“Amazingly spectacular!”

Ranked #175 of 1,305 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: $1,500 - $2,000
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "Cooking with thoughts, eating with feelings" Through a constant search of tastes, smells and textures in our environment, we offer a sensorial, playful and creative experience, in which we draw a single route to demonstrate the purity and essence of new flavors, created based on our experiences. The Author Cuisine requires thoroughness research and imagination to capture our environment and translate it into each dish. The restaurant Cocina de Autor offers a free and relaxed gastronomic tour that reflects the culture and the life around us.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you're looking for new food experience.. definitely this is your place!
My wife and I stayed at the Grand Velas Resort and some friend told us we need to make a reservation in this Restaurant..
They served 8 different gourmet dishes prepared by the chef Xavier Pérez Stone.. it's a chef's menu, there's 'a la carte' service.
All the personnel is well trained to explain you the dishes they served to you. In our case, Christian and Isaac were the people in charge of our table, they explained to us each dish.

They promised an unforgettable dinner and it was for us!

Enjoy!

1  Thank Sernaj9
There are newer reviews for Cocina de Autor - Grand Velas Rivera Maya

Reviewed November 16, 2013

What a treat to experience the different types of foods and flavors of this unique restaurant. We were surprised at every course and delighted with the amazing ways that the culinary team created each dish. May not be for everyone...but if you want to try something out of the box and special...make a reservation and explore!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was so exited to dine here, one of the reasons why I even booked this hotel after reading about this place and all the great reviews.
I enjoy fine dining and love experimenting with new foods but I did not like food at all, experience was nice, presentation and service was excellent, but there was not one item I was overly impressed with.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had been hearing many reviews from all over the resort. I kept telling my husband we could do room service when we were done. We didn't need to eat everything. However, as strange as everything is/looks, when it comes out, it always tasted better than it looked. We were given a chared black plate that turned out to be the most scrumptious fish. We were told how to eat the salad clockwise, I almost balked, but I followed the directions, and it was wonderful. Check out the pictures. Would you eat a plate that is burned black? Other plates were beautiful.
Put your childlike adventurous hat on. Go in smiling and wondering and come out full!

PS...we didn't order room service. Bottom line we went with the flow and enjoyed everything.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I thought the food got too creative (for example, I don't think shrimp goes well with chocolate sauce and beet foam...yuck). I would have preferred to order a la carte instead of getting the tasting menu. If there is a choice in the matter, our server did not present the choice. I would NEVER have ordered foie gras or veal yet it was put in front of me with no choice in the matter. I would have been happier eating dinner off the menu at any other restaurant at the resort.

1  Thank Deborah L