Review Highlights

Reviewed August 15, 2018
KaraLenae
Phoenix, Arizona
via mobile

All reviews amberjack catch fish ceviche big fish mahi mahi great trip trigger fish amber jack large barracuda sea turtles trolling salat charter rigging boat bonita bears
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

So I came down to playa with my wife and 3 children. Typically anytime I travel to Mexico (or anywhere possible) I am going to fish! We had our 1 yr old daughter with us so this trip I considered just being a pool bum the whole trip....that didn’t last long lol.

I ended up taking my two boys (13 & 5 years old) out for a morning of fishing. This was the first offshore trip for my youngest son, so I told captain Salas I just wanted to catch some fish, didn’t matter what it was as long as it kept the kids entertained. He listened, and did just that!

Upon meeting Captain S at the boat, he was ready to go! He had a cooler full of cerveza for me, and sodas and water for the kids. I brought some snacks from the hotel just in case as I was aware this was not included. He and his mate speak great English if that makes any difference, I’ve always been able to communicate fishing in any language . Very entertaining and hospitable.

So to the important part, we went out to a nearby reef and began bottom fishing within ~15 minutes of getting on the boat. Immediately we are on fish. We were using light tackle but all tackle was in good working condition. First fish up was my older sons BIG trigger fish. I told Captain S we just wanted a fish or two to eat, the rest he could have or we would throw back.

Next fish up was another big trigger me and my younger son caught. Then a small (but delicious) grouper. Captain S caught the biggest blue fish I’ve ever seen!! Seriously looked like an amberjack almost. Then I hooked something a little bigger, and it was a great fight on light tackle. Turned out to be a 4’ barracuda, landed on mono. Then another barracuda landed on mono. The leaders were double hook rigs so it actually cut one hook off but the other was in edge of his mouth he couldn’t break it.

Later my older son caught a bigger cuda about 5’. We had all caught fish and were having fun, so Captain S asked if we wanted to run out to the weed line and troll for some mahi. My kids were having fun and wanted to ride around so all was good. We went out about 10 miles maybe and found the weed line, then I started getting excited myself knowing what all lurks out there!

We trolled for the last ~30 mins or so and ended up with a little chicken dolphin, my older sons first mahi so that was great. We tossed that lil guy back.

We went back to the shore, Captain S and mate immediately cleaned the fish, asked what all I wanted so I picked a few fillets, we had a beer and hung out with some locals for a bit. Overall was a great fishing trip. Captain S is a fisherman for sure. I’ve been on plenty of boat rides, this wasn’t one of them. He can’t make fish that aren’t there bite, so in my opinion always give the guide the choice at selecting the target species as they know what’s biting at that time.

Thank you Captain S for a great trip with my kids, making memories with them to cherish is all that matters to me. You did a great job and I really appreciate it!

Gracias Senor

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

We have been on several deep sea fishing trips all over and had yet to catch a big fish, but Captain Salas delivered! We caught a total of 3 amberjacks (corona is what they are called in Spanish).

When we were picked up promptly at 7am, Captain Salas had another crew member there to assist us. Everything was set and ready to go on the boat. He was so kind and professional- I couldn't have asked for more! We fished for a total of 6 hours. As soon as we came back to shore, his crew cleaned and filleted our fish. Unfortunately we are unable to keep the other two fish as it was just my husband and I. So we were happy to give the other two amberjack to Captain Salas and his crew.

Captain Salas suggested we take our fresh fish to a local restaurant who were happy to cook it up for us ($10 USD/pp) that evening. The amberjack was a mild white fish that tasted delicious! If you're ever in Playa del Carmen, be sure to look up Captain Salas. I highly recommend him and we will definitely be booking our next fishing trip with him when we return to Mexico!!!

Reviewed May 9, 2018 via mobile

What a great day today. Caught some great fish with an amazing and knowledgable captain. Can’t wait to go out again tomorrow!

Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Really can’t say enough good things about Captain Salas and his crew. Their email response time was really good, the boat ran great, their attitudes were tons of fun, they worked hard the whole time, and put us on fish in a hurry. But the best part is that they genuinely love what they do and put a lot of effort into sharing that with their guests.

I’m from the west coast of Canada and have grown up fishing the oceans and rivers there. My girlfriend, on the other hand, had never fished before. One of the great things about Captain Salas, his brother Joel, and deckhand Joey (I hope I remembered all the names right) is that they made the experience really enjoyable for both of us. They let my girlfriend play the first fish of the day and continually made things exciting for both of us.

All in all we saw flying fish, a HUGE sea turtle, caught some very nice amber jack’s and an absolutely beautiful sailfish! Salas made it very clear that catching sailfish is not something that happens every day and we felt very fortunate to have been able to experience it. They were almost more excited than we were to see it come up to the boat! But my personal highlight of the day was when we arrived back on the beach.

Captain Salas and the boys got to work cleaning our catch and, to our surprise, arranged for some of the locals who work at a nearby hotel to bring a platter and ingredients out to make the freshest ceviche you can find. The delicious food drew in a crowd and Salas, Joel, and Joey generously shared their bounty with anyone who dropped by. It was really refreshing to be included in a genuine local experience in a town that can feel overly touristy at times. That to me is the one of the coolest parts about fishing, bringing people together and sharing an unforgettable experience, which our day aboard the “Juancho” with Captain Salas truly was.

Reviewed March 18, 2018

My boys and I booked again this year with Captain Salas. We have used other charters in the area (about twice the price of Captain Salas). You get bang for your buck with Captain Salas. My oldest summed it up (last year) - "Captain Salas may not have the fancy equipment but he knows where the fish are located and how to catch fish". I cancelled our trip due to the State Department alert and contacted Captain Salas by email. He responded promptly with recommendations. He was completely understanding regarding my initial reservations. He allowed us to rebook directly with him (instead of using fishingbooker). He even let us start later than normal. We caught two Amberjacks. Captain Salas remembered that we lost an Amber Jack the prior year. He is friendly and was VERY good with my two boys (10 and 8). His helper was also very helpful. We also bottom fished (when the boys got restless). I posted last year's fish (small bottom fish) and this year's Amberjacks.
My boys and I have used high dollar charters (Maui, Punta Cana, Playa). For the price, Captain Salas' charter is a steal. We had planned to go out with him again, but our schedule didn't allow it. My boys adore Captain Salas because he takes his time and teaches them about fishing. I'm a single mother who travels with two boys and I trust Captain Salas with my boys. You can't go wrong with Captain Salas.

Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

Booked to go out today. He did not turn up. We called him for 30 minutes before he answered and said we could not go out as it was rough seas. He was still in bed, guaranteed. Wasted a cab fare there and back. Guy is a time waster. Disgraceful service

Reviewed February 2, 2018 via mobile

Just had an awesome day with captain Salas and his crew!! They worked hard the whole time to catch fish and were so happy doing it. You can tell they put their hearts into their jobs! The equipment was top notch, didn’t lose a fish. We actually reeled two fish in at the same time!

Reviewed January 26, 2018

Capt. Salas did not inform me that he, himself won't be on the fishing trip. Instead he had another worker take us out who was not friendly at all and spoke very little English. The captain was lazy and didn't help us jig for fish like a good charter would do. On board there was a 50 gallon container of gasoline that was half full and the odor from that container was so strong that all of us almost tapped out an hour into it. We were experiencing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning (nauseous, dizziness, lightheaded). We complained about the odor multiple times and the captain didn't seem to care until i finally told him to start moving because we were all getting sick. The boat did not handle the waters well and the equipment on board were very cheap (ugly stick). We ended up landing 2 fish in 4 hours and we still had another 30 minutes left but the captain just went back to shore. I'm not sure why other reviewers are giving this guy 5 stars but my experience was not worth it.

Reviewed January 15, 2018

This is the second time I fished with Captain Salas. We had such a great trip last year, we booked him again when visiting the area this year. They worked hard to get us on fish and we hauled in 8 this time! As we walked across the beach with our catch, a guy stopped us and said that they fished a different charter yesterday for 6 hours and didn't catch anything. They filleted one of the fish for us and the restaurant next door prepared it for lunch. I highly recommend using them for fishing if you are in the area!

Reviewed January 10, 2018

Fishing with Capt. Salas and Johnny was one of the highlights our our trip in Mexico. We began jigging for big fish further out and caught and amberjack. When the fish weren't biting, Capt. Salas knew right where to go. He brought us closer to shore and we began to score triggerfish like they were going out of style! On top of the mountain of triggerfish we pulled in, we even had the excitement of catching a barracuda! After our trip was through, Capt. Salas and Johnny cleaned the fish and brought it to a nearby restaurant where we had the amberjack and some of the triggerfish made into ceviche (best I've ever had!) and also cooked in various styles to eat as is or in tacos. Capt. Salas and Johnny made sure everyone was getting in on the action and that everyone was having a good time. His sense of humor and excitement of the catch was contagious. Would highly recommend this fishing outfit to anyone looking to have a good time on the water with