Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$276
$232
Bookit.com
Occidental at Xcaret Destination(Playa del Carmen)
$165
$421
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$318
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$329
  • Beachfront
$403
$384
$271
Bookit.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$984
18,075 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platecoffee houseromance conciergespice restaurantdanny boyjose garciafrozen grapeshour loungeocean viewturn down servicetequila barour honeymoonlobby barbeach butlerpresidential suiteil pescatore
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We've been to Mexico numerous times in all kinds of resorts. Love Cancun. This was our first time to Playa and we chose the Royal for the location mainly.

The Good:
The staff and food are wonderful at this hotel. The people in Playa are so generous and helpful. I think it's a little different than Cancun based on the people that visit. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was great. Even maintenance was helpful. Jospehin at the front desk was lovely.

We ate at almost every restaurant that didn't require slacks (we don't do 'slacks' on vacation). Absolutely loved the Italian and Mexican restaurants across the street at the Gran Porto Real.

Didn't think I would care as much that there were no kids at this resort but the extra money made it WORTH it. Such a great vacation with no kids in the pool or running and screaming.

The location can't be beat either. Close to everything on 5th Avenue which is a must.

The rooms are really nice (depending on where you end up) and the jacuzzi tub is huge.

The Bad:
We've stayed at a ton of inclusive resorts. The nice and the middle of the road. This one is probably one of the loudest. Really. I totally understand noise at resorts but this was a little crazy.

We should have asked to be moved because as we finally figured out on the last day we were right next to the 'meeting spot' for housekeeping every morning around 7 a.m., and the ice machine, and loose tiles in the floor that sounded like people tapping ALL morning.

Again, should have asked to be moved but every time we called to see if there was construction going on or if we were next to something noisy, they would say they would check it out.

We finally tracked down the source of the noise one night- tiles being chipped away at next door to us that the front desk didn't know about.

All that said- it is a great resort. The beaches are smaller than in Cancun but still beautiful. Nice pools and people. My advice would be to keep your bags packed the first night and make sure you're happy with the room before you settle in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dori1977
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was our second visit to the Royal. My husband and I had visited in May of 2007, and this past July we went again with another married couple. The hotel had added on some new restaurants and another section of rooms since we had been there. They also changed the rule about allowing you to get bottles of whatever liquor they had at no charge in your room, which was disappointing, but you could get as much of it as you wanted at the bar, so no big deal. The rooms are spacious, and the bed and pillows very comfortable. They have all different types of pillows, so if you don't like what you have then you can ask for a different type. I will say the property was much more crowded as was the beach since we had been in 2007. It may have to do with the time of year (May vs. July) as well. There were way too many people on the beach for our taste. If you are looking for a big property with lots of people, then this is your place. We will try a smaller, botique property next time.

The service was outstanding. The employees try so hard to make sure you are happy. They are always smiling and trying to help you.

The food is the best all inclusive food I have experienced. Don't forget to try out the coffee bar. It is a nice place to grab a coffee and a small snack. Our favorite restaurant was Asiana's, and we ate there several times. Also, the Italian restaurant at the other hotel across the street is good, too. The only meal we did not care for was at Marie Marie's. We had the grouper and it was TERRIBLE. Other that that, all of our meals were great!

Room Tip: room 355 has a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Leki
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful location with semi decent food. The two best people on the resort by far are Ileana and Jaime. They are very welcoming and accommodating. They greet you with a smile and are always joking with us. So definitely ask for them when you arrive to the pool area!! The rooms are beautiful as well.

3  Thank Susie D
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Me and my wife went to The Royal at Playa del Carmen Aug 31-Sep 6 for our first anniversary. Room was beautiful and decorated very nice. the jacuzzi in the room was a lot of fun. The Royal Romance Concierge!!! Especially Brenda and Anna! I started emailing them weeks before to set up a special day for our 1st Anniversary and they were more than helpful. With there help and very romantic options I was able to make an unforgettable day for my wife. That's basically what pushed me to rate this a very good resort. Other than that experience Daisy who brought us drinks on the beach several of the days we were there was awesome. Also Rebecca at Pelicanos was awesome. Charly and Benjamin at Spice were very welcoming and friendly. The drinks were very good. However the food overall was so so. Food is a pretty big deal to my wife and I so this was disappointing. We had a few good things at Spice, our private beach dinner was good, and I had a good duck at Pelicanos. Other than that it wasn't good. Room service was fun because you could get breakfast, lunch, and dinner 24/7, but pretty much every time we got room service the food was cold, stale, and mostly tasteless. Some of the Lobby bartenders were a little rude when I would go up to get drinks. The overall friendliness of the staff throughout the resort was hit or miss. The two major disappointments or annoyances I guess was every morning we were woken up around 8am by someone calling the room for various reasons or just to see how we were doing. We got tired of that real quick because we wanted to sleep in so the last two nights I disconnected all the phones in the room. Also almost everywhere you went on the resort someone was bugging you to buy something or sign up for something or whatever. That got old fast too. The mini bar was stocked very good that was fun. The ocean and beach were pretty nice, the ocean was a little rocky right in front of the resort. They also did a very nice job of keeping the rooms clean and the turn down service was awesome! Also the shows in the evening at the resort are really cool we saw 4 different shows and had a blast. Being so close to the market was different for us, but that was a blast the first few times and you can even walk to Wal-mart for anything you need for pretty cheap that was fun. Overall it was fun I probably wouldn't return to this resort because of the food, but it was a very fun time.

2  Thank Ashton-Karra
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Awesome resort, rooms outstanding, food is great and the staff is pleasant. With that said there is a troubling aspect to this resort. After staying in a room for the night we elected for an upgrade at an additional cost, in the process of changing rooms we left behind a personal memento (worth zero $) but means the world to my wife. After asking anyone and everyone noone had seen the item. I can only guess 1 of 2 things happened, 1. Housekeeping found and discarded although we had only moved down hall or 2. Housekeeping found and kept for themselves. It is our fault to have left behind but terrible practice that the staff does not try to find owner of an item considering they are still I'm resort. Might have to find a new resort to spend all that money at.

• Stayed: August 2012