“Great food... odd service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maiz de Mar - CLOSED

Maiz de Mar
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are relocating, we are closed.
Durham, North Carolina
“Great food... odd service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were here in June and loved our experience - great al fresco dining with a cool vibe inside as well! We were really starving so we ordered a bunch of appetizers and drinks right away. We were then ready to order a meal and our server was so confused! He must have thought we would be full after apps :) We proved that we are hungry Americans and ordered entrees much to his surprise. The fish as expected was wonderful - hence the "mar" in the name. Perfectly cooked and used delicious, simple flavors. They also get extra credit for awesome corn tortillas - also expected for the "maiz" part of their name. They served complimentary soup and a small dessert as well which was a nice surprise.

• Visited June 2014

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Different . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Try this restaurant for some of the magic created by Mexico's top chef, Enrique Olvera . . . aficionados know that his restaurant in Mexico City, 'Pujol' is probably the first choice in the city . . . and now he is in Playa !

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank JaimeMurcielago
Arlington, Texas
“Excellent quality all local ingredients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Went into here for cool place to have drinks. Had appetizers going back for dinner, staff excellent,
Ceviche with pineapple out of this world...highly recommend. Manager very kind and fun,
Super book on chef and concept of place

• Visited July 2014
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, United States
“Good Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Having the benefit of a Mexican friend being with us , we ordered a wide variety of dishes , the majority of which were good ... The service was however slow & some what inattentive

1 Thank Jack W
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“I LOVED Maiz de Mar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went with a group of people and had the benefit of ordering many different things on the menu to share and try multiple things. Well, thankfully, one of my friends made the suggestions of what to get because she frequented the restaurant. I will be honest, when I looked at the menu I felt like a deer in headlights. But the multiple dishes, one was a light salad, another was a dish stuffed into an Avacado, something else with delicious scallops and my ULTIMATE favorite dish was something I would have never ordered mainly because it said it had "worm salt" involved in the ingredients... WELL, it was honestly one of my favorite dishes I have had in Playa. Fresh, light and Yummy. I wish I had a better memory to state the names of the 4 dishes I tried because liked them all.

• Visited December 2013