“Breath taking!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$138.99*
and up
Maya Adventure from Playa del Carmen: Coba Ruins, Traditional Village and...
Ranked #6 of 384 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Owner description: COBA MAYAN TRADITIONS is one of the greatest Familiar and Cultural tour in the Riviera Maya! Offers you one of the most authentic insights of the Mayan culture, ancient and actual world in Coba archeological site, a real Mayan Village and a fabulous Cenote. In this tour you will visit the tallest Mayan Pyramid (Nohoch Mul) in the zone. The only one still available to climb nowadays! The view on the top is mesmerizing!! Coba ancient city hosts two courts of the famous and mysterious “Ball game”. After our ancestral Mayan journey, we will transfer to the Mayan contemporary Village. Where our visitors enjoy and have a connection with this unique place inside the rain forest with a local lunch in an ecological restaurant, a Mayan Purification with a Chaman, a visit to the Mayan descendants, a demonstration of the extraction of the “Mayan Gum”. The final activity, we will invite you in to immerse in a wonderful Cenote discovering one of the attractions that you can only find in the Mayan Riviera. Our archeological guides will be your host of the area and country they are very knowledgeable of all the information and service that you can imagine about Mexico. In COBA MAYAN TRADITIONS you will spend the day exploring and embracing the amazing Mayan World!
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was very impressed with Coba...more so than Tulum. I wish we had dedicated more time. It's very expansive...too much to see in just a couple of hours. I climbed the pyramid (you're not allowed to climb most of the other Mayan sites). In a word...spectacular! The way up isn't too bad but coming down is not for the faint hearted. Muster up the courage because the view at the top is indescribable. My only complaint is the lack of signs describing the various structures. In hind sight in wish I had ponied up the extra $50 and hired one of the on site guides. As soon as I got near some wifi I read as much as I could find about this fascinating place. This is a don't miss excursion.

1  Thank cubmanruss

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We traveled here with a tour group. We did not have much time to explore the ruins, due to the activities planned with the tour group. That being said, it took us about two hours to see the two main temples, ball court, and climb to the top of the Ixmoja Pyramid. If we had more time to ourselves, I would have liked to have seen the other minor ruins. I think we could have explored the whole site on our own in three hours

I recommend renting the bikes or hiring a "taxi" bike. Best $8 we spent, it was so fun riding through the jungle. Most of the bikes were for shorter people, but it's a mile ride at the most, so not a big deal.

Definitely climb to the top of Ixmoja. It is steep and a little strenuous, but absolutely worth it. Great view at the top, and it's neat to way to experience history. Bring a bottle of water, you'll be thirsty after your climb!

Don't wear nice or stylish clothes. The shade of the jungle is lovely, and almost cool, but the majority of the ruins are in full sun and it is HOT. You will sweat. Dress in comfortable shoes, shorts, and a breathable shirt! Wear a hat!

I forgot bug spray, but our guide assured us that there were few bugs and because it hadn't rained, there would be no mosquitoes. I was dubious, but she was correct!

2  Thank FutureMrsP2014
Reviewed July 22, 2014

view was spectacular once you've climbed the top of the pyramid. it was so hot and humid but was worth it.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Brilliant day out! The views are breathtaking from the top of the pyramid, it's definitely worth the climb!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I think the best thing about the ruins is that they are still deep in the jungle and mostly undeveloped. We rented a car and drove...easy enough, just remember to hang a left at the round-a-bout...then pretty straight forward...pay to park 40 pesos...buy an entrance ticket...59 pesos (tourists)...and then I recommend getting your own bike 40 pesos (the breeze while riding helps because it's bloody hot there and you can go at your own pace). The ruins are awesome and climbing the largest, Nohoch Mul, is fun in and of itself. All the rest of the ruins are spread out and are easy stops on the way back.

1  Thank firemedicnlv