“Treated Like Royalty”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nassau Bay, Texas
“Treated Like Royalty”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

From the moment my husband and I arrived at The Royal we were catered to. Check in went smooth. We opted to upgrate our Jr. Suite to One bedroom. The front desk will offer an upgrade price then will offer a lower upgrade price so whole out. It was worth it. Room was impeccable, clean, plenty of drinks and snacks. Grounds, pools, beaches immaculate. All empolyees went above and beyond. We enjoyed the varity of resturants. The food was a nice bonus. Over all the Royal romantic, fun, relaxingand did I say romantic. The Royal sets the bar high. We will be back asap.

Room Tip: I read as may reviews to pick the right room for the price. I went with the jr. suite (random view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cemccollom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,243)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My friends and I stayed at The Royal in Playa del Carmen, Mexico a couple weeks ago and it was the BEST VACATION EVER! The main reason was because of the amazing Entertainment Staff!! Our favorites were Jesus, Azu, Carlos, Jorge, Katie and Danny. They truly made our vacation. They made sure we were having fun the entire time!
I would recommend The Royal to anyone interested!! A+

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MulfyBaby
Florida
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I signed up for a 6 day stay at this resort, which we did not choose as we were attending a wedding. All the marketing material looked great and I had no hesitations with stroking the check. Our trip started out well, including the fact that I had to fly in separately from my wife as I was on an extended business trip, and the Resort sent one of the Lincoln Navigators to pick me up. My arrival was easy as my wife already went through the hard part the previous day, including fighting off all of the sales people peddling various tours and timeshares.

Some of my first impressions: playa del Carmen is not nearly as secluded as Riviera Maya and located in a small town, this is a BIG resort, the sales people are annoying, the grounds are very well kept, the room is really nice and I need a drink.

The Room – we chose the beachfront suite as we really like to use our balcony in the mornings and evenings. We also somewhat like our privacy, which is why we chose beachfront. The room was clean and well-appointed and had a nice Jacuzzi tub facing out over the beach. There was no shortage of marble and granite, and the layout was very comfortable. There was Bose 3 piece audio system with an iPhone dock, so I could plug in my phone and play my own playlist on demand. The bed was VERY comfortable and I slept well over the course of the trip, with the exception of the rattling A/C unit that haunted us at night. The daily room service seemed to decline over the course of our stay, such as refills for the espresso machine stopped after one day, and the restocking of our mini fridge was elusive. We received turn down service only 3 of the 5 nights, not really sure what happened to the other 2 nights? On a more positive note, we did not hear our neighbors once, so we had that going for us. Now about the dynamics of the room location, it was beachfront on the 2nd floor (room 521). Beachfront means there is a pool, main walkway, 3 rows of beach cabanas, and 4 rows of pool chairs between our balcony and the beach. So every morning when I woke up, opened the blinds, opened the sliding glass door and stretched, I would open my eyes and see that 10 to 15 people would be staring at me – oops, I forgot to put on my pants. Then the balcony walls between the neighbors did not really exist, the first few feet was about 6 ft and then in went down to 3 ft, so if you sat on your balcony in your skivvies enjoying your espresso, eating breakfast and reading the paper, you were doing so with gawkers from the pool and the neighbors. Because of this, we really did not use the balcony at all, which is one of our favorites when on a beach vacation 

The Food – We ate breakfast from room service every day, Pelicanos, Tapas Pintxos, Spice, Asiana, the 24 hour snack room and El Mediterraneo. We tried to eat at Chefs Plate twice (included with our room) but they canceled our first reservation because we did not provide the room number, in a timely manner, of the other couple joining us and the other time they would not let us eat there as the chef has to know the reservations by 5:00 pm, and I was trying to make the reservation at 5:45 for that night. Oh well. The food at all the restaurants was OK, but you have to remember this is an all-inclusive, not a foodie heaven. Portions were small, service was slow, and they really do not like big parties. We were usually 10-16 strong each night, and we always had problems with being seated, let alone being serviced in a timely manner. But isn’t that what they make Tequila for? And on that thought of alcohol, you really had to get your own drink and watch the bartender pour it, or else you were not getting any alcohol in it. Pool service took about 30 minutes to get a drink after the servers took your order, so we just got our own drinks most of the time. At least that way we could talk the bartender into putting alcohol into them and give us the top shelf liquor instead of the wells.

The Inside (courtyard, pool and beach) – There is definitely a lot going on at this resort, with a lot of music and events. I can speak first hand to this as the wedding I attended had the reception setup in the grass courtyard by the big fountain. Not only was I at that wedding reception, there were another 100 rooms that were right there with us! We did not mind at all, but I am sure there were people that were not happy about that music and light party that was rocking their rooms. I had read about this in previous reviews, but I did not really get it…I get it now. The pool was definitely happening during the day with music and events, and that was my spot when I was there. There are many other quiet areas around the property for when you are in the relaxation mood. The beach was decent (I am from Siesta Key Florida, it is hard to impress me with a beach) and had a local’s vibe to it. The water is pretty but very rough; I wouldn’t go swimming in it as I wanted to make it home vertical. Surfers and body boarders were out there, which was fun to watch. The beach bed cabanas were great for an afternoon nap, and more private than the beachfront balcony hammock.

The Spa – I really enjoyed the spa, especially the steam/vapor room. The massage was just my excuse to spend an hour in the spa facilities. I went in there every morning to sweat it out and recharge for the day. Highly recommend, but resort prices.

My Advice – Would I stay here again, yes. If I were coming back with just my wife, I would get the beachfront suite again, if anything just for the Chef’s Plate inclusion. With a big group, I would get the cheapest room I could get. We did spend a lot of time in the Presidential Suite (306) and Master Suite (760), both which were very nice. If I got the Presidential Suite, I would not have left the room as everything you need is right there, including your own pool. If you want quiet time, especially on your balcony, get a room on the north side of the property (600’s and 700’s), which is firewalled from the active part of the resort with the pool and courtyard. Also, I personally would NOT get a first floor room, as you would have to keep your blinds closed the entire time. I would eat only at the Chef’s Plate, and I would venture out onto 5th avenue and stroll around the shops, take pictures with the spider monkey, and get something to eat at a local restaurant. You have to remember that this is an all-inclusive property, so the business is to sell high, provide impeccable service, and hope you consume less than you paid for; that is how they make money. If you want Ritz Carlton service and Ravenous Pig food, you have to pay for it separately. Nothing in life is free.

If you made it all the way down here, thanks for taking the time to read about my experience. At the end of the day, I would stroke the check again without hesitation, albeit with a few changes.

Much love.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank wholden
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have always stayed in four to five star resorts, but the ROYAL I would say is a seven if there is such a thing. We had a gorgeous comfy bed with rose petals and chocolates every night,
A full bar in our room Grey goose, Bombay,crown royal wines treats etc. you can order anything for room service I just made platters up and they sent it, We had a living room and dinning room.
Jacuzzi, Excellent entertainment, premium tequila bar, martini bar, cappuccino bar, at least 6 restaurants ALL excellent ,,,,only one needs reservations. Our own cabana boy who cleans our sun glasses while we soak up the sun, feeds you frozen grapes on a toothpick, and spritzes you when you too hot.
They also have a wine cellar that you can go help your self to a bottle, I never had the chance lol Too much going on. And we were just a few steps from 7th ave where the action is.
It is expensive,, trust me you are paying for what you get, but its all worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank youasked1970
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed November 22, 2012

While staying at The Royal in Playa del Carmen I took advantage of the spa services available at SPAzul. Being a full time stay at home mom of a two year old, I simply did not have the time to prepare for the trip by getiing a hair cut and a pedicure. Lupita and Dayana at SPAzul took care of me and I feel as though I was treated like a queen Thank You!

Room Tip: Beachfront walk out suites are the best. I highly recommend paying more these rooms if you are look...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank D B
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I'm writing this review while still here in suite 306 at the royal. We had our wedding here yesterday and it was even better than we thought it could be. From our couples massage by Nany and Melissa to the fantastic service we got from Roberto Palomegve and Maria Leticia. They were amazing and of course our wedding coordinator Zulma! This is our second time here and we recommend the Royal to everyone we talk to, our guests have been very happy with everything here too. 100% we will be back :-)

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Davidandanielle
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I came to the Royal to relax and forget about everything and I have! This is an all-inclusive that really means ALL!
The food is excellent, especially in Pelicanos, but I haven't tried all the restaurants yet. Room service has no surcharge, and though I didn't want to be bothered with the turn-down service in the evening, I'm now glad I did! Not just chocolates but rose petals and a oil infuser lit to scent the room. Of course, you have all the choices when you check in, (even down to the pillow type and scent of oil in the infuser), so try them. They have a "magic box" to put your dishes in when you're done, so the dirty ones don't sit in the hall, and they can get them without disturbing you. They also have a signal on the beach cabanas, for you to get the bar service to come. These ideas are original.
The staff are all friendly, cheerful, and professional in their duties. The dining staff know all the rules for service, and whenever you pass a staff member, they put their right hand over their heart as a kind of "salute of sincerity" if you will. Most endearing!
I splurged for a massage and manicure in the SpaAzul, (very reasonable prices, but not included in the price for the stay of course). My therapist, Lucy, found knots in my body I didn't know I had. Her expertise and experience beats all the massage therapists I've had in Canada (several). I also decided at the last minute to have acrylic nails rather than a regular manicure, and my esthetician Alicia, didn't blink and eye. Despite the language barrier (her English is better than my Spanish) she was warm, friendly and efficient at the same time.
This was my first trip to Mexico and I have to say I was a bit worried about safety, as a woman travelling alone. I felt safe and pampered enough in this resort to really relax (and the hammock on my patio was a big help, too!
I'm looking forward to my next trip here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo