drinks i.e. cappuccinos and such are pre-blends from a vending machine-esque. No espresso machines like at a coffee house. Two: I had some little bugs that would go for the chocolates left from turn down service. My bad because I kept forgetting to mention it to the staff. On the bright side they only got one nights chocolates. I beat them to it all the other nights... The last is they everyday were put the hammock away. As I said these were my only nit-pick complaints.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank S A M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,213)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our first visit to The Royal in Playa and it was amazing!! We wanted for nothing!! The staff was awesome! I had a relaxing massage from Lucelly; she was so nice. Katie and the activities crew were so upbeat. Katie took extra time to make sure we were having fun and she was always so happy. Ivonne the Beach Butler was so engaging; what a great personality. We loved her! We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and Chef Fabian, Waiter Emir and Carlos from Maria Marie gave us the most incredible service and treated us like royalty making special menu items for the occasion... Thanks Guys... You're the best! The Concierge service was great - Charon made us feel welcome the moment we arrived; Eudys helped us with all our needs for our entire stay - We can't thank you enough. Andrea and Celia were our servers by the pool. They always had suggestions for refreshing drinks and provided great service - Thanks ladies! Paco & Cumacho from the Mediterranean provided great service as did Aden and David from Spice. We also enjoyed IlPescatore Italian restaurant and the great service from Filiberto. The entire staff was so friendly! Our room was always very clean as was the entire resort. Thanks to the entire staff for making our stay memorable... We'll be back!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Robin A
Sidney, Iowa USA
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Royal (2/10-2/16). I really struggled to see any negatives about this resort. We were helped to our room by William. A tremendous young man who took pride in his job. Prude was our waitress on the beach and kept cool drinks and a big smile coming all week. We had the beach side dinner, very much worth a little extra money. Our waiter was Ahmed. He did a great job! We had a wedding vows renewal at the gazebo. Lele was our coordinator and I can't imagine anyone who could be better at her job than her. We had a photographer there from the Grand Porto. He took some stunning beach shots at sunset! My bottom line thoughts... On the plane ride home, we were discussing what dates to book for next year at the Royal. No need to look any further for another resort option!

Room Tip: The swim up suites are perfect!
4 Thank John_LSidney_IowaUSA
WINNIPEG
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed two weeks at The Royal Playa del Carmen and experienced a most wonderful vacation. Although we have been in various all-inclusive resorts in Mexico in prior years, this was our first stay at this hotel (on the high recommendation of our travel agent and a couple of acquaintances who had visited there a few months earlier). Overall, everything about the hotel exceeded our expectations. We had reserved an ocean-front junior suite. The room was spacious, well-furnished, well-supplied with bathroom and grooming amenities, and had a nice-sized balcony. The view from the room/balcony was spectacular (postcard picture-perfect).
We found the staff to be a little reserved at first (not surprised at this given the number of people they see come and go each week), but they opened up and became quite friendly within a couple of days from the start of our stay. Service from the staff was excellent, whether it was in the restaurants, on the beach, from housekeeping and maintenance, front desk, the concierges, or the sports and entertainment staff.
Our thanks go to the many restaurant servers, chefs, and managers including Oscar, Marco, Francisco, Emir, Gerardo, Luis, Chef Pastor, and others who attended to us and ensured that we were served some of the finest meals we have ever eaten; to the Beach Butlers and our servers on the beach (Ruth, Michel [Miguel], and others) who made sure that our drink wishes were fulfilled, to the housekeeping staff who kept our room in tip-top shape and always welcomed us back with some fancy prop/design “sculptured” from towels and rose petals, and to the sports and entertainment staff (Amado, Danny, Jesus, Katie, Victor, and others) who helped organize events, prompted persons to participate, and ensured we all had a good time. And to Juan, one of the bellhops, who looked after us on our departure from the hotel, not only ensuring that our luggage was well-attended to, but also who showed concern and followed-through when the van scheduled to pick us up to go to the airport was running late.
Kudos as well to the evening show performers --- a group of exceptional young people very adept at dance and acrobatics who performed night-after-night in different spectacles (sometimes taking big risks in the acrobatics), and who never showed any signs of tiredness (although they performed 2 shows every night, back-to-back, at two different venues).
We were impressed by the “operations” of this hotel --- a large complex with multifaceted hour-by-hour “logistics” to attend to (e.g., the number of concurrent events that had to be set up and carried through), appearances of being very efficiently-run, and where one cannot help but observe how hard the staff work at their respective jobs.
Some suggestions for the future: more vegetarian dishes on the restaurant menus; no towels or other objects allowed before 6 a.m. to reserve poolside chairs; and, air conditioner and TV should be operational in gym at 6 a.m. when the gym opens.
We definitely plan on returning to this resort for a future vacation.

4 Thank 683John
DENVER COLORADO
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at The Royal four nights starting February 13,2013. My only regret is that we did not stay longer. The resort is beautiful, starting from the personalized check in service with a glass of champagne.. ok not from the Champagne area, but still nice sparkling wine. The food was excellent at all the restaurants. Buffet at Spice had a great variety of tasty food and desserts. Maria Marie was intimate, service impeccable and food superb! They have a restaurant that costs additional - Chef's Plate that we did not visit, but was told by others at the property that it is worth the price. We did pay for the Valentines dinner on the beach, the ambience was special and romantic, the jazz players were good, the food was just ok, really my least favorite of all the dinners there... but it was Valentines and we loved eating out on the sand surrounded by lovely music. Their staff is wonderful, kind and attentive. 24 Hour room service goes out of their way to provide you with your request even though it's not on the menu. We had an upgrade oceanview suite on the 4th floor.. not by the pool which tends to be loud during the day.. avoid this is you prefer a more quiet setting. The only drawback of the trip was they convinced me to attend a "loyalty club" meeting...turned out to be a timeshare pitch.. almost 2.5 hours wasted.. I would not have attended if I had known. I specifically asked the girl if this was a vacation ownership or timeshare presentation I was not interested. They did give us $90 USD credit on our bill that could be used for excursions, spa services, meals etc... and a 3 night 4 day future stay.. the future stay does not include all inclusive, that was not stated -rather implied and disappointing. But if you are up for it and interested, then go for it. The beach is very nice, great chairs and beverage service. Their liquor is all top shelf, good stuff.... We had a blast and will definitely be back... oh.,. and the location is a couple of blocks from shopping and evening entertainment. We went dancing at Blue Parrot until 2am... and at that time the dance floor was getting more crowded, people sure like to party in Playa. My last remark is loved that it was adults only.. we have two kids but it was nice for us to get away to an adults only property.

Room Tip: Suggest ocean view, but not by the poolside unless you don't mind the noise during the day. I m...
1 Thank ELICASTLE09
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at The Royal with my spouse. Although we have traveled extensively, this was our first experience with an all inclusive. We booked at The Royal based on a recommendation from a friend who does an AI every year. Didn't bother researching other options b/c I liked the benefit of being within walking distance to 5th avenue. My main concern was being bored and needing to find something to do (I can't lay around the pool all day).

The Rooms.
The rooms were very spacious and beautiful. I thought they were bigger than what they look like in the website photos. Robes and slippers provided. They are kept immaculately clean and well stocked. (Thank you Maria Leticia, 2nd shift) They allow you to select your pillow preference and housekeeping time. We booked an ocean view suite. I felt like this was a bit misleading. Yes, you can see the ocean, but it's not a very good view and you'll have to strain your neck a bit. But what you ARE getting with the extra money, is the opportunity to NOT have to see/hear the loud, drunk people at the pool. At times, this kind of felt like Spring Break for adults. The other slight disappointment is that there is not a big enough table on the balcony to take your room service outside. I had read about the "magic boxes", but for whatever reason, they didn't use this system. (We had friends staying there and they even hung their "do not disturb" sign up and they still knocked on the door to deliver room service) The room service itself was excellent, however, and prompt dish pick up afterwards.

The Pools.
I don't usually comment much on the pools, but it seems some people find it important, so here you go. There are 2 large main pools that most people utilize and a smaller, "quiet pool" in a different area. My friend went out early each morning to "reserve" our chairs, so no problems there, but I thought I saw others searching for desirable seating. All the beach towels you want!! Loved this! The pool service is pretty good (we liked Christopher with the 1000 kilowat smile). The bartenders at Tradewinds were always SO friendly. We usually tipped, but certainly didn't feel like we had to. The drinks were pretty sugary and watered down, but I gather you should expect this from an AI. The water was pretty cold in one pool, maybe a few degrees warmer in the other. Overall, I felt like everything was very convenient and layed out well.

The Food.
One of the things everyone mentions about The Royal is the food. We agreed, the food was excellent. My favorite meal was at Maria Marie's. It was my husband's birthday and they brought him out a special desert and sang for him. (Thanks!) The only meal I didn't like was at Pescatora's, at the sister property across the street. I probably just ordered the wrong thing - pork tenderloins - very hard and bit into chunks of grizzle. The service and food presentation was excellent at every restaurant we tried. Plenty of seating, didn't have to wait once. Even at the places that required reservations, it looked as though you could be accomodated as a walk in.

The Actvities.
As mentioned earlier, I need plenty of activities! I can only handle laying poolside for a short time before getting extremely bored. I liked that they give you a schedule with something to do pretty much every hour! I used the gym each morning (not huge, but adequate). Water and a few towels provided, your standard machings - treadmills, elipticals, resistance machines, a few free weights, etc. They did offer some pilates & spin classes (did not do). I also took advantage of the stretching class in the morning - enjoyed the calm atmosphere by the beach. (Thanks Katie) We also did the bike tour one morning. Fun and easy, plus we enjoyed the energy of our guides: Jesus and Danny Boy. The shows put on each night are a nice way to wind down your evening and enjoy a few drinks. As mentioned earlier, you are walking distance from 5th avenue if you want to get out of the hotel for a while and see the city. We also took advantage of the spa one day. We were able to book a couples massage for the same day with a few options for times. Nice, nothing out of the ordinary.

The Service.
Hands down, the BEST thing about The Royal was the service. Out of this world! I swear there are as many employees as there are guests. There is someone to help you around every corner. The place is kept spotless. I couldn't find plantains one morning at the breakfast buffett. No less than 4 people tried to help me - even as I tried to dismiss them as I had moved on from trying to find them. One problem was, I didn't know the Spanish word for plantains and tried to describe them as "little bananas". After I had sat down to eat, a small crowd of the people trying to help me came up with a banana on a plate and asked me how I wanted it prepared! Haha. They guessed what I was after and taught me the Spanish word for plantains. Didn't need it thereafter b/c they were always on the buffett after that first day.

Overall, great experience and I would definately recommend The Royal to playa riveria travelers. You may have noticed several reviewers dropping employee names (myself included). This is a very big deal to them. It's how employees get not only recognition, but I was told in some cases how they keep thier jobs. No, they don't come out and ask you to do it, but you can definately pick up that positive feedback is the name of the game. With the outstanding service provided, it seems to be working for them!

5 Thank BandN129
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We received the Royal treatment from the time we arrived. The staff were very attentive and made sure you were informed about all the features of the resort as new guests. I would say the meals were at the highest level you could expect at a resort of this size. The Buffet at Spice was good all day but I would recommend the Mediterranean for breakfast as it was a by far a quitter more relaxing place to start your day. The Maria Maria restaurant was my favorite A la carte as the food quality and service was outstanding. The room we had was over looking the pool and center court yard and was an excellent location. I would recommend staying here at the Royal play a del Carmen but only if you like to be pampered by a great group of people. Service, Service, Service !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: any center court location if you want to be part of the action.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends