New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Duluth, Minnesota
“Love, love, loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The service everywhere was amazing, the employees were all great, the hotel itself was gorgeous! I was there Nov 15-20 for my best friends wedding. The wedding was perfect, the reception was right on the beach and everything was planned out perfectly. Some of the employees that I thought were outstanding were Danny Boy (activities), Emilio (bartender), Alicia (hair dresser), Toto (bartender), Vicky (Pool waitress), and so many others. With most vacations, I'm usually ready to go home after a few days, but I most certainly did not want to leave this resort!

3 Thank DaniDazzle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,592)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the resort for our honeymoon. Although check in took longer than I would have liked everything else was perfect. We had a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. The room was fantastic! We were always well stocked on snacks and whatever drinks we requested. Room service was prompt and the staff was attentive and professional. We did the dinner on the beach, unfortunately it rained halfway through but the staff quickly moved us inside. The lobster was delicious, the whole meal was. We had dinner at Chefs Plate for the Italian menu and it was so so good. Asiana was one of our favorites, we went there twice. We both got massages one afternoon, i wish we had more time to get another one that week. I can not say enough about the staff, I wish I remembered everyone's names. However, Gerado (head concierge I believe) was always a welcoming face. He was able to answer any question that we had ( about the hotel, places to shop, etc ), he always remembered us and asked how we were and how things were going. He truly is the best! The one negative I have to say is that our room came with a cabana on the beach and they are identified with room numbers on them. The hotel should check once in awhile that the right people are in the right cabanas. One day we found our cabana was taken over by a couple didn't like theirs so they took other people's that were in "prime" spots. They eventually moved but seemed annoyed that we asked them.
We missed the Royal from the moment we stepped on the van to go to the hotel. We plan on going back in March with my parents, brother, and his wife - we can't wait!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Crystal S
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We traveled here with 7 other friends just last week and I knew it was going to be nice, but I was pleasantly surprised by many things. My wife, Beach Bum travel agent Lisa Zwissler, chose this resort for our group of friends because she knew it would fit the varied desires of our large group. What I didn't expect is that it would be so good at all of them.

Number one, the service was incredible. Armando, the doorman, shuttle expert and all around helper, was amazing, he knew our whole group by name and helped us many times. The food was absolutely amazing, I love Mexican food, and theirs was great, but the seafood, tapas, and even the steaks were incredible. One thing not to miss is Asiana. It has great sushi, Japanese and Thai food in a very cool atmosphere. The beach and spa were good, not the best I've been to, but very nice, same for the pool and swim up bars, not the best, but very good. The rooms were great, we had an awesome beach/pool view and it had a large balcony, very good for sitting out and reading in the evenings or getting room service for breakfast.

The one thing I really enjoyed that I didn't expect was the location. Playa del Carmen is a very metropolitan beachfront city with shops and entertainment right outside of the front door of the resort, my one regret is that we didn't spend more time checking it out. The tree lined, brick paved streets are perfect for walking around after dinner and grabbing a drink or checking out a band.

The only downsides in my mind were the lack of a proper coffeehouse on property, they use automatic machines for the lattes and cappucino's, and only two red wines are offered on the house and they are both Tempranillo. Both are small complaints.

This was a very fun vacation, we were there with a great group of friends and I can say with certainty that all nine of us had a great time and were very satisfied with the resort.

11 Thank James Z
Bossier City, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed at the Royal October 20th thru the 27th. Stayed in an ocean front room. The room was great, the food was great, and the service was great. This was our 6th stay at the Royal and it just keeps getting better. We'll be back in the spring.

I want to mention a few of the great employees. Nancy Perez Real Club Consierge who is a friend away from home, Alex Perez who makes sure you are happy around the pool and beach, Geraldo and Hector who bust their butts hauling luggage, "One" who works in the break room and always gives me a quick spanish lesson, Ramiro "Gimpy" in the coffee shop gives great service and deserves more tips.

Matt Owens

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MattBossierCity_LA
District Heights, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Myself and 8 other ladies traveled to Mexico for my birthday Nov 9-13 I must say the resort was beautiful. But the staff turned most of us off. We were there to have fun but were always told to be quiet and were being watched by security. We were the nice group of girls that had the saying "Naked on the beach". The food was good especially at Asiana. The drinks were weak and they advertised premium brands that they did not really have. Last call was at 11:45 p.m. every night. If you wanted more drinks or food you had to fix it yourself in the 24 all-inclusive lounge. There is no night life at this resort so if that's what you looking for it's not going to happen. The entertainment ended around 10:30 p.m. The tours that were offered were great and at a reasonable price.
As the birthday girl my room was not on the same side as all the others which was a disappointment.

The wait staff at Spice was great and the Lobby Bar. Thank you Jorge!!! He kept us happy with the tequila boom booms.

3 Thank Kita1177
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel rooms were very nice, clean, spacious but had a very long walk to the beach being its a big resort. They came and cleaned our rooms daily and had turn down service which was nice. There always seem, to be confusion in the lobby and it took some time to get your question asked. The pool was very nice but always crowded. Same with the beach. It was an OK experience and I did enjoy myself exploring other areas in Mexico but will keep to the smaller resorts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Dana N
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I have just completed a 14 day vacation at the Royal Playa Del Carmen Resort. We don't normally provide comments after vacationing, but this resort certainly warrants some positive feedback.
The location is perfect, and everything is within walking distance.
The beach area is excellent and always kept very clean. Drinks are served on the beach and the ocean is nice and warm.
The service in this resort is top notch and the food was certainly as good as we have experienced in many resorts in the Riviera Maya.
Check in was quick as we arrived at a fairly quiet time. We must commend the service and attention we received from Yendaly Pacheo. She is obviously very experienced in the hotel business, and went out of her way during the two weeks to make sure that our needs were taken care of.
The staff throughout the hotel are very courteous at all times and make you feel at home. The staff at the SPICE buffet were incredible. We have to mention special service from Eva, David, Arturo, Jeronimo and Ritchie and Freddie. Lena and Selma, the hostesses, always made sure you enjoyed their restaurant.
If the Royal is your choice, I would certainly recommend going the extra mile for an ocean front room, although many of the rooms do have great ocean views and some with walk outs to your own pool.
In the Royal Club, if you want to meet Miss personality plus, introduce yourself to Jocelin Barros. You'll see what we mean!
Pools are great with continued bar service and lots of seating available.
Our favourite a la carte restaurant out of five was Marie Marie.
Every day the temperature was 83 to 85 degrees.
We will be back next year without a doubt.
Thanks to all the staff for a great job in making our holiday superb. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 154943Sunshine
Lynn D, General Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to our beautiful resort and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to learn that we provided you with a superb vacation and that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you as well for mentioning the name of our staff that exceeded your expectations. We are looking forward welcoming you back to your home away from home THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.