New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Violet Cafe Lounge & Bar

The Violet Cafe Lounge & Bar
Ranked #424 of 1,154 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The Violet Cafe Lounge & Bar in Playa del Carmen is a popular spot for those who want to try traditional Mediterranean dishes with a hint of Italian influence. They serve a great variety of seafood such as calamari, prawns and delicious lobster with pasta. The freshly prepared homemade pastas, pizzas and salads are a must whilst dining here and it is highly recommended to taste a wine from the extensive wine list. The owners are Italian themselves so they definitely make sure to use authentic recipes from back home.
Wisconsin
“Worth seeking out for excellent pasta and salads”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The colors are what first attracted us: cream and violet, something different, something soothing. The creative menu and the warmth of the staff kept us. And the food will bring us back. The owners explained that they "escaped" from Italy (Sicily and Puglia), and I hope that diners find them, they are creating some fine dishes. The lounge salad was sooo delicious: avocado slices, romaine, corn, carrot, and goat cheese with a honey dressing. We also enjoyed the penne with gorgonzola and pecans. Everything fast and fresh and definitely tastier (and cheaper) than the always-packed 5th avenue Italian restaurants. Good Italian wines too.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank timmind

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“VIOLET CAFé in Playa del Carmen..FABULOUS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I read about Violet Café in Playa del Carmen and I definetely recommend to all people looking for nice cocktails, delicious cooking and amazing atmosphere!! Nice place, informal chic, cool people and good prices (little drunk at the end ;) .. at only 50mt from the wellknown traveller s 5th avenue, you can find very nice, cosy and cheaper locals..many different delicious specialities to do not definetely miss!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank 935Nadia
Montreal, Canada
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We were going to the Coffee Shop, but it was closed. Violet Cafe was close and open, so we went there. I am so glad we did. We ordered lemonade, cappuccinos, a croissant with Nutella for the kids and shared a focaccia sandwich, on recommendation of our server. Amazing! The service was great, and fast. I look forward to returning for supper.

Milan, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food! great service! you can't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've dinner at the Violet with some friends during my stay in playa del carmen! it's full of restaurants and bars, but I really feel to reccomend this one, if you pass around here!
service it's great, italian staff friendly and loving. nice atmosphere, and food top notch!
we had mostly seafood.. don't miss the calamari and prawns tempura! absolutely excellent! if you like pasta, ask for the lobster "tagliolini".. you will not forget it!
and it is a good value for money!!!!!!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Elisa V
Mombasa, Kenya
“Great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice food, nice people, great atmosphere!
The owners, Italian people, are very kind and friendly, we were greeted with professionalism and good cheer.
The food offered is mainly fish and prawns were fantastic, still I can taste it and it makes me nostalgic for a nice holiday in a context as beautiful.
I received the advice of friends just came on holiday just before me and have been spoken highly of the place.
I thought it was the usual place nice and simple as many in playa del carmen, spend little but get little while so many others to have something more you have to spend a lot, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice and kept very well taken care of in the right place without having to spend too much, the right fit for those who want quality but at a good price!
Then my friends try because you'll be glad!

Andrea