“ideal place to stay”
Review of Maya Bric Hotel

Maya Bric Hotel
Ranked #173 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This hotel is good value for money, clean, comfortable, in a great location with great service. The only small criticism would be that you can hear some noise at night, but I cant imagine there are many hotels on avenida 5 where you can't. I would definitely reccommend this place to friends.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ooreflex

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Well this is roughing it
No tv
Rooms are clean but no safe in rooms that work

Toilets are bD you can't throw tp in so Wipe and put in garbage.

Doors are bad. To room loose locks
Door to toilet is bad

Loud music all night next door

I was in room 12 second floor
The good
For $60 you can get better a night

Pool is ok. But cloudy water. Hmmm. Bacteria....

Free breakfast
Yes. And good
Internet. Yes and free. But cuts out on my iPhone all the time
One tv next to pool I spent alot of time at

A bed
That isn't soft

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank flyguy747
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Yurij was most gracious and helpful and multilingual.
Hotel very clean, soft cotton sheets, 24 hour hot water, good ventilation, a safe and a dead bolt.
Really what else is there.
Sheila

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MinnesotaBeekeeper
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Have stayed here twice, most recently for New Year's week and was happy to find a well-priced room at Maya Bric. Is excellently located for walking along 5th Avenue, finding restaurants, getting to the beach, walking to the bus stop or ferry port south, etc.
For New Year's week the area is quite loud at night so be ready for that everywhere.
Pool area in the inner courtyard is nice, but most people are there for the beaches, watersports, etc. Beds are the typical Mexico B&B type - harder than a Sheraton or something. No frills in the room, except perhaps the daily towel animal left on the bed.
The staff is helpful should you want help, an excursion, or a booking. Remember you must pay in cash, USD or pesos.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I booked a stay with the Hotel Maya Bric in Playa Del Carmen for 7 nights in Aug 2010 for the amount of $45 dollars per night for myself and my friend.

After my friend and I arrived in Playa Del Carmen, we discussed our itinerary and decided that it might be best to stay one night in a town by Chichen Itza. When checking in, we asked the receptionist at the front desk of Maya Bric whether it would be possible to change our reservation because we were still unsure as to our itinerary. She said that it was possible to pay by the day, since we didn't know if we would be staying in playa del carmen for the entire week. She never spoke of any financial ramifications due to the change in reservation. She then allowed us to pay for our first night in pesos for the night. We stayed at the Maya Bric Hotel for one night, and checked out the next day at noon since we found the hotel to be rather basic.

However, the day after I returned home from my trip I received my credit bill and saw that the Maya Bric Hotel has charged me $341.37, for a whole week's stay. In the hotel policy that I read online and in email from BOOKING.COM the hotel policy says:

-Deposit-100% of the first night will be charged on the day of booking and is refundable
-Cancellation policy if canceled up to 2 days before date of arrival, no fee will be charged.
-Cancellation policy if canceled later or in case of no-show, the first night will be charged

Since my friend and I did stay for one night, I assumed the cancellation policy did not apply, and if it did, we had fulfilled it since we did indeed stay one night at the Maya Bric.

After many calls to the Maya Bric, with little to no success, either having messages taken down, or not speaking to the manager at all, I enlisted the help of the people at BOOKING.COM (the site I used to book this hotel). Well, they called multiple times to plead on my behalf, and the manager refused to reimburse me for my money. The hotel manager stated that they have an INTERNAL cancellation policy that states they can charge the guest the full amount of their reservation, even though I was never informed of this when speaking directly with the receptionist regarding reservation changes.

Long story short, this place was dishonest in their financial dealings, leaving little to no recourse for the customer. I highly advise budget travelers look to other hotels for their stay in Playa Del Carmen, as this place is not nearly as nice as other hotels in the area for the same cost!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank bsky456
Reviewed September 17, 2010

To give an idea of context for this review, we were a group of 3 girls (aged 20, 31 & 32)spending 5 weeks travelling through Central America. We didn't fancy roughing it in hostels, but at the same time we were on a budget and couldnt afford to splurge.
We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 1st August 2010.

Location: Amazing location! We arrived in Playa on the ADO bus and it was about 5 minute walk from the bus station to the hotel. The hotel is literally right on the busy main strip of Playa del carmen (restaurants, shops, Starbucks), just one row back from the beach. The beach there is beautiful and the weather was fantastic (in fact it got a bit too hot). Despite being central, when you walk through the lobby to the back (where the rooms are), the noise of people seems to vanish and you are in a gorgeous little garden oasis with a small pool and tables and chairs to sit out.

Room: The room had a damp musty smell, that wasnt unbearable, but it was enough that we could smell it on our bedclothes when we took them out at the next place after this that we stayed. We had a room with 2 double beds and a/c. The bathroom was partitioned off from the main room but its walls didnt reach the ceiling fully (2-3 foot gap at the top) if that makes sense, so it wasnt exactly noise-private.
Also the room had a/c, which was much needed, but it was antiquated and RIDICULOUSLY loud! I'm not a light sleeper and have never been bothered by a/c in the past, but this was so loud it was like you were on a plane. It meant that we had to wear ear plugs in the end as it was too hot to sleep without it on. I dont know if all the rooms are like that though, we might have just been unlucky.
The shower was fine except that they seem to have a limited hot water supply as by the time I took a shower after my friends one day, the water was freezing cold.
Otherwise the room was clean and felt safe.

Breakfast: Not included.

Price: For our stay, double rooms with a/c were 660 pesos a night and with fan 600 pesos per night, but I strongly recommend you get the a/c -just remember your ear plugs! Each additional person (over 2 people) is 160 pesos/night. We booked direct with the hotel via mail (info@mayabrichotel.com) and were going to pay on credit card, but when we arrived we were told that the credit card charge had gone up from 4.5% to something crazy like 15%, so paid by cash instead.

Tips: Round the corner from the hotel (turn left out of the hotel and then your next left towards the beach) is a restaurant called Season Bistro whcih I highly recommend. The waitress was amazing, the food was delicious, we were offered a free drink with our meal (my friend chose red wine and must have got over 1/3 of a bottle in her glass!) and the total bill for 3 (3 main courses) came to just 460 pesos (£23).

The staff here were great and so long as you dont mind the smell and the a/c noise, its a good, cheap enough place to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank doublechoc-chip
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The hotel is in an ideal spot on 5th street.... Near the nightlife, beach, shops, restaurants, even near the bus station. The hotel is so solid that no noise is heard. The pool area is gorgeous and well kept. The rooms are basic, roomy, comfortable - perfect for Playa del Carmen. "Extras", i.e. TV, are available upon request. Hmmm, I wonder if they have A/C remotes. Our sink didn't have hot and cold water, but the water temp was always perfect.... I was the only one that even noticed the one knob. Yes, you have to put your t.p. in the waste basket, but you should ALWAYS do that ANYWHERE in Playa - even the expensive hotels. The staff speaks English, French, and of course-Spanish(and probably more). Great Place!!! Very Safe!!! Much of their clientele are divers - good people from around the world.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family