“Location, Location, Location! Did I mention great price too?”
Review of Hotel Labnah

Hotel Labnah
Ranked #27 of 174 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Minnesota
“Location, Location, Location! Did I mention great price too?”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This property is on Calle 6, 1/2 block to the Ocean & 1/2 block to 5th Avenue. The rooms are simple, but clean and efficient. Plenty of room in the open air closet to hang clothes, etc. Bathroom is fair sized and incredible water pressure. The soaps and shampoos smell great! The hotel offers a continental breakfast with something different each day. They also have a lock box at the front desk for your small valuables (cash, passports, etc). Free beach towels and discount to a beach club, there is a nice pool on-site too. Across the street from the hotel is a nice restaurant with great daily specials! Because of it's location to 5th & the Fusion Beach Bar, it tends to get a bit noisy at night. Turn on the a/c and it drowns it out. That is par for the course in Playa, it has become busy & noisy. For what this property offers and the price, it can't be beat.

Room Tip: Rooms in the inside courtyard are much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiarosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Livingston, Texas
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at Sian Kaan (sister property to LabNah) last year and it was great. LabNah is a little less expensive so we thought we would give it a try. We were not dissapointed. The hotel is not as fancy (no tv, no phones, no marble floors) but just as clean and well maintained. The entire staff, especially the young lady at the front desk, goes out of their way to be certain the guests are all satisfied and happy.Breakfast was different and plentiful each morning. Coffee was better some mornings than others but always good and hot. One morning we had waffles with an assortment of sliced fruit. The two ladies who serve breakfast got a little overwhelmed trying to keep everyone served promptly so two ladies (I think one was the manager and one was an owner) from the office came to help out. That seems to be the pervasive attitude at the hotel. Keep everyone satisfied. We would definetly reccommend this hotel to our friends who want a reasonably priced, clean, safe hotel in great location. The hotel is about 1/2 block from the beach and 1/2 block from the main activity center of town (5th Ave).

Room Tip: Room 9 has the best view of the beach and water. If you want a little kitchen with a private sun dec...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donatthelake2
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 31, 2011

OK Hotel besides the fact of a break-in in our room. No forced sign of entry which gives you the impression that it might have been an inside job, Especially since only a few of several valuable items were taken. No reaction from the staff, just a "it happens" attitude which implies that it might happen again as there are no attempts to improve security. Only upside, close to the beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank Gustav L
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for one night on November 14, 2011. We didn't make reservations in advance and had never heard of the place until we walked in the door.

The room was $44, which was a great deal better than the place across the street which wanted $80! The room was very clean and the beds were ok- not super comfy but definitely decent. The shampoo and soap were top class- MUCH better than I have seen in even most pretty nice hotels- the bar soap had bits of oatmeal in it and the shampoo had a cute little burlap cover on the top and smelled great.

We were out on the plaza at night and didn't even really try to get internet until the morning. I can't really remember if we had enough of a signal to get it in our room but I don't think we did, however, it was completely fine to go to the little breakfast/sitting area to get it. It was very nice to have internet at all, considering that many of the hotels that are "all-inclusive" actually DON'T, or rather, they do, but they charge you an arm and a leg for it!

I disagree with the previous reviewer about the quality of the coffee; my friend and I both thought it was great and drank like 4 or 5 cups when we were there. Perhaps they upgraded recently...

Also, the breakfast was the best we had on our whole trip. There were interesting little ham and jelly sandwiches (which were a little odd actually, and while definitely edible not something I will make at home!) but the real treat was the yogurt/fruit medly. I am sure it has some special name but it was little bits of cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple and papaya mixed with some type of yogurt with coconut and cinnamon and maybe some other spices? Whatever it was, it was delicious and we tried (without success!) to recreate it the rest of our trip.

The only negative comment I have was that there were some fellow travelers who were quite loud the night of our stay. I am not sure if there is a pool table in the hotel but it sounded like there were people drinking and playing pool in a room down the hall. I don't remember exactly what time this was but I'm guessing it was sometime around midnight. That was pretty obnoxious and I was thinking of going to the front desk to complain but then I fell asleep. :o) Once I was asleep I slept like a rock and felt very rested in the morning.

I would definitely DEFINITELY return to Labnah. For the money I feel like it was a MUCH better deal than the all-inclusive place that we went to later (Allegro Cozumel).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LTEaton
Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We chose this hotel because of price and the location.
What is said in previous review's summerizes much of my experience, too. I found the hotel to be cheap and clean, and have an excellent location. We stayed 14 dayes, and would stay here again!
We travelled as friends.

Comming from Norway (Noruega), Europe, the need for water was enormous... It would have been nice to have a mini-cooling-device for bottles of water and such in each room, but have no idea if that kind of devices excists. And it would make the stay more expencive.

Ps. Only time we missed having a television in the room was the day after the wedding we were in Playa del Carmen for. But then again, having no television "forced" us up round 3 pm to find breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mari Helene S
managerlabnah, Gerente at Hotel Labnah, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your review.

We will consider your suggestions and hopefully we can surprise you on your next visit.

On behalf of the hotel staff, we look forward to host you in the near future.

Alejandra Gutierrez
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The value was outstanding --- a small boutique hotel to be sure, but for the amount we paid (around $37 a night) it was absolutely perfect for a first stay in Playa Del Carmen. We stayed for 8 days, and rented a car we hardly used (except to get to and from the airport), and parked it there safely and for free. Fresh beach towels were available, a small pool in a garden environment... and while there was no elevator, there was a mini lift for our luggage, which was a nice treat . The room was very basic, no televisions or alarm clocks. But who really needs that? I brought my netbook (streamed movies at night before bed) and used my alarm on my cell phone for the days we needed it. Wifi strength must depend on the room (we were in 106), as some said it worked, some said it didn't. There's a free computer near the lobby/pool.

Each day fresh towels appeared in the form of an animal with little stickers for eyes and noses. They repeated animals, but hey... after the amount of time we were there for, it's understandable. ;) We tipped the maid a U.S. dollar a day and received a clean room, fresh sheets, fresh towels, and the bed was fine.

Breakfast got somewhat boring after a while: croissants were ok (more like crescent rolls than croissants). The yogurt was ok and the granola was stale on the last day. But the fresh fruit was tasty and varied daily, the O.J. was freshly squeezed, and the coffee, while not the best, was fine - better than some, worse than others and not gourmet. One sentence to describe Labnah is that its not a castle, but it was a gem that allowed us to spend our money wisely in PDC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank J-Shiffy
managerlabnah, Gerente at Hotel Labnah, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

I’m pleased to inform you that thanks to your suggestion we made a change to our breakfast.

We have not made this changes before because do not have a stove so our breakfast was limited, but we request the help of a professional and he design for us a daily menu, which we began to offer it this summer, thanks to your feedback.

On behalf of the hotel staff, once again we appreciate your comments and we look forward to host you in the near future.

Alejandra Gutierrez
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I found this place on tripadvisor, saw many wonderful reviews, but figured for the price it would be clean sheets, but bare bones. I was soooo wrong. It is an absolute hidden gem in Playa!
My husband and I had the MOST wonderful 5 night stay at Labnah. I would highly highly recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family, as well as anyone reading this review. It is on a quiet block, off the main strip, literally steps from the beach.
We were greeted at the front desk with more courtesy, friendliness and welcoming arms than any hotel I've ever stayed at.
Don't expect a luxury resort, but they offer wonderful clean rooms with AC, free WIFI, free beach towel service, free breakfast. We were so surprised by all the amenities for the price.
We realized while in Playa that not only was it US public school break (my husband works at a school), but it was also Mexico school break.. it was PACKED in Playa, and way too touristy for our interest on the main strip. The receptionist at Labnah gladly made us a list of her favorite local jaunts off the strip for great authentic eating.... I want to thank her soooo much for making our trip much more delicious, authentic, and inexpensive!!!
We highly recommend Fogon Taco, El Gusto Jarocho, and Rooftop Bar right around the corner from the hotel (ask for Cristina!).

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple