“An Amazing Experience!”

Tropical Escape Hotel
Ranked #192 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I had my wedding in Playa del Carmen in early November 2009 and we chose for our family and friends to stay at Tropical Casablanca Hotel. We took over the hotel, reserving all the rooms in addition to the 6 bedroom villa (which is a beautifully decorated, modern home in the middle of the hotel). We were a very diverse group to say the least. All different ages, interestes, coming from cities all over the U.S. and England.

Nicola and her staff at TCB took care of every last detail: booking activities for almost 100 people that included scuba diving, snorkelling, dinner outings, yoga, and spa services. Stocking our Villa refrigerator with beverages and constantly providing homemade food throughout the day (think huevos, guacamole, ceviche, quesadillas, pasta!). Each guest even had a customized welcome packet with their name on it, including all the scheduled activities and events, a welcome letter, a map of Playa and even a book of what the city of offers.

There are many hotels to choose from in Playa but this was by far the most welcoming, hospitable, genuine staff I have seen... and I travel a lot and stay in hotels all over the world! As the bride I was able to completely relax, assured that all of my guests' needs were taken care of and that their happiness was TCB's number one priority.

I could not have asked for a better week and so much is owed to Nicola and TCB for their unparalleled hospitality.

I would most definitely recommend you experience TCB. And if you have an event that you're planning, they're a great team to help to you pull it off!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 22, 2009

I am presently planning my spring vacation, and this will be my forth stay with the fantastic people at TCB. Last fall I made a trip to Belize, via Playa del Carmen and this year I'm heading to Tikal in Guatamaula. So why stop at Tropical Casablanca? First of all I know whatever happens on the rest of my trip it will start and end on a high note.
Whether you are new to TCB or a return visiter you are treated like an old friend.
On my last trip I had three primary objectives, get to the Belize, where I already had reservations, seek out and find the best of Mexican wines and spend a few days diving with the Abyss dive shop. (part of the hotel)
Nicola and her crew took care of the first two, setting me up with the bus service to the border and researching what was available in town as far as Mexican wines. (a little known secret but there are some very good ones.)
As far as the diving is concerned, Dave and his staff are the best dive shop in town. Small groups and friendly caring staff guarantee a safe and enjoyable trip, whether in the ocean or the cenotes.
TCB is a great place to unwind and slow down to Mexican time. It's like a little oasis in the middle of Playa del Carmen, one block from the beach, close to 5 th but still far enough removed that you are not in the center of the all night craziness that exists in some areas.
I know that Dave and Nicola both spend time training their staff, but more importantly they seem to be able to attract and keep people who think like they do. As a result they have built a business that from the owners to the night watchman really care about their customers.
There are many places to stay in Playa del Carmen, but if you want a small, clean, cheerful place where you are treated like family and not just another number, try the Tropical CasaBlanca.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I stayed at TCB because my friends stayed there previously and had already booked their room for this trip. I trusted their opinion and went ahead and booked a room for myself.

My week at the TCB was wonderful! The staff and owner went out of their way to make me feel at home and were incredibly attentive to my every needs, even ones I didn't know I had.

The location is incredible and the hotel is tastefully decorated, very minimalist and easy on the eyes. The property is also very clean, the rooms are spacious and kept incredibly clean.

The little bar next to the reception, The Dirty Martini, is also very nice and it was great to have a drink there before going out for dinner. Great drinks and friendly staff.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't very nice during the week we were there but thankfully we were diving so it didn't matter too much. Which leads me to The Abyss, the dive shop, that is part of the TCB property. The combination of the hotel and the dive shop meant I could wake up at a leisurely time, have a coffee and step into the shop to get suited up while still holding on to my TCB cup of coffee! The dive shop staff was wonderful as well, but I'll provide them with a glowing review on their own.

I'll definetely be back and would recommend TCB to anyone looking for a nice hotel in Playa.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lulu123Victoria
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We stayed here for two nights in Dec 2008.

The rooms and facility are nice. Our room had a fridge but no tv. We stayed in four hotels during our trip to PDC/Tulum, and this is the only hotel that provided complimentary shampoo/conditioner. However, we did notice a little bit of smell coming from the restroom (toilet). At night, the staff light candles and place them outside.

The staff is extra friendly. They went the extra mile--held our suitcases for us after checking out so that we could go on a day trip and even prevented the police from giving our car a ticket (wish there was a free parking lot nearby!). The cenote under the reception desk is awesome, and the staff made a point of taking us down to show it to us. When we visited, there were baby turtles that they were planning to set free soon.

This hotel is located just around the corner from the club/party hot zone. The partying starts at 11pm and the constant thumping noise does not end until sometime between 5 and 6am. (Don't even partiers have to sleep at some point?) The window in our room was also broken so the noise penetrated into the room. We spoke with hotel staff about the noise before departing. They agreed that the noise is a problem and said they're trying to improve the situation.

We don't recommend this hotel for families or for people who like to sleep at night and do activities during the day (versus people who stay up all night partying and then sleep all day). In contrast, we also stayed at Hotel Mimi Del Mar (on the beach) and Hotel Copacabana (on Quinto/5th) and neither had noise issues.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank meliha
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Just returning from a three weeks vacation in PDC. I have been treated as a royalty at the Tropical CasaBlanca.

I must say that I have certainly met the most gentle and dedicated staff ever in all my traveling. All my needs were taken care of in a very prompt and efficient way. I have only praises for the hotel personnel - all of them.

As for the room, it was impeccable the entire time I stayed there.

Thank you for a wonderful time with extraordinary people. They certainly know about customer service excellency.

C.F. Toronto

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed here earlier this year and loved it. From the cenote below the main building, the beautiful entrance and the proximity to the beach and 5th avenue.

The staff was amazing and along with the owner were great to talk with. All came armed with great suggestions and really made you feel comfortable at all times.

Loved my room and while at first I missed the TV, after about two days, I realized I was there to sit on the beach, not in my room. And in many ways it was nice to get away from the talking box.

My one note while staying here (about 10 days) is that only one night was there a club nearby where the noise bothered me...but I had no problems any other nights.t.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Parisitaly
Reviewed November 24, 2008

What a wonderful time I had at your "home" - that's what it felt like. I have raved about how well we were taken care of to all my friends and they are all jealous. I know you sometimes get e-mail from those who have a few minor problems, but I wanted you and your staff to know that I enjoyed every minute I spent with you. My needs were attended to almost before I knew I needed anything - seven days of heaven.

I read the earlier reviews before I left and brought a pair of soft earplugs - problem solved and I am a light sleeper!!

If you are a scuba diver, there is no better place to stay than at this hotel. If only one partner dives, there is plenty to keep the non-diver busy because it is close to the center of the Playa with many beautiful shops.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends