“Awesome Honeymoon!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #10 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

To start off I must say that I read almost all of the reviews for this hotel prior to experiencing it for myself. I was a little hesitant but was excited at the same time. The on line check in was amazing and the the room was just as the pictures we saw when we picked it out. We were located in the main building just off the Lobby. The room was opulent. The room did have a slight odor but nothing to be concerned with. The toiletries provided were nice( we could have packed far less if we had known in advance all they provide) The room service was amazing regardless of what time we called and they were always prompt and polite. The maids were very through but sometimes inconsistent in their cleaning times( as we were on our honeymoon) it was no big deal. The pools and the property was always kept very nice and tidy. The beach was beautiful.I have to give prompts to all of the the beach servers. I think they have the hardest job in the place and deserve the best tips. We did tip them and it paid off. The entertain ment staff and shows were entertaining as well. The bars were just as most of the other reviewers stated. If you ask for top shelf you got it and if not you did'nt but the drinks were good none the less.the bar tending staff were friendly and eager to suggest different drinks or local beers. The Food. I am a self proclaimed foodie. Disclaimer: We are not in the USA do not expect things to taste just the same. They try their best to reproduce american cuisine but in the end its their take on it not what we have at here. I thought that the food was good. If I ordered something and didnt like it I would just order something different. I thought the buffets for breakfast and lunch were better than standard buffet fare. We ate at all of the eating places and they were all good but pelicanos and Maria Marie were our favorites. Both had really good steaks( with their on interpretation). The proximity to the town was awesome as well. It took us a day or two to get used to the police presence but once we realized they were there for our safety it was fine. 5th ave was beautiful. We walked up and down it several times. We did not venture out on any excursions as it was our honeymoon and we wanted to relax but there were several good options. Over all it was a fabulous experience and I would go back in a heart beat.This was our first all inclusive resort but I have been on Many cruises and for the value all inclusive is the way to go.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank HDMDAD

Reviewed February 16, 2013

You should definitely try The Royal. You will have a relaxing vacation -- your biggest decision of the day is deciding where to have dinner. It is exactly what you need when you have been working too many hours, leaving and arriving home in the dark, and putting up with bad weather. It is the perfect place to thaw out and have fun with others who are doing the same!

This was our seventh year in a row for vacationing at The Royal. We do not own a timeshare -- we just really love the place!

We were greeted at the door by Gerardo, who immediately had our bags and ushered us in. The check-in process appears to have been streamlined even more and was painless. The hotel was very full during our visit, but the staff always delivered outstanding service.

This is the cleanest hotel I've ever been in, and I am picky. There are tons of activities available or just a quiet cabana on the beach if you want to simply relax. The food is outstanding -- I have never had a bad meal.

We eat breakfast every morning in Spice, the buffet restaurant, so that we can sample the many offerings. The Mexican breakfast items are a treat, as is the coffee. Best in the world. I could sit there and drink it all day. Despite being a buffet, you will be waited on hand and foot. Selma, Oscar, Antonio, Jorge and Jose Garcia gave us outstanding service this year!!

All of the dinner options are wonderful, but our favorite is Maria Marie's. You will not be disappointed! They have expanded the menu and have an even more wonderful selection of entrees. Beautiful presentation and the opportunity to try new things. We ate there three of seven nights and Antonio, Juan and Geraldo made sure we were well taken care of!

We are fairly active when we vacation, and my husband played beach volleyball twice a day, with Danny and Amato of the sports staff leading the way. It's a great way to get some exercise and meet people from all over the world. I always head for the gym to take the spin classes and workout on the Pilates reformers. The instructors, Regina and Edith, have been at The Royal for a number of years and I always look forward to seeing them and catching up on what's new. They are very professional and also a lot of fun.

Last year was the first time we got massages at the Spa and they were fantastic. Much better than any we get here at home. We were able to request Evelia and Nany again this year -- be sure to ask for them!

Room Tip: They now offer first floor rooms with private pool areas. Go for it! We always stay in a room faci...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BeachLover4257
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As usual, our stay at the Royal was incredible... The combination of white sand, beautiful green and blue water, outstanding service and staff, fine dining, entertainment, and history makes this a destination that we will likely visit for years to come. My wife and I consider this our home away from home.

The staff at the Royal is perhaps the best I've every experienced in all of our travels. They will do anything that is possible to make your stay there as enjoyable and memorable as possible. The front desk, the bartendars, the housekeeping crew, the entertainment staff and the waiters at the resort resteraunts seemingly know you by name and treat you as if you are family. They absolutely go out of their way to exceed expectations.

I want to mention specific names that made our trip this year as memorable as the first two. Erick Perez is a manager at the resort... Every time he saw us he stopped to speak with us, asked us if we needed anything, and alway delivered on our requested for my wife and me and my 19 year old that visited the resort with us for the first time. The bartenders (Luis and Miguel) have been there every year and amazingly remember us from year to year and treat us like we've never left. The entertainment group this year took care of all of us this year, showed us around town, and made arrangement for all of us to get special treatment at many of the the nightclubs downtown. It very much made the trip, especially for my daughter and her friend. I truly believe that she will never forget this trip.

The Royal is a place that you really have to try. Not only is the service, the food, and accommodations absolutely the top of the line (5 start), it is centralized near the town of Playa Del Carmen, such that there are tons of things to do within a very short walk. It allows you to stay in luxury in a beautiful resort and quickly and safely leave the resort to either go to modern clubs and shopping areas or dine at an authentic mexican restaurant and to do so in 10 minutes or less. There is no place in Mexico that I can think of that is comparable.

We'll be back in 2013 for the 4th straight year.

Room Tip: There are many types of suites at the Royal... All are excellent value but I would strongly recommne...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BillB101
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just returned on Feb. 14th from a dream vacation. This resort not only met our expectations but exceeded in many categories. All of the restaurants were superb. The attention to detail on the presentation and quality of the food at this resort is by far the best we have ever encountered. We consider it to be world class. The Chef's are all to be commended. I hope they know how much they were appreciated.
Our room was great, and the cleanliness of the resort is overall, the best. Florentine Luna, you made sure that our room was attended to in a 5 star fashion, and we truly appreciated everything. The towel art was outstanding, and every day I looked forward to getting back to my room to see what you had created for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. If there was something that needed to be fixed (i.e. lights) it was done immediately. The maintenance staff was excellent.
The staff were so efficient and friendly, it is hard to single out anyone, as we did not have one bad experience our whole two weeks, however, let me try. Mich was our beach waiter, and as well served us when we booked our reservation for lobster on the beach night. We were very fortunate to have had such a pleasant, efficient, hard working individual assist us with our needs. His friendly smile and greeting always made us feel so welcome.
Paco, Rebecca, David, Rigo, Ivonne, Markos, Alan, Luis, One, Prude, Ruth and so many more, sorry if we forgot your names. You all were wonderful, don't know how to thank you.
Don't forget to go to the coffee house. Not only does he serve the best coffee, he has a sense of humor that kept me on my toes. Thanks Ramero (hope I spelled your name right)
Our Rep from Best Day was Edgar, he was truly the best. Made sure that we booked trips that were suited to us, as he took the time to ensure that he knew what we were looking for and he truly cared that we got the most from our vacation.
If there was any negative, it is the cigar smoke. Where it is situated at, the breeze carried it into the Lobby/entertainment area at times, and for some of us this makes breathing difficult. Would be worth considering moving the location.
TOP NOTCH RESORT IN ALL ASPECTS. We will be back. Don't hesitate to book at this facility.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sandra Z
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Were do I start. This place is Simply Breath Taking. The staff made us feel like we were a king and queen. They are so helpful. The food and staff at resturants was simply out of this world. We had alot of fun with the staff every place we went, they were so friendly. As they were in the past. WE LOVE THIS PLACE. I would really like to Thank the staff the made this a great experience. Once again. Jose, Diana, Gerardo ( Gary), Ame, Joanna, Christopher, Prude, Francis, Maggie, Isruel, Maria Leticia, Mily, Enrique. Thanks to the crew of the fishing trip for putting us on the fish. Thanks to the Mediterran Resturant for perparing the fish we caught, " Holy Mackeral". That was Awesome. The Main lobby bar, Ame and Francis were always on top of any needs. The Tequila bar Quio and Joanna were amazing, TO MUCH TEQUILA. We were amazed on how everyone keep the resort so clean including our sutie. We are sure to be repeat customers, and bring more family and friends. Thanks again Royal. I'm already booking trip for next year. It was a very sad day to leave, see you all very soon.

Room Tip: People come and go all the time. So if not happy with the room choice, ask at front desk to, maybe g...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank SunSetBay_13
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have vacationed all over the Caribbean at various resorts over the past 14 years,and this resort, BY FAR, was the best! The best service, the best room amenities, the best beach, the best food, you name it, I can't say enough about this resort, WE LOVED IT! We upgraded to a beach front once we arrived and it's so worth it, the view was fantastic! Our parents upgraded to a beachfront swim up, and that was just to die for! We would return in a heartbeat, stayed for 10 days and didn't want to leave! We also used the Spa service and soooo relaxing, excellent! Easy access to 5th avenue was really cool, very safe, no issues there, we also took the ferry to Cozumel and rented a jeep to drive around the island. We've been to Cozumel a few times, so were very familiar with the island,and had a blast! So easy to get around! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Terri S
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Amazing staff. Super super friendly. A few road bumps with check in, however the hotel is normally booked 100% so I can understand . We originally booked requesting to be next to our friends who booked the same room category. Ended up on different sides of the resort ( same categories ). It turned out to be no big deal , it's small enough that we were only a minute or two at max walk. We booked a beachfront walk out, mainly bcs I wanted the use of a cabana but we only used it once . The chefs plate was worth the upgrade, but again only used that once. We were busy though bcs we went down with a group for a
Wedding. If I was to go again, I'd most likely go to chefs plate every night. Pelicanos breakfast wasn't that good, but the lunch was unreal!!! So tasty :) Our experience was the best that we had ever had at an all inclusive , even better than our Sandals experience. All the staff are SO friendly. I would go back in a heart beat, I wish we had had 2 weeks instead of 1. PS there is no eggs Benedict on the menus , however on our last morning we saw guests ordering it at the Mediterranean for breakfast and it was no problem. I wish we would had know earlier in the week! Enjoy your stay :)

• Stayed: February 2013