“fantastic and relaxing hotel”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“fantastic and relaxing hotel”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

2nd time at the royal, still a great hotel and fab staff, very relaxing you dont have to join in with the activities if you dont want to. we had room 350, although we asked for 348 , rooms are all the same but some have bigger balconies and 350 has very small uncoverd one and no hammock .
we ate at all the resturants all were fantastic except Spice, we tried it twice and both times the food on the hot plates was luke warm and food should always be hot to kill off any germs, we ate lunch at pelicanos and got wonderful service special mention to Lucas and Manuel
everywhere was clean and the rooms spotless, its a shame they dont have more entertainment after the show finishes, you have to take a small walk up to 5th Ave for more bars with music,we are an couple in our early 60,s but we still like our music and fun , Coco Bongos was fabulous never think your to old had a great time there,
we were by the noisey pool both times and never found it bothered us at all, we are all there on holiday so you have to have some music and laughter ,would certainly reccomend this hotel to people, you would be hard pushed to find a better hotel at the same price

Room Tip: dont choose 350 or 351 as they have small balconies, and are uncoverd so cant sit out there if it ra...
4 Thank elizabeth d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,175)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2012

great trip. friendly staff. good drinks. huge variety of dining. very impressive overall. construction didn't bother us because we were up early and busy doing stuff. if ur going to stay in ur room till noon, u will be affected. danny, jorge, omar, asu and theresa were great entertainers. danny got us involved in tons of activities and is a really fun guy. u have to find him. capitan alberto from the maria marie restaurant was the best waiter. very entertaining and informative about tequila. u want good tequila, he's the man to see. breakfast at the spice was pretty good, more enjoyable by the hosts fabian and selma. dont bother spending the extra dollars on the chef's plate. but 30 bucks gets u a lobster tail for dinner is worth it. alejandro was our bell hop and he deserves a shoutout. don't listen to the bad reviews. we'll go again. thanks

Room Tip: we spent 350 dollars to upgrade to a pool room but didn't use the pool room. if you're goin...
4 Thank Kareem K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

After booking the Royal, I received a phone call from travel agent advising me that they had been advised that the hotel was undergoing a certain amount of refurbishment. They were unable to advise me what was happening but offered me the chance to change hotels.

Having taken a long time in deciding which hotel to book, I was a little worried that anything else would not meet my expectations. I looked through the travel brochures and went back into the travel agents where the advisor kindly phoned the hotel to find out the extent of the work.

I was advised that they were constructing a number of swim up rooms, redecorating the main lobby and also painting the outside of the hotel. I was told that they would try to give me a room as far away from the building works as possible and gave me the block numbers to avoid, should I be allocated one on check in. Having stayed at hotels in the past that have had building work, I was still a little concerned as to what to expect.

The Royal is one of the further hotels out, so the transfer takes a bit longer than I was advised, however I always think it’s quite nice to see what the other hotels in the area are like.

When we arrived at the hotel, I was very impressed with the lobby as we walked in. I was told when I booked that we would be greeted with a hot towel and a glass of Champaign, but alas thus didn't happen. However when we checked in I can say that things went very smoothly and I was quite taken back by the number of questions and different options I was given. What time would you like maid service? What time and what would you like for the turn down service? Oh and there is even a pillow menu! This was something that I had never experienced before.

We were taken to our room (229) and I can say that I wasn't disappointed in fact it was absolutely fantastic. The room was a great size with a massive double bed, spar bath, a dressing area with sink and a separate shower room with a sink.
The minibar was well stocked and even had optics in the room. There is even a free safe in the room. Everything has been built with luxury in mind. There was a bottle of wine in the room and a welcome letter from the hotel, which I thought was a nice touch.

We was told that they didn’t have a sea view room available, however when we went out on to the balcony if you looked to the left there was the sea. Their idea of a sea view is directly looking out over the ocean. Did I also mention that there was a hammock?

The staff at the hotel are amazing. That’s everyone from the cleaners and bar staff, to the reception staff and waiters, they treat you like royalty. I soon discovered that nothing was too much trouble for them. They all treat you with dignity and respect and really want to make your stay as good as possible.

On exploring the resort, we found the building work, which was on the completely the other side of the hotel and it didn’t look like guest where staying on that side.

All the restaurant served good quality food and there is something for everyone. Make sure you visit the restaurants in the sister hotel across the road. The Italian was my favourite. If you want something that isn’t on the menu just ask.

We booked through Thomas Cook and the Rep in the hotel was very informative and non-pushy which was a nice change.

On the transfer out, we were advised by everyone not to drink the tap water which I think is good advice. The water here has a funny aroma which you quickly accustom too but bathing and showering is all that you would want to do with it. The maid even put fresh bottles of water next to your toothbrush.

If you are planning any early morning trips, the room service is a must, be aware though that there will be mountains of food.

The outside area is very pleasant with plenty of seating areas. Around the pool area initially I sometime found it hard to find a lounger. I later discovered that people where just leaving the towels draped over the loungers waiting for a member of staff to collect them. So it’s always worth asking the person next to you if they are free.

The hotel is directly on the beach as well, where again there are plenty of loungers and cabanas.

As with all, all inclusive holidays, I find that the entertainment gets a bit repetitive and maybe not really my sort of thing. Every night there is a dance show and to be fair they are really good at what they do. Depending on weather they also have outside events, be it the white party or the Mayan night.

All the entertainment finishes about 10pm, personally I would prefer something that went on later. There is a 24hour snack bar where you can get food and drink around the clock though.

If you are looking for things to do whilst staying at the hotel I would recommend having a walk along 5th avenue. Be aware that people will try to entice you into their shops, but if you say no they will leave you alone.

I would also recommend a trip to COCO BONGO, one of the best nights that I had out in ages. Chichen Itza was a good day out if you like history and a ferry trip across to Cozmel was fun.

Where there any negatives about the Royal?
The only one that I had (and that’s not the entertainment because it’s my taste not a fault of the hotel) is that there was no shade around the pool area which means that you can easily get sun burnt if you are not careful.

WORD OF WARNING:
If you are travelling from the UK or Europe, be aware that the sun tan location that we have over here is different to the protection that you need in Mexico. I was advised the reason for my sun burn was that sun cream we have blocks your pores and doesn’t allow you to sweat. So buy your sun cream out there. It’s cheaper that you will pay in the UK especially if you have a walk down to Walmart.

5 Thank NJA_7
Gahanna, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2012

OK, it is hard to complain when you are in Mexico, drinking and eating, in the sun, with friends. The Royal is a beautiful place. The staff are amazing. Best I've seen. Food at the Asian was the best, spice nice breakfast and lunch. Pools are clean. Beach is OK. Tons of seaweed while we were there all over the beach, but beautiful water and nice cabana's.

Registering was a pain. Waited over 20 minutes and they were that busy. We also had to avoid and say no a bunch of times to the timeshare people. We were early, so they said to come back. We went and ate and had a few cocktails. Yum. We were supposed to get a king size bed and a no smoking room. We ended up with 2 twins. They moved us right away, but ended up in a smoking room. Ok, but if you don't smoke, you can still smell it.

Room was beaurtul though. Huge bathroom, wine, beer and liquor in room.
Here is my biggest complaint. Our room was on the top floor on the end. They were building right beside us, so our view was blue fencing. They also attached scaffolding to the side and above our room. We were awaken everyday at 7am to pounding and dropping of tools and material. Tried twice to get moved, but said there were no rooms available to us. That was frustrating as heck. When I did sit on patio, I had workers looking down at me. Look at the pics. Kind of disturbing. wish there was a spot for video. I have 2 videos of the sound and of the construction. lol

So besides the checkin and the rooms location. It was great. I'd only go again though if I knew that I was guaranteed a room not near construction. The bartenders are awesome and the staff, I just can't say enough about. Fantastic.

The only thing I would ask the Royal to do is put a bar on the beach. Kind of sucks to wait for drinks or have to walk back to pool to get a drink. Just a suggestion.

Room Tip: Quite pool area to the back right of resort is nice. Ocean view means you can see ocean if you bend...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Doug S
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Activity Staff at this resort were outstanding, friendly, funny, very attractive, helpful, polite and just
some of the nicest young people we have ever met. Katie, Omar, Asusanna, Danny and George.
These are the ones that should get reconition. All the staff at this resort were outstanding, kind,
friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Ava at the Spice Restaurant was very funny, a real
character, an overall nice, considerate human being. definitely would recomend this resort to all
our friends and would go back another time. Bud and Lynda

Room Tip: Ground level, near the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lynda M
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I have just recently got back from staying at The Royal in Playa del Carmen, the hotel was amazing, everything you could ask for they have thought of most things to make your stay special such as jacuzzi in your room, portable iPod docks and amazing room service (chicken consumme soup always went down a treat) The food is really good all al la carte from most of the restaurants but our favourite was the Italian restaurant with our favourite waiter Sergio Mendoza he was so friendly and always wanted to help and make sure you got the best service.
During the day we mainly chilled my the pool where you are served drinks by the waitresses (our lovely waitress Daisy always brought us our lovely mango daiquiris). Also go to the tequila bar they will teach you on what ones to drink and who to really drink them Mexican style. Overall staff are all really friendly and for an all inclusive holiday you could not ask for anything more and I certainly would return and recommend everyone to stay there if going to Mexico.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maria I
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had been looking forward to my return here since discovering The Royal in December 2008. At the time, I loved the combination of first class all-inclusive and the proximity to the "city life" of Playa.

On my return, I still liked that aspect, but saw a signfigant downturn.

First, the hotel is obviously marketing to a much younger crowd, and it is reflected in its prices. It was a 20-30ish hard drinking, rather unruly crowd by comparison to my first stop on this trip (Excellence in Puerto Morelos). At similar price points, the Royal badly underperformed in:
service, food quality, and pool/sun options. Because of the onver-built beach front, the accomadations run perpundicular to the beach, with the effects of "canyons" to walk between on your way to the beach and smallish pool. This also casts shadows, and few of the rooms have any kind of view. The beach itself is rather crowded and the chairs need upgrading for comfort. The pool? Wouldn't go in from all the drunekn humanity. Nor was there much roomto squeeze in.

I will give thumbs up to the Asiana restaurant. This was our saving grace. In fact, there is no reason to eat anywhere else. It was like this place was run by a different manager. Great service, food, and drink.

The others? Bordered on disappointing to disaster one night because of
the terrible service and average food.

I hope they rally. The basic concept is great. They really nned more pool and dining options, and to upgrade the overall experience.

Lou in Philly

Room Tip: Unless you upgrave (at considerable cost) there is no good view, because of the design.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple