“Great Location!”

Plaza Marina Condos
Ranked #172 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 19, 2009

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Plaza Marina(S-7). This place is located a block away from 5th and 3 blocks away from the bus station. I would recommend taking the ADO bus from the airport. The cost is 100 pesos ($7). You can easily walk to the condo from the bus station.

The view is incredible. There is a Senior Frogs right downstairs, as many have already mentioned. You can hear the noise in the condo, however, once you go into the bedroom all noise disappears. We went to bed at 10PM one night after a long day in Chichen Itza and had NO problem catching some ZZZ's. Many good Places to eat. La Tarraya is a great place right on the beach, mostly seafood. El Fogon(by Walmart) great authentic Mexican. La Parrillo 10 is great Brazilian, ect.. If you need anymore recommendations feel free to send me an email. For the money we paid I would HIGHLY recommend this condo. I will be returning to this place next year. I am a 36 year old medical sales rep and my wife is a nurse at the hospital. Again, any questions at all, just send me an email.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FLZB
There are newer reviews for Plaza Marina Condos

Reviewed October 8, 2009

NOVEMBER 2008
Stayed at Plaza Marina (S4 and S5) on two different occasions, renting from "Dave" at "Rentals Your Way"; a very good experience. The condos are well-equipped, and if you aren't a fussy or pampered traveler, you will have all you need for a great vacation. If you don't mind muted music and thumping from Senor Frogs (located below the condos), you will find this to be an ideal location. The wonderful balconys overlook the Ferry Terminal; if you like to watch the hustle, just sit with a cool beverage and watch the ferries load and unload passengers and supplies. A barefoot walk (right through Senor Frogs, which is open-air) brings you to the beach....a beach that goes on for miles. You are only blocks from 5th Avenue (Quinto Avenida) which is the main street that runs parallel to the ocean: 500 meters from the water commonly referred to as, "Playa del Carmen's Pedestrian Walkway". Along 5th Avenue you will find numerous stores and restaurants and nightlife. No rental car needed! The bus station is right on 5th Avenue, and you can go to & from Cancun and the airport for a fraction of the cost of private vehicles or rental cars.

2  Thank 2tanEmptyNesters
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed in room D-3. It was a 2 br, 2 bath unit with a kitchen and laundry. from April 6-10, 2009. I am accustomed to staying inurn all inclusive resorts and I was a bit nervous because I was travelling with 2 adults and 2 children ages 7 and 6. We not only survived but we thrived. The savings were amazing! We are a water family and all of us wanted nothing more than to snorkel. We discovered a place called Akumal where we were able to swim and play with wild fish all day for $175p per adult. We swam here because I wanted to insure that the babies would swim in the sea water before I spent $75 us per person at XEL-HA. The location of the Plaza Marina was literally connected to Senior Frogs and the Ferry dock to Cozumel. All of the happening places to see at night were well within walkin distance for the family. The beach was rough, but Akumal was a placid, saltwater swimming pool. We rented a car from http://adventure-carrental.com/ and they were great to deal with. Their rates were all-inclusive, just bring your rental confirmation with you. We rented to condo from www.rentalsyourway.com and the transaction went really well.

If you are going to PDC, keep in mind that there is a Wal-mart and a Sams club in town. There is no need to stress about what to bring. If you forget something you can buy it at wal mart along with all the food you need for your stay. Feel free to contact me with questions.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Plaza Marina condos Feb 3rd for 7 nights. We enjoyed the condos for the most part. The easy access to 5th ave was a big plus. you are very close to eating establishments bars shopping etc. Don't eat at Carlos & Charlies, it's right up the street. The food was terrible and the cost was very high, 380 pesos for lunch which was inedible. We enjoyed lunch at the Blue Parrot, Mandarino's (pizza and champagne), and Teqila Barrel. We found a little bar just north of 20th on 5th called El costenitos, beer was 19 pesos, that's about $1.35 U.S. Change your money at the banks, we got over 14 to the dollar all the time, only 13 on 5th at the cambios. I'm rambling a bit, sorry. The condo as I said was nice. They cleaned it everyday but Sunday and did a great job. We tipped 50 pesos each time. The music from Senor Frogs was a little annoying especially on Sat. night, they went till about 3 a.m. with a live band. All you hear is thump thump thump. Condo didn't have a t.v. in the bedroom so if you wanted to watch news or movie late at night it was difficult to hear. Beach is very nice and only about 50 yards away. They provided towels boogie boards etc. for guests. Free long distance to U.S. and Canada, as well as wireless internet was also included, very nice. No pool which we missed a little while we tanned on the deck, nice to cool off once in awhile. We've stayed A.I. in Cancun 12 times before and will never do it again, we will go back to Playa and buy our own food and eat out, much better choices. Went to Bad Boyz beach club Thurs. and Sat. to hear JJ and the Nasty Bastards. It was a full house and lots of fun. It's located between 4 and 6 on the beach, kinda hard to find. Overall a nice place, but would maybe stay somewhere else with a pool and a little less noise. P.S. Beds are comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank huskernut
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My 18 daughter and I stayed at Plaza Marina S-5 from Dec 23 to Dec 31st. I think that I booked from vrbo in September. The owner contacted me first and said that the rental company would be in touch with me. They sent a contract, and I sent a check for deposit in USD, including tax, to somewhere in Ohio. This process went smoothly.

I think the price for this one bedroom was a bit high for a building with no pool and no beach, HOWEVER, it was the least expensive oceanfront, with vacancies during Christmas, that I could rent. For $225/nt including tax, the service could have been a little better. The service wasn't horrible, and it was kind of what I expected in Mexico.

For example, the room description included free wireless internet and free vonage in room calls to USA and Canada. Our password worked to connect to the in room router, but there was no connectivity to the internet, even if we used a LAN wire and connected directly. On our first morning, I waited until 9am when they opened to tell them that our water pressure was gone, we had no internet, no phone, and the satelite didn't work. I wasn't convinced that the management was going to do anything, because they didn't even write down my problems. I didn't want to go to the beach, assuming they would take care of things, and then come back after they went home without me being able to flush or shower!

Fortunately, there were several customers without water, and this was fixed within a couple hours. A technician was sent to my room before noon, and he told us to use S6 internet router and password, which worked. He took the vonage phone and never brought it back. So, no phone to call home on Christmas! I inquired about the phone later in the week, but the tech said that probably the owner didn't pay the bill, and he was checking on it. The internet solution worked for us until someone moved into unit S6 and unplugged the router (probably because there are very few electrical outlets). Then we were out of internet until we could catch up with the folks in that unit and ask them to plug their router back in. About 2 days, which is hell on a teenager.

The apartment is very dimly lit. At night, if you think it will bother you that the apartment is so dim, you might buy some higher watt light bulbs.

Now, lets get to the reason I chose this condo. It IS oceanfront. In fact, the ocean laps right up against the building below. The building below is Senor Frogs, and the thatch roof of Frogs blocks your lovely view of the ocean while laying down on the provided lounge chairs. S6 and S7 would be better choices because they have an unspoiled view. The patio of the condo is HUGE and very nice. There is a covered section of patio right outside of the sliding door. 2 padded chairs are under the covered area. Very nice. The uncovered terrace is very very nice late in the day if the beach gets a little bit chilly. Not as much wind on the condo terrace.

The main beach is a short stroll across the pedestrian only street and down the boardwalk. There are two palapa covered beach bars. Las Palapas is the round beach bar that rents loungers for the beach for only 20 pesos each. This is VERY cheap compared to beach clubs further down. Las Palapas is convenient and sells beer and drinks at typical prices for the area. Or you could bring your own cooler, food, bubba keg, whatever. It really wasn't a problem that the condo does not have its own beach. The main beach we went to was close enough to go back to the room to use the bathroom.

The condo has adequate supplies for cooking. For the two of us, the tiny refrigerator was not too small to hold all the drinks and 2 liter cokes we wanted, plus sometimes leftovers from dinner. The freezer didn't exactly freeze steaks or chicken, though.

The condo has LOTS of beach towells. I was confused when maid service didn't replenish our bath towells, but upon leaving, I discovered a whole cabinet full of bath towells in the night stand by the bed, next to the window..... Hair dryer is supplied. The shower water gets hot enough, but I ONLY turn on the hot water with NO cold water. Just stand outside the shower for a few minutes while the water gets hot. Oh, I love the tile work in the bathroom.

My bed at home feels like a fluffy cloud, so I don't do so well in Mexican beds. The bedroom has a king bed, lots of extra sheets,extra pillows, lots of extra blankets. I slept in the king bed about half the stay, with my daughter, but later I realized that for me, the futons in the living room were more comfortable. The wood futon pulls away from the wall and expands into a double size bed. Using the sheets and blankets from the closet in the bedroom, I made a bed in the living room each night. My daughter did not have a problem with the hard bed.

The air conditioners are VERY adequate, in fact cold. There is one in the living room and one in the bedroom, both with remote controls. This was confusing at first, but I got used to it.

Noise from Senor Frogs, DIRECTLY below this condo, was not a concern for me. Most nights we stayed out very late, anyway. On the nights we came back to the room at 11 or 12, it was not so noisy that we couldn't hear the TV. We had no problem with it at all. The neighbors in S4 told us that their kids couldn't sleep until Sr Frogs shut down for the night. If you sleep in the bedroom, you probably won't even notice it.

Location of this condo is very convenient. Street vendors with fresh fruit or tacos is right as you walk out into the street. There is a shopping center right around the corner with nice restaurants and convenient fast foods. A large tourist shop is less than a block away that includes a pharmacy, beer, liquer, odds and ends, tourist junk. The real grocery stores are kind of far, in comparison. But to put it in perspective, Walmart and Mega are both about 20 minutes walk away. Walmart was a GIANT headache. I recommend Mega for simplicity and serenity. 5th avenue is right around the corner, and from the condo, you really start at the beginning of the tourist zone.

The maid service was good, and they were very friendly and polite. I didn't really feel the same about the rest of the service. I just think that the management company should have made sure that things worked before we arrived instead of us spending an entire day there with issues.

On our last morning before heading home, the water was turned off again..... So we couldn't take a shower before going to the airport. I don't know what is causing the problem with the water. Since the building is shared with other businesses, it might not be Plaza Marina's fault, but I do know that it doesn't get taken care of until sometime after management arrives at 9am.

I enjoyed the privacy of these condos. It's really just a very small building. Not much traffic inside the common area. The condo met my needs and highest priorities. I would stay here again for that reason. If I could get an oceanfront for the same price or less at someplace like Playa Maya or Mimi del Mar or Playa Palms, I might just as easily rent those. But Plaza Marina was a good place to stay and met my expectations on what was important.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank laurastrangers
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We found this condo (unit D5) through http://www.vrbo.com/45828. We generally stay in hotels but as this was a last minute trip during the holidays (busy season), it was nearly impossible to find any vacancies in the area. A friend suggested VRBO and they were able to find us this condo.

I'm going to detail everything about the condo regardless of importance. A lot of these things were minor to us but for others they might be important so I noted them.

The unit would be good for a family of 4 as long as the kids don't mind sharing the 2nd bedroom. There are 2 full-size beds in the 2nd. One night my husband slept in one of them (due to noise on New Year's Eve) and found that he had to sleep diagonal -- apparently the beds are shorter than average (he's 6'1 but I found that at 5'7, they seemed short too).

The master bed is comfortable. The mattress is covered with thick foam. The sheets were not high quality (def. not a high thread count).

Toilets - The seats were made for a shorter bowl (see pics). A little weird but manageable. In some restaurants & tourist spots, they don't even have toilet seats though. The toilet in the master bathroom ran so after you flushed, you had to wait a moment and jiggle the handle to get it to stop. A minor annoyance overall.

VRBO site says that the condo offers free wireless, and I suppose it does if you remember to bring a power cord with you for the modem. The wireless unit was plugged in but not the modem and I couldn't find a cord. Management was no help at all where this was concerned. I *believe* but am not positive (because I accessed the Internet thru my phone so it worked regardless of wireless) that the access code for Senor Frogs is beach.

The unit is in the back of the building and we found that it was extremely quiet, despite Senor Frogs. There was one night that noise was a problem, and that was New Year's Eve. Interestingly, it wasn't Senor Frogs that was the problem even on NYE. There were a couple of guys that were yelling in the courtyard below the balcony for a while and the restaurant across the courtyard (on the 2nd floor, same as D5) played music at odd intervals and then stopped. That was it though.

D5 is quite spacious. Toilet paper, soap, shampoo and large jugs of water are supplied. The taps in the condo are filtered but we used the jugs of water supplied anyway just to be safe. The electrical outlets are the same as the U.S. No hairdryer was supplied but with the humidity, I found that it was pointless to use one anyway (I'm not used to much humidity at all so if you're from the E Coast, you probably wouldn't notice it). Beach towels are also provided.

We stayed for 7 nights and were told there would be 3 cleaning days and rec'd only 2. Not a big deal since we're not messy but good to know if you're expecting more.

The 2nd bathroom, the water in the shower never got warm. It wasn't frigid but I wouldn't call it luke warm either.

The kitchen and laundry area are nice. The laundry facilities are full size and worked fine. The information said there would be laundry detergent -- there wasn't but we asked about it and they supplied us with more than enough.

The a/c is great and both bedrooms have their own remote controls so that you can increase, lower or turn off / on from whereever you are in the room.

There is no beach in front of the condos besides a tiny little corner, thru the hall, across from Senor Frogs, but the beach is only steps away and very nice.

The location overall was terrific. Steps from the beach, 5th Ave and the ferry to Cozumel but just far enough that noise wasn't a problem.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. It certainly wasn't the Four Seasons but we didn't pay for the Four Seasons and it is Mexico, after all. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PortlandORGirl
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Alma and I just returned from a two week trip to Playa Del Carmen and the Yucatan. The first week we had booked a one bedroom condo in the Plaza Marina Condos (D7). We found this condo from internet searches (VRBO I think) and selected it primarily for price and the waterfront location.

The condo pretty much met our expectations as it delivered what it advertised. The condos are directly above Señor Frog's disco bar and restaurant (mainly bar) and the owners are very up-front about this, but they claim the noise is not much of a problem. This is true most of the time, but we learned that the volume level can vary drastically from one night to the next. If they have a large group of party-hearty patrons, the DJ will crank up the volume and level of enthusiasm. It is loudest in the front room and patio. The bedroom is toward the back where the noise is less. Four of the five nights were OK and we could even sleep even without the air conditioner to mask the noise. But one night the volume was loud enough to disturb sleep even with all doors closed and the AC on. My neighbors in the condo next door were there over Los Días de Muerte and they said the volume was pretty bad for three nights in a row.

Positives:

Location - Right in the heart the tourist district. Walk to everything. Great ocean view and the ferries to Cozumel are right in front of you which are a lot of fun to watch. Easy walk to the bus station.

Price - These are on the lower end of cost comparison with other condos and we thought it was good value, especially for oceanfront.

Negatives:

No internet - The owner never claimed the unit had this amenity so I really can't complain, but my laptop detected wireless networks associated with other condo units. I asked the condo management if I could tap into one of these other nets (I even offered to pay a reasonable access fee) but they refused.

No beach - The picture of the condos shows a beach in front. The beach is no longer there as the waves come directly to the foundation walls. Either the water is higher, or the beach that used to be there eroded away. Not a big problem as there is plenty of beach just on the other side of the ferry pier, but you can't fall out your door to the beach as I expected. This is certainly not the fault of the owners or condo management as all of the beaches in PDC suffer from this condition.

Patio privacy - The condos have nice large patios, but the only thing separating you from your neighbors is low wall about 1 meter high. The patios are narrow (~3 meters) so if your neighbors are out there when you are, having a private conversation is a bit awkward.

Charley