“Paradiso en Cancun”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Paradiso en Cancun”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We are on an all inclusive package in the Royal Playa del Carmen. As its motto goes it exceeded our expectation. First the welcome - the procedure was a little lengthy since we were a big group and the paper work did take time. What took time was to understand the various facilities available. We choose a room facing the ocean - and i would suggest you choose one although the suites facing the lawns are a little less expensive. The room has a queen sized bed. An added attraction was a jacuzzi in the room.
Service is excellent. There is a well stocked bar, with beer, whiskey, rum, vodka together with tonic water, soda or soft drinks. There are also small eats -wafers, peanuts to munch on. The room had a bottle of wine to begin with
For food - there are several restaurants to choose from - Spice for a variety of continental food, italian cusine, Asiana that dishes out Asian cusine, There is also a snack bar open 24 hours should you feel hungry.
Drinks - A bar in the lobby, two bars by the main pool and several smaller bars by the various restaurants.
Entertainment - Come sundown there is a show each day and there is always music should you choose to dance
Playa del Carmen is a wonderful beach- white sands, with azure blue waters. Great for a swim and for those who love water sports, there is snorkeling and scuba diving, the latter comes with a charge.
I have been on several vacations, but this is about my best experience of a holiday to remember!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean. They are a little more expensive, but worth it since you wake up wit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank VoyageurIndien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,058)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Goderich
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. All of the staff were extra courteous and extremely polite and helpful , which added to the enjoyment of our holiday. The Chef's Plate's seven course meal was an amazing experience (Thank you Steve & Des ) The fitness and entertainment guys were great - especially Omar ! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing holiday and a resort that has it all. The food was excellent and we tried all of the restaurants. Marie Maria was our favorite by far for dinner. There is talk about safety in Mexico. This area is very safe, and I felt 100% comfortable in town, and also on our bicycle tour through the area where the locals live. There is a lot more to do than eat and drink..... but that was first class too. I would come back to this resort in a flash. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Obviously some have better views - for a price.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DeenaGoderich
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Traveled to Mexico with my husband and another couple Oct 17th-27th in 2011, out trip was unexpectedly lengthened thanks to Tropical Storm Rina so we couldn't fly out until Oct 31! We spent our 1st 5 nights in Playa del Carmen at the Royal, next 5 nights at the Royal in Cancun, then the unexpected extra nights at Sotavento Yacht Club (hostel).

We stayed at the Royal PDC for the 1st 5 nights of our trip and we are glad we stayed here first. After staying at the 2 Royals we prefer the Cancun Royal. Mostly because of the beach and the fact that the water doesn't smell like sulfur.

Check in was ok. No time share pressure. Our room had some minor problems, the door handle to the bathroom was broken, the view was of an street, but we did not upgrade so we didn't expect a nice view. There was another minor problem with the room our friends were in,they had no hot water in the shower! They decided to upgrade to ocean view and we requested a different room. There was nothing for either of us until the next day. When we moved we got a ground floor room with a nice view of the courtyard and a small slice of ocean :) Our friends had an amazing view, they were on the top floor, but no hot water in the shower and when they got to the room it wasn't cleaned. Oddly enough there was hot water in the jacuzzi so that how they bathed! The jacuzzis were great, nice and deep for us tall people! Room service was not good, food always came cold so we gave up after 2 attempts.

The beach was ok, a few rocks in the water, some seaweed, but the worst was the smell that would come every so often, smelled like sulfur. The beach service was top notch!!! We always got a bed which was nice for me, I need the shade! The beach service was far better here than in Cancun.

We loved mariemarie and asiana, and the Mediterranean one. The buffet was good here too, really stuffy and hot a couple of days but it got better. The lobby service was pretty bad so we would send one of our husbands to the bar! LOL!

We loved the proximity to 5th ave and felt very safe walking around at night.

We would definitely return to the Royal in Cancun but not this one.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lesa P
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife and I just returned from 6 days at The Royal and I am soooo happy we didn't choose a different resort. I scoured tripadvisor for a couple of months reading reveiws about this place so I will include a few things that were surprising or questions that were only answered while we were there.

Arrival -

We booked out trip through AAA and arrived at the hotel about two hours before check in time. I was assuming we might be able to store our bags there but would be exploring 5th avenue until check in time, wow I was way off! At the front desk upon pulling our names up we were instantly taken to Ana, our romance concierge. Ana was extremely nice, instantly offering a cool towel and cocktails! She explained all of our amenities and gave us our armbands. We were unable to go to the room until 3 but had ful use of all of the facilities (which was great because we hadn't eaten all day!). We did online check in and had to settle for room 155. As Ana was explaining our room we had mentioned that we really wanted 399, and a few clicks on the computer we had the option of moving into 299 the next day. That was big wow factor because a good ocean view was important for me and a good pool view was important for my wife, perfect! One note, the "Gold" card is the timeshare stuff, a Real club rep did ask us to stop by and activate our card which we did not and never encountered them again.

The Resort-
The resort is absolutely beautiful and flawless. Top quality everywhere and a grounds crew constantly working on the grounds maintaining the beauty. I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone so just trust me when I say this place is absolutely beautiful! The Shows were great as well, very professional and acrobatic

The Room (s)-
Our first room 155 was beautifuly decorated when we walked in with rose petals, towel swans, and some other great touches. The room was flawless except for the "ocean view", which there is NO view of the ocean from this room. I understand why this room would command an ocean view price because the location to the pool is just steps away, a huge plus for many, myself I was looking forward to the next room.

The Next room 299 was fabulous! The view was exactly what both my wife and I were hopeful for. A great ocean view and pool side. The double beds were arranged into one giant bed for us which was fun. This room has the smaller patio so no hammock but for me an easy trade for the view.

Food-
The food was very good. My wife and I coined the term "faux" five star describing the food. They try very hard, however this is Mexico and everything is just a little different. It wasn't the best thing we ever ate but was above average and very good. We also ate at the buffet at the Grand Porto twice and it was very good as well!
Pelicanos- Lovely ocean front views, we didn't care for breakfast at all but very happy we went back for lunch/dinner twice as this is where the place shines. The seabass and the tuna were great!
Tapas- Ate lunch here once and it was great, just remember tapas are small portions as they should be and huge on flavor!
Spice - Great for breakfast, they had some type of tortilla dish in sauce with onions and cheese that I would eat for breakfast everyday! The variety of the offered was great and they had hot dogs and cheeseburgers (see room service)
Maria Marie's- This place was great! The desserts and entrees were outstanding as well as the apps. One note, the lobster bisque is not what you would expect (I don't think it's cream based). I was hopeful for a great bisque but got a good soup.
Mediterrainos- Breakfast buffet not as good as Spice, great dinner menu
Room Service- This was great, a surprisingly good cheeseburger and some great tacos. Quick to deliver, mainly used this for beer and liquor. Changing brands of liquor in the in room bar isn't included but you can order shots from them and that is included.
24hr VIP lounge - Only had the nachos with fresh tortillas, they were great!

Bars- Bars were great, if you don't order the better booze by name you will get well booze, just a heads up. Also, another tip is to bring a big cup, I saw alot of people with bubba kegs and there own large cups which would've been great (you can buy some cool cups on 5th avenue also). I'm pretty sure there is no malibu anywhere in the resort however. Jeysson, Mac, and Armando were great! Martini says hi!

Pool- Pool was huge! It was also very cold however it felt great in the hot sun. Prudee was super nice and took great care of keeping us supplied with Mango Tangos, Mojitos, and dirty monkeys! Towel game is in play for the great seats, my wife usually was down around 730 or 8 to put towels on the loungers in the water, however there are still chairs at any time, even the good ones. If you have a problem getting chairs in the morning, don't sleep till noon, you're in Mexico!

Location- This is the BEST part of the resort. It's a block away from 5th avenue and most days we were strolling up and down shopping, relaxing, and taking in local culture. It's extremely safe with enthusiastic shop keepers the closest thing to danger. My wife and I loved the slightly urban feel to it and the ability to just walk out of the front and there 5th avenue is is absolutely priceless!

Beach- Beach was great! beautiful sand, warm waters, and I thought it was nice that the beach was close to a public beach, nobody bothered us and it was great to see locals out enjoying thier "backyard"!

A couple more things we weren't sure of before we left. The water at the resort is fine to drink as it's filtered, and American electrical plugs are the same and work just fine.

Overall, fantastic trip! If you're looking for quiet and peaceful they have plenty of sections, and if you are looking for more lively times stay by the pool, it's loud in the rooms during the day but not bad, besides, you're in Mexico at the beach, why are you in your room during the day? Can't wait to return and would reccomend The Royal to anyone!

Room Tip: 299 is the best room for ocean views, 155 is a great option for closeness to pool. Overall stay pool...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Russell S
London
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just spent Easter at The Royal Playa del Carmen. Loved it. Our third time in Mexico and third hotel. On each occasion we have had a great time but this was the best. Great location, The weather was good and fellow guests pleasant. Perhaps some parasols would be good. It does seem a bit perverse that almost daily there is advice given out about using adequate sun block and yet around the pools there is no means of moving in and out of shade, other than to leave the pool area. Fortunately for me it wasn't an issue but some people looked like boiled lobsters.

Room Tip: I have no idea....Pay more or as we were very lucky....Room 459 really good location.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank southernsoftieLondon
Washington DC
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Wow, what a way to relax. Great spa, 2 whirlpools, cool pool, steam and sauna. So peaceful, and has hibiscus and chlorophyl waters for refreshment. Had an amazing massage by Samuel! He's the best. knew exactly what to do, could sense where I needed work the most. Great staff, good price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dan B
Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2012

2nd time to Playa within 90 days and this will be the only place I stay. Only hotel on the beach that does not have a 2 foot sand wall to go around before getting to the ocean. 3 minute walk to 5th street where all the action is. Hotel staff was courteous, helpful and glad to have us there! Unlimited room service was taken advantage of. Take advantage of the ocean front walk out rooms if possible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends