“Best week of our lives!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I just spent our honeymoon at The Royal and had the most amazing vacation I could have ever imagined. I have travelled all over the world and stayed at numerous big resorts, but I have never had a staff go to the lengths that staff at The Royal did to make the trip special for us! Upon arrival, we were ushered into the romance concierge and given champagne and cocktails :) Charon, one of the romance concierges was amazing!! We just loved her! We were originally booked into one the the lower level suites, but to our surprise, were upgraded to the best room in the hotel!! Throughout the trip, every department of the hotel did something special for us at some point. The rooms were throughly cleaned twice a day at our specified times, room service was very quick and delicious, and every member of the staff was very friendly/helpful. We ate at all the restaurants on the property and never had a bad meal. Our favorite was Chefs Plate! I cannot say enough good things about The Royal. We will definitely go back!!

Room Tip: Its worth your money to get a beachfront!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Courtney B

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The only reason I did not give this hotel a 5 star rating was because the check-in,check-out area, the lobby bar & the main lobby where the nightly shows are held is not air conditioned .
We had a fabulous time here. The food is delicious & there are so many restaurants that even if you don't like one there are other choices . The staff here does everything possible to make your stay here a memorable one .They work harder than you can imagine.
I can't possibly remember everyones name ,but I'd like to recognize those that made our trip very enjoyable.
Bartenders..... Miguel,ToTo,and Ramos
Pool Waitress.... Prudee
Chefs Plate.... Stepanie,Chefs.. Felix & Duran,Waiters.. Pedro & Rigo
Sports & Activity Team... Teresa,Katie,Omar,Danny,Cesar
The Sports & Activity team is awesome ! If you don't have fun here then you must be from another planet .
If I had to chose one person who really made our vacation the best it would have to be Teresa . She is so much fun & has the best laugh at the Royal . We wanted to put her in our suitcase & take her home with us .

Room Tip: Royal Junior Suite with beachfront walkout is real convienant to ocean & pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dennis Z
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went to The Royal as a second honeymoon in September 12 and had the best time ever! When we arrived we were greeted with cold towels and cold drinks and the checking in only took ten minutes. We were shown to our room by Manuel who was great and showed us where everything was and how things worked. The room was lovely with a massive bed and jacuzzi and everything in it you could possibly want. The food was amazing, but particularly Asiana where Victor organised a special meal for us served by our lovely waiter Roberto and cooked by Gonzalez an outstanding chef. The Tex/Mex across the road at the sister hotel was good particularly if Alejandro served you, he makes wonderful Mayan coffee. Around the pool we were served drinks all day long by Luis, Prude and Elizabeth, they were such lovely people and so helpful. The entertainment crew were all brilliant as well. In the evenings we went to the lobby bar where they put on some great entertainment and we had a smashing time served by Michael and Fransis. The only problem we had was with the keys to our room which kept refusing to work every so often but Thomas on reception sorted that out for us and after that we didn't have any problems at all. The only thing I would change if possible would be the balconies. They are quite large but not very private, it would have been nice to be able to sit out without being visible to other people. We just had such a fantastic time that we can't wait to go again!!!
Anita & Senor Steve

Room Tip: 246 quiet and sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anita D
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I came to the Royal for my birthday with nine of my fav lady friends. It was a short 3 day trip and overall a great fit for our needs. Here are my notes:

Cleanliness:
I can be VERY particular about hotels so I am excited to report that it is clean and immaculately kept. There were people cleaning constantly and they REALLY clean which is impressive. It's a double edge sword cause there is construction (which started VERYYYYY early outside of our room) but sometimes thats the price you pay for something to be well maintained. I do take issue to being woke up to the sounds of workers building a pool so early but construction for the pool was done by the time we left.

Staff:
Staff is generally nice, helpful and friendly. I loved how cute the staff at Maria Marie was when singing a happy birthday song to me. SO thoughtful and fun. One of my major complaints was the constant sales pitches and add ons that the staff wanted us to buy. The pushy "welcome packet" (time share sales) people are pest and even called my room at 8:30 am since I had dodged them the day before. Even the entertainment staff who were a lot of fun by the pool spent a lot of time trying to get us to pay $50 a piece to go to this club called Coco Bongo....annoying.

Food:
Food was good over all...of course there were some meals better than others but we could all find something to eat that made us happy. I really enjoyed spice for quick food all day and Pelicanos. We had a small issue at Asiana because even though there was more than enough space available in the restaurant, they told us we could not have a party of 10 sit together and we should have spoken to the concierge prior. That would have been fine EXCEPT we were told from the beginning no reservations are taken. I think that should have been articulated to me early that there are special rules for large groups so I could have planned properly. However, after that little issue was resolved they went above and beyond to deliver us exceptional service and food.

Entertainment:
Pool and beach chairs get a little hard to find at certain times of day which I think is expected but overall we didn't have too much trouble with that even for 10 of us.
We really enjoyed having the option of going into the downtown area for a night of dancing. I do wish they had more free non-motorized water sports since at times there wasn't so much to do activity wise. I also would have liked an activity/show schedule during checkin or more readily visible.

I probably won't stay there again but thats simply cause I like to try out new places. However, I would tell someone it is worth going if they were traveling to Playa.

Room Tip: As about construction ahead of time! It can get noisy!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank mackeneazy
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed at the royal twice. The fist time with my daughter and it was the best time ever!!! I took my husband the second time it was nice but not the same experience as the first. They new I was a repeat customer and did nothing for me, the fun staff was no where to be found, our room had a bad view, lots of sea weed on the beach....it just wasn't as fun. I remember the first time I was there they treated us like royalty, they even left candy in our room. I am not sure if I want to go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a beach front room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank drkkrk
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went in september on our honeymoon to the Royal in Playa del Carmen and we had a great time. The transfer from the airport took us about an hour but our driver stopped for some beers on the way so a great start. Once we arrived we were whisked away to the Romance Concierge office and Anna and Charon gave us a very informative and warm welcome. Our room was not yet ready but we changed in our bathing suites and went off to beach. The beach area is a very large and it is easy to find a beach bed. In the afternoon we went to our suite and we had a beautiful decoration on the bed which was a very nice touch. The room was very spacious and had a huge Jacuzzi tub in it. During our stay we tried most of the Restaurants but our favorite was the Asiana because we love the Sushi. We also frequently visited the Coffeehouse next to the quiet pool. Ask Oscar for the Specialty of the day. For lunch most of the time we went to the Spice because it is so easy to just grab something from the buffet and also my husband loved that they prepared the steak for them. By the pool the entertainment keeps you going with the activities but we spent most of our time at the beach. We did do the wine tasting in the afternoon with the Sommelier one day which was great. Furthermore we did one tour to Xel ha and we booked it in the hotel with bestday which was very easy and the tour was great perfect snorkeling and good food as well. We definately recommend the Royal to spend a relaxing honeymoon.
m.de v.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank madelief d
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great destination for relaxing by the pool to be entertained by the Sports and Entertainment team (Omar, Katie, Theresa), diving trips with the Underwater World Technical Diving team (Enrique & Jimmy) who ensured that the divers and snorkels in our group of merriment were all taken care of - if you want to learn / refresh your skills they are 1st class), topped by the superb cocktails by Reyes and poolside service by Prude, Yoli and Ale (be sure to ask for the Reyes daily special for drinks and awesome dance moves).

The daily towels animals are hilarious random feature of the day which we loved!

The food and service all day everyday was awesome - and the breakfast mimosa's by David rock.

Recommend this all inclusive.

Apart from the excellent staff, we met a wide range of people from couples of all ages, to wedding parties to groups of guys & chicks on girls week away. Good fun adults only all inclusive.

Room Tip: The new ground floor rooms with individual swim up pools looked awesome but any room with a view is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends