“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Geco Playa - CLOSED

Il Geco Playa
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Il Geco Playa The best steak house in Playa del Carmen, which offers fine fire-grilled steaks, fresh seafood and fish, chicken and Italian classics.At “Il Geco Playa”, you can find competitive prices and treat yourself to delicious, angus beef prime: 100% mexican. Carefully selected and brought from the northwest of the country.
Toronto, Ontario
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My experience with Il Geco Playa was awful. I was walking on the street looking to find a place with a television so I could watch basketball. A staff member in front of Il Geco Playa was trying to coax me into their restaurant. I noticed it had a TV, which was not turned on, and so I said that I will come in if he could turn on their TV and turn to a channel with a basketball game that I wanted to watch. He said, "no problem". I sat down, ordered a drink and a snack, I then realized that their TV was not working properly (that's probably the reason the TV was not on in the first place). The TV screen only could project half a screen. They proceeded to shuffle through channels and promised that they could find my basketball game. I thought about leaving but it was too late. I had already ordered and they had already brought the drink to the table. They then gave me the remote and said that I could look for the basketball game myself, which I tried and discovered that their TV did not have the channel that was broadcasting the game. This was very disappointing. I asked for the bill soon after. The bill, like many restaurants in Playa Del Carmen, had a suggested tip amount (15%). I paid the bill and waited for my change. When I received my change I realize that they had already taken the suggested tip amount out of my change. I was not impressed at all. Apparently at this restaurant, "Suggested Tip" = "We will take this amount of money from you whether we give you good service or not". Basically, I feel that the people who run this restaurant will do whatever they can to get as much money out of you as possible. What's really annoying too is that they have a Trip Advisor sticker (with no rating, so I am not sure if it's even authentic) on their restaurant sign to try to allude to you that they are a great establishment. This restaurant does not deserve your time or money. Don't eat here.

• Visited March 2014
ILGECO P, Proprietario at Il Geco Playa, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
For a moment I thought that the problem was the food but instead it was just for the game.

Stittsville, Canada
“BEST LITTLE RESTAURANT IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visited Il Geco Restaurante & Bar in the 5th Avenue shopping area in Playa Del Carmen during our recent stay in Mexico, with the intention of doing some souvenir shopping and having a dinner off the resort. We looked at a couple of different restaurants, (wife wanted Italian, I preferred Mexican) when we happened upon Il Geco. We weren't sure at first--their menu had good variety, but they were not specialized in one thing. But it was raining and we were getting hungry, so we decided to try it out. We had a wonderful time, excellent service, and a terrific meal. The Chicken wrap was out of this world, The steak was HUGE and very tasty, 4 Cheese Gnocci was excellent, and the seafood Pasta was perfect. Also, if you're a dessert lover, GET THE CREPES!!! Delicious!!! Absolutely great little place, very affordable, (we paid $139 US for dinner for 4 people, including drinks, appetizers and desert!!!) Would recommend highly and we will return here when we visit the area again. Check them out!

• Visited February 2014
Southern Finland, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were 3 persons eating dinner at the restaurant. It took over 1 hour before we got our meals. They all came out of the kitchen at different time. Had to ask for the beverage twice. No cutlery at the table though the food was already there. Food was ok. Something is obviously wrong. It seems the restaurant would need a visit from Gordon Ramsay....

• Visited February 2014
Carlsbad, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Raul was our server and he was amazing! The food is great, the service was fabulous! Totally recommend the steak. There are a lot of restaurants in this strip, so I would put this in the top 3 to visit.

• Visited January 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Terrible! Absolutely horrible food and service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a horrible place. The menu is a mess no matter what you order the service is terrible and the food even worse. They changed the name but the food is still terrible and the same owner. There are some really great restaurants nearby that are very good. This place is awful!!!

• Visited December 2013