“Always Amazing and Economical”
Review of La Exquisita de la 38 - CLOSED

La Exquisita de la 38
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This restaurant is definitely a must if you want to really try local food. We have never been let down eating here and when our guests come to visit its always a big hit. Their Tortas (sandwiches) are great for a take away on the beach and their bottled fresh fruit juices quench your thirst. I recommend to always try their special of the day and Thursday's you can enjoy their bottomless bowl of Pozole (Chicken, Pork and Corn Soup). They use ancient Yucatan recipes that really sets it apart from the rest of the restaurants. Even if you are staying near the centre of the city its not a far walk at all. Enjoy!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Two out of three excellent items are not bad but some items are definitely not outstanding at La Exquisita. During our trip we had 1) take-out cochinita pibil which we had with soft tortillas and red onions at home, 2) burritos, and 3) the torte cochinita pibil. The take out cochinita pibil was excellent and I recommend it highly. My husband, a "connoisseur" of burritos, declared La Exquisita's as ampng the best he had ever had. However, the torte cochinita pibil was a big disappointment--too much bread and too little cochinita pibil. Avoid this option but you are safe with the other choices described here. There is no ambience so plan to place your order to go.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

we are having a tour on east mexico, from ciudad de mexico to yucatan, and this rare restaurant has been the best since we started our vacations.
all the places we visited were comfortable and very good looking, and when arrived to la exquisita we first thought i for a while... great decision to stay !!
actually, we had the most special and surprising dinner of the trip.
we ordered the cochinita tacos as the waiter said it was the speciality, and it was so delicious. need to order two more to satisfy my craving !!
the green sauce mole was also amazing and the corn dessert very fresh and delicate.
really a very special place.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

not easy to find but higly recomended, this mexican antojeria was a great option in playa del carmen. i went with some friends who was in love with the place, and i had a surprising gourmet experience in this unexpected terrace. This is really a great place if you are interested in real home made mexican flavors as they are, without concessions and full of diversity and richness.
The black sauce with bthe chicken was my top, and the pork very very special. Great surprise !!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place is great for what it is. It's not trying to be an upscale, classy place. It's more street food style, and it hit the nail on the head.

We are American and speak virtually no Spanish. No worries, our server took the time to explain the entire menu to us in English. The server made us feel very comfortable. The service was absolutely part of the excellence of this place.

As others mentioned, basically they have tables set up in the parking lot. If you are looking for ambiance, this probably isn't the place for you.

The food. We tried all five of the tacos. This stuff seemed as authentic as you are going to find. The server explained the history of the styles. And the flavors....all I can say is wow! We also had some bean cake type appetizer that I wish I had more of. The meal included condiments of pickled onions, fresh chopped onions, fresh chopped coriander (cilantro?), two extremely hot have do sauces (whoa they were good) and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Again, this place seems like the place to go if you want to escape the tourist trap type meals and want an authentic experience. Top notch, I'd go back without hesitation.