“Do not disturb means do not disturb”
Review of Koox Hotel Banana

Koox Hotel Banana
Ranked #123 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights. It is a decent place and the people at the reception are nice. The room is decent and the location is good. For what we paid it is a good place to stay EXCEPT the issue about the maids. I do not think they understand what a do not disturb sign on the door means. On our second day after we got here, the maid clean our room with a do not disturb sign while we were out. We let that slide but on our third day. We were inside just waking up when the maid opened the door without even knocking. I have never been a place where they just opened your door without knocking and not considering the privacy of the guest. We were not wearing proper clothes for her to just barged in. We had enough so we went down on the reception and complained about the issue. Overall it would have been great except the issue with the maid. It was annoying.

My tip is to make sure you let the receptionist know to tell the maid not to disturb your room when the do not disturb sign is on the door.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We enjoyed staying at the hotel Banana. It was very authentic and offered an excellent location right off 5th avenue. It wasnt quite as noisy on this end of 5th. Only a few blocks walk to Mamitas Beach club. You could enter the beach for free, chairs and umbrellas would cost. The hotel was in VERY close walking distance to shopping, food and beach! There was a very cool boutique right across the street and lots of other cool stores and restaurants.
The beds were the absolute hardest I have ever felt. The had no springs. The pillows were pretty bad too. EVERYTHING else about this hotel was great for the money. Make sure to request a street view. My mothers balcony view was of the hotel lobby pool. It was very small, but who goes to Mexico for a pool? Also, they charge your card a deposit and then return it after you leave. No biggie....but I had a hard time understanding this. My fault for not speaking Spanish. Once they got the owner, it was all good. Hopefully, I will return to Hotel Banana one day.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a street view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Nice, clean rooms with fridge and safe. good location at the quiet part of 5 th Avenida, so you're close to all the restaurants, shops and the beach but don't have to worry abouth the noise.
Staff is very friendly and willing to help.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We love the location in proximity to 5th and Mamitas beach club on the north part of the beach. The staff is friendly and attentive. We appreciated the available purified water, which we have since discovered is not always available for free at other hotels in the area. Overall it is a no frills hotel, very basic, but the location and value are hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The perfect location, for Bus terminal, any form of taxi right in front of the hotel. Staff are very friendly, and in the not so busy side of 5th Ave. All shops and restaurants in walking distance. But.....the hotel is old and need some tlc. Room furniture need some change.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puff747
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Lots of options in playa. This is a small hotel located at very end of main strip. Close to beach clubs if that is your thing. They do offer 50% off chairs at mamitas not a lot of ambience and very small dipping pool found other hotels at better prices and amenities.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank yucatantravelerpdx
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have just returned from a two week stay in the Mexican Riviera, stayed at 5 different small hotels all of which I liked, but I can honestly say that this place had the nicest, friendliest staff! I wish I had asked the receptionist at the front desk who welcomed us upon arrival what her name was as she was just such a pleasant person with a beautiful smile! The hotel experienced a crisis of sorts during our stay (2 nights), g2 American girls had clogged the toilet with paper! But the staff handled it quickly and efficiently; they graciously upgraded our room, which I have to say was closer to the street (but on the 3rd level) but was very quiet. If I return to player, I will definitely go back there!

Room Tip: Our first room was on the street level near the pool, I was concerned about the noise level, but it...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family