Graffiti Playa Hostel
  • Pool
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$297
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$486
$349
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$761
$562
$472
$973
$450
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The room was spacious, however the bed was not comfortable and during our stay (5days) no cleaning facilities were available. Our room was not located in the main building, and the general feel of this extended block is a dirty feel, also the front door lock did not always lock properly. The only advantage of this hostel is it's location - very well located to the centre. Just outside the building there's a public bus service to Tulum and other touristic places.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Definitely "the worst" place I have stayed in Central America. When we arrived we were taken to a private room in another building a couple of blocks from the main hostel building. The minute we opened the door, before we even walked inside, a disgusting smell of dampness hit us! It was awful. Before the staff let us walk into the room she grabbed a can of air freshener and polluted the room by spraying loads of it inside to mask the damp smell. Well as soon as the air freshener wore away the place was stinking again.
There was large mould growths all over the walls and ceilings. There was even a blanket attached to the wall by the bed. I lifted it up to see was there maybe a window behind it. There was no window, just tons of black smelly mould on the wall and they had this blanket covering it up.
It was sold to us as a room with 2 beds. One bed was a double with stains on the sheets and the second bed was a mattress on a piece of wood on the floor, with no sheets! Also, there was no hot water as advertised and no toilet paper.
A member of staff kindly moved us to another room, it was a slight improvement but was still smelly, damp and again had stained sheets!
It was late at the time and I had been traveling all day so I had no choice but to sleep here for one night.
I left the next morning and did not pay. I would not even pay to leave my dog stay in that place so I was certainly not paying to stay there myself. The rooms are nothing as they appear on the Internet, trust me. And after reading other reviews here I can see I'm one among many people who thought this place was a mess. As you can see from all my other reviews here, I'm not one to complain and have written maybe 1 bad review in the past. This place is terrible and there are far better places to stay in Playa Del Carmen.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked a Private Room (Shared Bathroom) - Garden View. What we received was in an annex building 200m from the hostel, next to a sex shop, with a view of a concrete wall through the transparent window. The room we were expecting is what they have as the picture, but that's not what we walked in to. The room we received was absolutely disgusting and the toilet didn't even work. They advertise hot water but the water was barely running. There was no 24 hour security in the annex building, or anybody at all, and very little in the main property. The only "security" is the receptionist who only sits at the front of the property when they feel like it, then will leave whenever they want to do other things. Speaking of the hostel workers: they barely speak to you regarding the property let alone the area or anything else to do.

They claim to have a swimming pool and laundry facilities. These were in the main building but the laundry was inaccessible and the pool only had a few liters of water in it and a thick layer of grime. The communal area is NOTHING like advertised in the pictures. It looks like they borrowed the furniture for a photo shoot then got rid of it. That's true of all the other photos advertised here, none of which reflect the reality of this hostel. If you want to top it off there's a joyful puppy in the backyard that's malnourished, dreadfully underweight and tied to a fence all day.

I have photos of the other property and you can contact me if you want them. This is an absolute disgrace to have advertised on such a reputable website and should be removed immediately to protect other people.

Because we were staying in the annex building with no others around, not even staff, we did not feel safe. The door had been broken into before and barely locked. You could have easily jumped the fence from next door, seen through the clear/broken window straight into our bed, kicked the door and walked out with all our stuff. It reminded us of an abandoned hotel that they've purchased, thrown in a few beds and given out the keys. We stayed there until about 9PM (on the day we checked in) when we decided that it wasn't worth the security risk and left for a nicer place. We went back to the hostel the following day at 11AM to return the key and was told that we couldn't get a refund. We didn't even ask for a refund, which makes me think that it happens quite frequently.

Between us we have traveled to over 80 countries and collectively spent over 2 years in hostels. We are by no means snobby about hostels. We have traveled to third world countries, spending only a few dollars per night, and the quality is better than this. If you come to Playa, which is a great place, don't stay here.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have no other choice in the world and need to stay here then don't pick anything except the main building, which is still a absolutely horrible choice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was travelling with 2 of my friends around central America and was stopping off in Playa Del Carmen before we moved on to Cancun to fly home. The morning of checkout I had asked the receptionist if I could leave our belongings in the room so that it was still in the hostel as there is no locked area for travellers to leave their belongings. The lady told me that no, I had to leave all of our stuff behind the front desk because they needed to clean the room. We put our stuff behind the desk along with luggage from other travellers and were told itd be safe, so we left for lunch. We were gone for 1.5 hours to get something to eat and then we were heading to Cancun to catch our next reservation (We were flying out on the 23 and this incident happened on the 21). In the hour and a half span of time, my day pack with approx. $900 worth of stuff including my passport was stolen, along with 2 full luggage bags belonging to 2 other guests and the purse of the receptionist were STOLEN. In a place that advertises `24 hour security` and `24 hour reception`. The receptionist LEFT THE FRONT DESK with the door wide open so she could go and make a bed. She put all of our stuff at risk because she needed to make a bed. AND stuff got stolen because someone walked in to help themselves. They have NO security, and no security cameras. If you don't speak Spanish you are in trouble, because all of the people you need to make reports with don't speak English either (the other girls we were with spoke fluently luckily). This place is a joke. Everyone working there is working there ILLEGALY and the girl whos purse got stolen wouldn't go to the cops because they threatened to arrest her. So you can imagine how helpful she was. We waited for 10 hours to speak to someone in charge and the manager kept saying he was coming, kept saying hed come to speak to us and we eventually had to track him down. Being that it was the hostels fault for losing our stuff when we were all told our things would be secure... we all wanted some kind of compensation so the girls could get some clothes since they lost everything, and I needed money to get a 24 hour passport to get back home and change my flight since theres a 24 hour processing time, including the electronics that were taken from me valuing approx. $900 The Italian owners who live in Cuba told him `they are not obligated to pay us anything because we put our stuff there` BUT THE HOSTEL PEOPLE WOULDNT LET US LEAVE OUR BAGS IN OUR ROOM!!! AND they advertise security and 24 hour reception WHICH makes them accountable. This is BY FAR the worst hostel experience I have had and that's saying something. AVOID this place. They don't care about anyone or anything but covering their own butts. There are plenty of hostels in the same area, this ones is not worth your time or money.

Room Tip: Another hostel all together would be a better option.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had a really bad experience in this hostel. The fotos published in the web are fake. Random people work at the reception for free accommodation . No security, and we got our stuff stolen (including a passport) from the reception, after filling the police reports, we asked for a manager or someone responsible to talk to (we waited for 10 hours!!), no one ever came, they didn't give us the names of the owners (all we got is that they are Italians and they are in Cuba).
This, and long conversations we had with some people working there has made us understand that this is not a legit business.
The area around the Graffiti playa, is full of hostels and hotels, avoid going to this one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends