“Disappointing”

La Finisima Caguameria de Esquina
Ranked #240 of 1,258 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Seafood, Mexican, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

As one reviewer mentioned above, I really wanted to like this place.
The location is great, and the restaurant is beautiful, especially at night. Maybe to go for a drink and enjoy the atmosphere is the best option for this place.
We went for lunch and the restaurant was understandably quiet mid-week. After reviewing the menu for twenty minutes, we were completely overwhelmed and didn't really understand (although we did laugh a few times at the humour). We asked for one of the "Chanclas" (pizzas), but without the ham, due to a food allergy. The waiter came back to tell us that it was not possible to make ANY modifications to the menu, and pointed out the text on the menu saying exactly that, so as not to make the chef cry.
I insisted that I did not want to add any ingredients, just remove the most expensive ingredient. He went back and the chef came out to insist that there were NO modifications allowed. I finally asked if it would be possible to send out the pizza with the ham on the side, not even touching the pizza. He said yes. To me, this was the same as throwing good food in the garbage.
At this point I was extremely frustrated at the waste that the chef was insisting on, as the pizza was sent back with the ham completely untouched.
The rest of the food tasted over-seasoned and very salty. The waiter was attentive, and seemed to also be a little frustrated that he was not allowed to help us with our requests.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend the place, and hope they make some changes, as the place seems to have a lot of potential.

• Visited September 2013

Mexico
“Original food and tasty”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just to read the menu is a delight in itself. Food was good and if you like hot stuff try any of their sauces. Drawback...12 shrimp any style WAY TOO pricey for the size of the shrimp.

1 Thank acamacho1970
Denver, CO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent...slightly different than what you expect in Playa”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place when looking for a bite to eat for lunch. The upstairs patio is what caught our eye and we were so happy it did. The food was excellent. I agree with others that the menu is overwhelming. We asked our waitress for recommendations and ended up with the fried pork nuggets as an appetizer (never would have ordered on our own) and shared the lobster and bacon Mexican pizza. Both were delicious. Not one to order pizza when on vacation is Mexico but this was like nothing I've had in the states. The lobster was cooked perfectly and the flavors were well balanced. Loved all the different hot sauces - we tried all 8! Definitely worth checking out if you are looking for something a little different.

1 Thank Furber21
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“I wanted to like it. . .”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A new restaurant in Playa. It came recommended by friends and I wanted to like it. Unfortunately, there wasn't too much about it that I did like. We were a party of 4 on a quiet Wed. night in August. I found the menu fussy: there was too much on it and it was too confusing. Our waiter was inexperienced and was of no assistance. It took him some serious convincing when one of us wanted to order a pizza that had half the ingredients from one on the menu and one ingredient added to it that we knew was available because it was on another pizza on the menu. He simply couldn't get his head around how this had to be possible, and they could simply charge us whatever they wanted. We did sort that out in the end but it took a lot of work. Our appetizer came with 11 different sauces, which made our table crowded and gave us the impression that the restaurant does not know what it wanted to be. Even if we had wanted to try them all we had fewer that 11 pieces in our appetizer. . .The most disappointing thing is that our meals all arrived at different times. The 4th person was served 25 minutes after the 1st so we all had to watch each other eat. And while some of the food was tasty, a lot of it was overly salty. In my opinion, the restaurant needs to simplify its menu, focus on making fewer things but making them well, and training its staff. I'm sorry to say I can't recommend it when there are so many restaurants in Playa that are just so much better.

Laguna Beach, CA
“Amazing experience with unique dishes and great service”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Happened upon this spot and glad we did. Javier one of the chefs waited on us and loved to describe his unique flavorful dishes. Lobster pizza ( which was on a crispy tortilla) was great. Also had a guacamole with small chunks of steak which was delicious. Tried a bunch of different tacos and all were yummy and a little edgy. Casual funky fun and cool dishes. One of our favorite meals!!

• Visited June 2013