“Beyond a doubt best dive experience ever!”
Review of Beyond Diving

Beyond Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Come dive in beautiful Playa del Carmen with us. We offer all levels of SDI scuba diving training up to instructor levels, TDI Cave and technical diving training, cavern to full cave guided dives, Cozumel Direct trips, local ocean reef diving, bull shark diving, and a whole lot more! . We are true professionals who love what we do, and do what we love. Come join us!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

What a great diving experience! Reached out to Eric a couple weeks before arriving in PDC to work out the details of the trip. Eric was responsive, thorough, flexible, and refreshingly honest. He really made me feel like he was putting the divers safety first and wanted to create great diving experiences.

I'm already certified and my fiancee was getting her OWD certification. She had a bad experience with an instructor near our home so I was a little anxious about who I wanted her to work with. I know now I couldn't have picked anyone better to work with her.

This is the fiancee speaking...Erik was fantastic! I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive about diving. It isn't always easy learning something new in your forties and beyond. However, Erik's calm demeanor, encouragement, positive affirmation, and support was just what I needed. During the pool session to practice and accomplish the necessary skills, Erik put me at ease and moved at my pace. During the pool session and in the open water, I never felt pressure, I only felt support and encouragement. I got my certification in two days! (My determination coupled with Erik's training and support!)

Also, Erik has top-notch equipment, a great location in downtown Playa, and, most importantly, he has a beautiful wife and business partner--his wife Sandra. Sandra also went out of her way to make me and my fiance comfortable. She was friendly, supportive, and encouraging. We look forward to diving with Erik again and continuing a lifelong friendship.

Me speaking again. Eric's rental equipment is top notch. I have rented gear at a lot of places and by far his is the best. Not just new, but something you would actually buy for yourself. I have been to several dive shops in Playa and Beyond Diving is not just the easiest to get to but unlike many of the shops actually has parking.

I found Eric and Sandra have created an experience that is all that you could hope for. They are responsive, flexible, innovative, passionate and care enough to make sure you have the dive you want safely.

Will recommend them to all our friends.

Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you Keith and Tracy! It was great seeing Tracy transform and get more and more comfortable in the water as we progressed with her course. Come back soon! We miss you guys already!

All reviews
"in great shape"
"erik"
in 102 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The first week in August my family and I made our yearly trip from western New York to Playacar. This year I decided to try another dive shop. I got in touch with a few shops and ended up with Beyond Diving. I hit the jackpot. Diving with Eirk was a great experience.

When I contacted Eirk I was very specific about what I wanted to do. All the other shops we’re trying to get me to do the whales sharks and whatever else they were pushing at the time. Not Eirk, he was able to deliver exactly what I wanted to dive and the days I wanted.
Eirk took my son and I on 4 reef dives, 1 night dive and 2 cenote dives. Every dive was great.

Eirk’s wife Sandra, the boss was wonderful and went out of her way to make our diving experience one to remember. My son and I talked about this years diving and we both agreed that Beyond Diving would be our dive shop in Playa del Carmen. I can’t wait until next year.

Don and Ben

Thank you Don! it was a blast diving with you guys! Those evil lionfish never knew what hit them. Next time, we'll clean 'em and cook 'em! I am glad we were able to get your camera rod back and back in your hands. See you next summer pal (or sooner if we do meet at BTS)!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I visited Playa del Carmen recently with my daughter, and had an amazing opportunity to get to know beautiful places with Beyond Diving. This was my daughter's first time diving and Eric was very patient and extremely knowledgeable. He made us feel very safe at all times and we got detailed feedback on how to make this an enjoyable experience. As of today my daughter is still talking about her dive at the Cenote, and we hope to be back soon.

Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you Gerardo! It was my pleasure an honor to have you and Gloria as my students. We hope next time you'll come with a bit more time and we'll get to do some more diving. In the meantime, keep diving. You guys have the innate skills to be great divers!

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently did 5 days of diving with Eric who owns Beyond Diving. I did 3 days of cenote diving and 2 days of drift diving with them, and it is the best dive shop I have ever been to. They are small in size but big on safety, quality and service. I decided to not bring my gear with me, and the gear I got from them is awesome. I got an apeks regulator, a backplate/wing since thats what I dive at home and it all looked brand new. Eric went above and beyond (no pun intended) to take me places that he knew were not going to be too crowded, and his wife had just baked some cupcakes the night before and she brought me a couple to try out. They were delicious! Also, they dont set a time limit on the dives as long as we dont come close to ndl. I'll be back next year and i will be diving with them!

Thanks Joe! It was awesome diving with you! I hope that next summer we can convince Brenda to give up the snorkel and take on diving. Good luck Pal!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I dove two days with Erik (1 day Cenotes and 1 day reef dives) and booked a Whale Shark Snorkel trip through his dive shop. I would highly recommend them for anyone interested in diving in Playa Del Carman area. I am a pretty experienced diver (600+ dives and did my Dive Master 13 years ago) and was very impressed with the shop and Erik as a guide.

I did my first Cenote dive at Los Ojos with him, he gave a great pre-dive briefing going over safety stuff, spotted the leak from the first stage of my regulator (that I had just had work done on before this trip) as soon as we entered the water, and swapped out my equipment so we could do the dive. He did a great job on the dive, keeping an eye on me (he noticed whenever I stopped to clear my mask, or adjust buoyancy) and would check to make sure I was ok, but otherwise gave me plenty of space so I didn't feel rushed, and could enjoy the experience at my own pace.
We got to the Cenote before most of the other shops in order to beat the crowd which worked out great. Second dive at Los Ojos was also great, and he was terrific at answering questions I had about cave diving procedures and equipment as well as the site itself. When we got back to the shop, he spent 45 minutes figuring out what was wrong with my regulator, showing me what he was checking and why, found the problem, fixed it, and retested the regulator to make sure it was working fine before my next dive.

Second day of diving was drift dives on the reef, we saw turles, eagle ray, lobster, moray eels, a school of squid, and plenty of fish. Predive briefing was excellent, and once we were in the water he was fine with me setting the pace again, letting me lead when I wanted to which I appreciated since I enjoy looking for and finding moray eels and other creatures hiding out on my own. He also kept an eye out in case I missed something, calling me over to see a school of squid swimming by that I would not have spotted and showing me one really big moray eel in a hiding spot I would not have found. We shared a dive boat with another group, but again it was just the two of us together in the water which was much nicer than being in a large group.

When I asked about what other dives he would recommend, he was knowledgeable about the Dive sites and operators in Cozumel, and gave me some recommendations since I would be going there next and it would be cheaper to do those dives once I was there instead of taking the ferry back and forth. He then gave me some other ideas including the Whale Shark adventure which sounded great to me. The shop arranged my trip via Ocean Tours and I had a terrific day snorkeling with whale sharks. Erik and his wife made sure I had their cell phone numbers in case any problems came up and asked me to let them know what I thought since they had switched to booking with Ocean Tours recently. They chose well, the tour and whole experience was better than I had expected, great boat, fantastic guides, an amazing snorkeling experience, and great customer service. Everyone who booked through their hotels paid higher prices than I got through Erik, which was a nice surprise at the end of the day.

When I come back to Playa, I will have my girlfriend get her certification with Erik, and see if her son and daughter want to try a discover scuba experience. I am even considering signing up for a cave dive course.

Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review Chris. It has a been a real pleasure having you around for the past few days. I am glad I was able to get your regulator fixed up. Sandra and I really look forward to you coming back soon.