“What you need to know...”
Review of Quinta Avenida

Quinta Avenida
Book In Advance
More Info
$79.00*
and up
Tulum, Wayak Cenote and Playa del Carmen Tour from Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: The Five AvenueThe most Important street in Mexico, you can find Shopping, Souvenirs, Jewelry stores,Bars, etc.
Harrison, Arkansas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“What you need to know...”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

There are alot of neat things about 5th avenue - the street performers (saw a fire twirler, guys costumed as Mayans, a guy with monkeys and a guy with a lemur that you could have your picture taken with), the cobblestone streets,and the lively atmosphere. The negatives are that the prices in the shops are usually higher than on 10th avenue (the rent costs them more on 5th, I'm sure), it is somewhat of a hassle to walk down the avenue with so many merchants trying to get you to "come see my store" The other thing you need to know is this: if you're staying at an all inclusive and wearing a wrist band, some of the merchants will lie and tell you they were your waiter at the resort you were staying at (ie..."hey lady, it's me Roberto, you know - your waiter from the Gran Porto Real. Come see my store.) At first, I was confused because I didn't remember him being my waiter but I couldn't figure out how he knew where we were staying. Then I remembered the wrist band. They can identify your resort from the wrist band and I heard this phrase used repeatedly - not just on me but on several others as well so beware.

Visited December 2013

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Love Shopping here.”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Love all the little shops with real Mexican goods and the friendliness of all the people along the way. I am hoping that they will not allow any more big malls to be build, this takes away from the ambience of 5th avenue. We do not come to Playa del Carmen to see exactly the same stores we have at home!!!!!

1 Thank Janine P
Oak Harbor, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Expect to get hassled”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I think the trip up and down 5th is worth it, just to see what the local tourist trap area is. We had numerous people that were a little to aggressive with their sales pitch, and that became offputting after awhile. We were offered everything from Cuban cigars, to illegal drugs. Not my favorite part of Playa.

1 Thank Matt C
Fredericksburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth visiting”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Worth visiting. Great to walk at night, to window shop, and to negotiate for some souvenirs. Some of the restaurants are great, but also try some places off this strip to get more delicious and much cheaper meals!

1 Thank VAAngieB
Burnaby, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Get north of 18th and you'll like it better”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We walked up and down 5th a couple of times and really hated it because of all the aggressive shopkeepers. Some will pretend to recognize you from your hotel - if you have a wristband on try to hide it so they can't play that game. We were looking for Casa del Habano and finally found it at 5th and about 28th. That part of 5th is very nice - good shopping, no hassles, some nice restaurants. Once you get back towards the taxi stand at 18th, the hassles start again.

1 Thank brnbygrl