“STAY AWAY!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Winnipeg,MB, CANADA
“STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Got ripped off here the day we arrived in Playa Del Carmen. Just wanted to relax and have a nice lunch and a drink on the beach and didn't think to question the menu and/or prices - big mistake! We (2 of us) ordered a beer, a strawberry margarita, a small guacamole, and chicken fajitas to share - total $61USD. The margarita tasted like a cheap chemical concoction (not a real strawberry to be found), the beer was barely cold, the guacamole was "okay" at best, and the chicken fajitas were tasteless and had almost no onion or green pepper. All in all this place was, in our opinion, just there to rip off unsuspecting tourists and in no way intends to plan on repeat customers. We witnessed numerous "ticked off" customers leave the place very unhappy with the food and prices and one table of six just got up and left after looking at the prices. Overheard another table tell the waiter (after ordering one round of drinks) that they would like to stay but the prices were too ridiculous - they left after only the first round.

We wanted to be sure to post a review to warn others of this "tourist trap" by posting this review. As the title says, our recommendation is to STAY AWAY at all cost. There are plenty of other places to enjoy a bite and drink at very reasonable prices.....just not here!

• Visited February 2013

austin, tx
“Overpriced, didn't accept credit card”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place was way beyond overpriced for the quality. Standard fish plate is between $23-35 USD...you are expecting some grand plate to arrive...um, NO. Looks like something I might make at home with my small frozen portions. The mango and fish ceviche was actually good and the small portion was quite filling. I also had the lime soup which they call "the best in Mexico." Poor Mexico. Drinks...extremely overpriced...$16 margaritas, with no kick. One fish entree, one small ceviche and one small bowl of chicken soup, 2 drinks came to $80 USD. Outrageous! the best part, the guy keeps saying they won't take credit card, so most of the cash we had on hand ended up going here...leaving us with just enough money to take the bus back to Cancun and not much else. RIP-OFF...and what kinda restaurant in Playa doesn't take Credit card??? We also had to hunt down the waiter b/c we were ready to leave and after asking every other server in sight to either get us our ticket or our waiter, we finally had to stand up and act as if we were leaving to get them to bring the check. The only saving grace to this place is the awesome beach view.

• Visited December 2012
New Orleans
“The Worst I have ever had!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

When you look up tourist trap in the dictionary, this place should appear. Let me start by saying that I have traveled all over U.S., Central America and Italy and this place wins at the worst dining experience I have ever had. THE ONLY thing it has going for it is the view on the beach in Playa del Carmen close to the Ferry. Service was OK, the food was horrible, the drinks expensive and the prices are a crime. We had to plates of Garlic Shrimp (six shrimp you had to peel yourself with rice and a little veggie.) 3 Shrimp nachos ( a few decent grilled shrimp on tortilla chips coverend in runny black beans and something I could not decide if it was Cheez Whiz or Playground nacho cheese) and one plate of enchiladas. Beers were two for one so we got around 8 and 3 margaritas, two guacamole appetizers between 6 people. GUESS HOW MUCH??? $309.00 US!!! In the land of tourist traps, this place gives rip off a new meaning!!!
If you go don't say you weren't warned.

• Visited November 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Great location - tolerable food - nonexistent service”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

After our trip through Mexico we stayed in Playa for 5 nights. There' lots of restaurant options. Many of them tourist traps.

We were strolling around the ferry area when we felt thirsty and a bit hungry. We spotted this place, right on the beach and thought we give it a chance.

Well, the start was alright. We got a good table right at the oceanfront. We ordered a - quite pricey - bucket of beer. That was alright. Then we had some shrimp with that. It took quite a while until we were served. The shrimp were very bland and not really warm. And fresh??? I don't think so...probably frozen food.

The manager here also has a "great" idea...he comes to take pics of the customers and then he prints them (in a matter of minutes) on a tequila bottle as a souvenir. Ok, that might be interesting for some, but I didn't really like it....felt a little pressured. But I didn't buy it anyways. It's not the kind of Tequila I drink.

After an hour or so we wanted to pay and leave. Still a bit hungry, but the Shrimp showed us that probably the rest of the menu isn't really good either. So we asked for the bill. And waited....after about 15min we asked again....and waited. About another 20min later we called again....then they said that they still didn't finish doing the bill yet....??? I mean, we had a bucket of beer and some shrimp. How long can that take to finish? Picasso and Van Gogh did paintings faster than they do the bill here.
In the end it did arrive after about 50min altogether. Wasted time for us. The location here is great...and it looks like that's enough for the management. The food...forettable. The service? Good luck...!!
We surely won't be back here. Looking for a great place on the beach? Head a few blocks north and get a table at the "Fusion".

Wanna know more about my trips? Check my profile (where you'll also find my website with more info about my trips).

• Visited August 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Tourist Trap!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My fiance and I were lured in to this restaurant because of two things - (1) it was right on the beach and (2) they had good specials. We ended up paying more than $40 for a meal I can't believe they had the audacity to serve. We ordered ceviche. They used imitation crab with shrimp that absolutely had to have been frozen and out of a bag. For a restaurant sitting smack dab on the beach, it's insulting and unbelievable that they can't or won't get the seafood available to them a few steps away. We also ordered guacamole - I would say the worst I have ever tasted. It was from a bag, I have no doubt. Do not be fooled by this place! If you want really good seafood, seafood that you can taste was caught that day and is super fresh and delicious, then do yourself a favor and go down the street to Aguachiles. Now that is seafood the way it's supposed to be done.

• Visited August 2012