“A pleasant surprise”

Hotel Hacienda del Caribe
Ranked #114 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Having read the recent reviews, I was a bit uneasy to discover I would be staying here for three nights. But I was actually pleased with what I found. I had two different rooms, one on the third floor and one on the second. Both were perfectly acceptable, with plenty of space, working AC, nice shower with good water pressure and good housekeeping. And, of course, a wonderful location just off 5th ave. There was a lot of work going on while I was there to spruce up the place--painting and repair as far as I could see. The front desk always had beach towels available and the one time I asked and they were out, someone went and got one right away. There was always someone on duty at the desk and they always seemed pleasant and accommodating. It is true that there is no restaurant or bar at the hotel, but, with all the choice around the corner, that was no drawback. I only had two complaints (aside form the general complaint I have about most hotels I have stayed in--no decent reading light). The sheets need updating. The ones in the first room I had were old and stained. And the second night I was there, a family with a couple of small kids were checking in when I got back to the hotel about 10:00. We had an early day the next day so we wanted to go to bed early, but this family got into the pool in the courtyard about 10:30 and the kids were shrieking and laughing until after midnight. The sounds just echoed in the open space on the courtyard. I wish whoever was on duty as the desk had said something.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LNinWI

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hotel Hacienda del Caribe in Play del Carmen is another hotel to avoid. When we checked in the room they gave us only had a single small ceiling light, no bedside or other lights at all in the room. When we asked for another room the clerk told us they were full but when I mentioned that I saw three rooms right next to us empty she finally allowed us to switch. That room only had two towels, no face towels, washcloths, shower mats or floor towels. We aked for a hand towel and a bath mat that was frayed and thin. The TV is fuzzy and no English channels. Next morning breakfast was 4 ½ block away in another hotel and was a continental breakfast; juice, fruit, coffee, and toast. There were no eggs, sausages, ham or pancakes.

The Internet connected only in the lobby. When we asked for beach towels, they only had one to give us even though they had offered them earlier and the hotel was mostly empty. The small pool was in the centre of the hotel like a hacienda but they only had three chairs and when I asked if they could find me some more, as those three were taken, I was told that there were no more.

If this is an example of an average 3 star hotel, I seriously think the people who rate hotels need to re-evaluate how it rating system works, they really missed to the boat on this one.

What is a shame on this is that the hotel is actually very attractive and well equipped with décor and Mexican art. The rooms are large and while its not on the ocean, its a short walk away. This a classic example of how a little better service including staff training and proper supplies could turn this hotel around and make all the difference. What a shame that people will read this and the other negative reviews and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank kayakchick
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had high hopes for this place, due to its more authentic architecture, and perfect location, close to the bars, restaurants, beaches and shops. Unfortunately our Mexican Travel Agent had gone bust, taking our money with it (apparently) so didn't get off on good foot after 2 hors of unhelpful, disinterested staff. The rooms were very dark, with no natural sunlight (only windows were 20cm forom a stone wall) The room was so damp, nothing ever dried, sheets felt damp, and I ended up with a chest infection. Shower was hot and powerful (it did dretly spray the light switch though!) - (Damp) towels provided. No breakfast. Bar, although has great saddle seats, wasn't trading, and pool was too small, shading and public to want to swim in. Has potential, but for the first time ever, I wud not recommend this hostal.

Room Tip: Don't go for ground floor rooms...they are damp and have no windows
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WorldMoocher
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed one night and could not stay any longer. The room was old and in need of work. Bathroom tiles were broken and dirty. The door was thin and did not feel safe. When we came back late the guard was lying on the bench sleeping. The swimming pool is very small and I don't think I would use it. The internet only worked in the entry.

I've stayed in a number of hotels all over the Yucatan and am not a resort kind of person, but I can't recommend this small hotel.

I would say the stay are nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luckytravel7
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I needed a room for a few nights before we checked in at our timeshare. Our rate did not include breakfast so I can't comment on that. Many great restaurants close by. When we arrived they could not find our expedia reservation, but they got us checked in, and were able to solve the issue the next day. This is a basic, no frills hotel. It was very clean. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had a king size bed on the second floor towards the back of the building. It was quiet and restful. The window looked out into the interior courtyard of the hotel. Some of the towels had been well used. It was very rainy one night and we stayed in and watched tv. There were a few english speaking channels. The internet worked best down in the lobby by the front desk--no connection in our room- but I spend very little time on line while on vacation. I liked the feel of the hotel--- brightly painted walls, live hanging plants, sitting spaces in the interior courtyard, and a security guard on duty in the evenings. The pool is small but we are beach people so that is not an important feature for us. We were able to leave our luggage at the front desk the day we checked out and came back and retrieved it that evening. We would definitely stay here again - the price was right and it is in a convenient location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovewarmwintertravel
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed here between 3-13 December 2013 and this was the first hotel during our Mexico holiday. Accommodation price was very cheap, rooms are big enough and clean. If you travel with children dont choose the standard 2 beds room because you will not find enough closets in the room. choose a suit instead. Air con worked perfectly. Tv is very small and unenjoyable in every room. No any service in the hotel only a very small pool (we never used it). Breakfast was included but they serve it in a 'sister' hotel which is 3 blocks away (10 min walk) and contains a coffee and some bread. I dont know exectly because never ate b'fast there. When we went there first time the restaurant was not even prepared for it so we had to wait in a hot and humid ( no air con) place which they called restaurant. Got unpatient after 10 min and left this 'sister' hotel. Much nicer to hv b'fast outside in some of those nice restaurants on 5 th Ave. This hotel has perfect location, bus terminal and ferry station (to Cozumel) just few mins walk away. Restaurants, shops, bars everywhere on 5th Avenue, our favorite was the La Vagabunda restaurant ( also close to this hotel).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Barbi L
Reviewed December 4, 2013

on tripadvisor.ca internet site it has a special rate advertised from hostlebookers.com. we booked with them for the hacienda del Caribe in playa del carmen and 4 days later phoned the hotel hasienda del Caribe wanting to confirm the reservation. they had never heard of the company and had no reservation for us. when we contacted hostlebookers.com in English they sent back an answer in Spanish which we do not read even though they are a british registered company or so trip advisor states. did I get scammed for the booking fee and will we have a room in playa on arrival. who wants that stress? also trip advisor could list the hotels phone number being they are a trip advisor.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple