“Best dinners in Playa”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Best dinners in Playa”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

When I walked by this nice looking restaurant on my way to tequila town it caught my eye. I'm a stickler for details and so are the owners of this fine establishment. When I did get in a couple of days later I was treated to the nicest dinner I've had in Playa. From the chips and homemade sauces (delish and hott) to the main course which is very unique and more than adequate in portion, it was simply amazing. Let's not forget desert, every bit as good as the main course. Not to mention the BEST margarita ever... it was a slightly different mix that one of the regulars (whom is a restaurateur) serves at his own restaurants. To say our waiter was great would be an understatement, very well versed on the menu and was right on with his recommendations. Daniel was his name and I would highly recommend him and the wonderful restaurant he works at.

2 Thank playacult

Penticton
“Fabulous Experience”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was recommended by people at the dive shop. Friday nights you are greated with a complimentary sol beer. Very nice touch. Ordered the rice dish with sea food, sandwich, onion rings and pork, onion pizza. Pi zza was the best we have ever had and have returned 3times since. Finished one meal off with an empinada desert. DELISH. Best food we have had in Playa del Carmen with the best wiaiter..Daniel.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Jan W
Huntington Beach
“Great food, fun atmosphere--a new favorite!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We first noticed Caguguameria because it was packed with locals and looked like a cute place. We come to Playa at least once a year and this was new to us. The menu has a lot of beef and pork options, although some seafood is available. My husband loved the northern Mexican steak soup and beef tacos. They are very proud of their unique homemade sauces, which they will describe for you. Personal flatbread pizzas include a great salmon pizza with Gorgonzola, sprouts and black olives. I eat a lot of guacamole when in Mexico and their traditional version was outstanding, and by far the largest portion I've seen. While there is quite a bit of seating downstairs, the upstairs area has a eclectic mix of furniture and an overall funky design. Seating can get tight upstairs at busy times. The first night we sat at an old Coca-Cola card table. There is a large picture of a black French bulldog upstairs and on the waiter's shirts. His name is Guevas and he is the owners dog and the name of their signature mescal. There is a full bar with a wide variety of tequilas and they serve a nice Chilean Sauvignon blanc for us wine drinkers. Even the music was a good mix and added to the fun. We'll definitely be back here on our next trip!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank lemur_chica
Laredo, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent you shouldn't miss next time you go to Playa !!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great service, unique tipical Mexican food, drinks and Mezcal !!! You have to try the tuna salad and la chancel a, with a shot of Gueva Mezcal !!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Greg G
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Classico”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

You really shouldn't miss this place and be sure to give yourself about 15-20 minutes to read through the extensive menu. I'm not one to mention burgers but when I saw one of their burgers I couldn't believe the size! Your jaw will get a work out. Their Chanclas are incredible. They are pretty much a flatbread cooked in a wood oven. Add lobster, goat cheese, oaxaca cheese, caramelized red onion and top with fresh sprouts and its a meal you won't forget. The mission now is to get through their extensive menu. No reason to eat on 5th when you have this kind of place.

• Visited November 2013