“Not to be confused with the one on 5th!”

La Parilla de Manolo
Ranked #380 of 1,326 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Pleasant restaurant four different dishes ordered by my family more than we could eat.
very good service. The food was very good. Not one complaint from any member of my
family. Good but stong margaritas!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Let me make clear at the outset, this is about the same restaurant others have have reviewed on 8th, not the "tourist trap" on 5th where the staff apparently where traditional costumes. What makes what follows even more disappointing is that we had taken along a newspaper review which had their address wrong and also pointed that trip advisor also had the wrong block on their website. It appears our attempt at help didn't count for much.

Where to begin? We arrived at the restaurant in a tropical storm, wet through and looking forwards to an enjoyable evening and some great steaks. Part of that happened, the other failed spectacularly.

The service was very good, the place itself has a great atmosphere and, superficially, the staff we friendly and helpful. We ordered two steaks (New York and fillet) which were simply unbelievable. I wouldn't consider myself a "steak person" but these were the best we'd ever had by a mile. We stayed in Buenes aries for a while and these left anything we had there way behind. Washed down with an excellent Aberdeen Angus Malbec and all was good - it had even stopped raining!

It was when the bill was presented the problems started. We had a figure in mind and the amount asked for was 50% more. Having checked it several times, the older waiter (I later got his name but it probably isn't his proper one) was asked across to check it. Cue an acting performance de Niro would have been proud of. First, it was a computer error - the bill was hand written........ Then he'd mistakenly charged us for the wrong steaks etc etc.

I got a menu and asked him to run through it with me (photos of both bills uploaded to show how the complex first one was aimed to confuse). Between us we agreed an overcharge of around 400 pesos. The funny thing was he still had the temerity to add on the service charge!! Needless to say, we didn't pay it.

We left feeling very frustrated. The food was so good we'd planned to a) leave a good tip anyway and b) return the following night. Because of one mans greed (I felt sorry for the other younger waiter as none of this was his doing) neither of those things happened.

My advice is, if you decide to go, check your bill very, very carefully. We did and it turned what would have been a five star review into a one star one.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

* WARNING * Many reviewers here have uploaded photos and reviewed the entirely WRONG restaurant. THIS IS NOT 'La Parilla' on 5th, that tourist trap with copious serving ladies dressed in traditional costume and marauding bands of mariarchi.

It is however a very charming Argentinian steakhouse. We have been coming and going from Playa del Carmen for the past six years or so, and we have followed this place through two relocations. It is currently on 8th, actually between 10th and 15th. (I think the above address is incorrect). On the corner behind the 'Plaza Pelicanos' building which has Blockbusters and Santander (?) bank at the front. Near the town hall and central plaza.

The steaks are so far the best and most consistent we have found in Playa. Last week we also ate at the Playa restaurant ranked #1 on Tripadvisor, my husband had the steak, I asked him whether it was better than Manolo's and he said no! Although excellent, Manolo still had the edge.

We always order 'lomo' which is a filet mignon. They come large and tall, just how I like them. We always have them 'rojo' or rare, which for me is perfect, not cold in the middle, a little bloody, but not much. Succulent, melt in the mouth and grilled to perfection. There are various sauces available, but as a creature of habit, I always have the black pepper. I find this is one of the best complementary sauces for steak. It comes with fries, baked or mash potato. I go mash, hubby goes fries!

Before our mains arrive we are always presented with fresh baked rolls from the oven and a selection of dipping sauces. The best is the 'chimichurri' which is an argentinian sauce made from parsley, olive oil, garlic and oregano. This is the one we crave, but be careful not to fill up on it before your mains arrive as it is so moreish.

Manolo, being Argentinian, also has a great wine selection. We normally choose a Malbec or Cabernet sauvignon. He normally has great wines such as Altos las Hormigas, Norton, Postales fin del Mundo. These are all consistently good, are amazing with steak and are reasonably priced. Which goes for this place as a whole, compared to the touristic places on 5th, this is a few footsteps away and half the cost, well worth checking it out.

I have been there some nights and he has had a guitarist, local chap called Gerry, who is actually pretty good, he does classic covers of bands, and Pink Floyd when we ask him! This is probably Saturday nights, I can't remember! Makes for a great atmosphere. There are tables undercover and outside also. It is on the street but as it is Calle 8, there is minimal passing traffic, it doesn't affect the dining experience.

Note, I have also been there with vegetarian friends who eat fish, they have a fish special.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Had stopped by earlier to see what grilled fish they had. Asked for Snapper and they said come back a little later and I did. Had a great large fillet cooked in garlic. Wife had chicken brochette which was moist and tasty. Recommend this inexpensive Mexican style restaurant.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had dinner here while shopping 5th Avenue. It was the best tortilla soup and chicken enchiladas we have ever had! The melted cheese appetizer was amazing as well.