“Romantic place”

Ranked #91 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rome, Italy
“Romantic place”
Reviewed September 4, 2006

We came from Italy and stayed ten days (Aug 9th to 18th) at Luna Blue. Everything fullfilled our expectation. A very charming and quiet place, rooms well furnished, mattress comfortable (only item to note the AC too noisy).
Very professional staff :both chamber maid,(room is perfectly cleaned up every morning )and door men( very nice guys too).
Tony and Cherie ready to intervene for any minor trouble you should get (also for just a clarification with car rental dealer).
Strongly suggestable also for very good ratio between quality and price.
Giancarlo and Bruna

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — noisy AC
  • Tips/Secrets — one drop of tequila on the terrace every night before .....
12 Thank ricciola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
san francisco, ca
Reviewed August 30, 2006

My boyfriend and I headed down to Playa del Carmen based on a friend's recommendation. I came to trip advisor to find a place to stay, and after seeing the reviews on Luna Blue i thought this place must be too good to be true. Nope. The place rocks.

It was so secluded. Each room has a private entrance. We stayed in one of the treetop terrace rooms (room #36) and the balcony was so great. It's super clean. It has a fridge/bottled water, great fans, wonderful air conditioning. My boyfriend's parents had a room with a kitchenette, which was great, as i was able to make tea at night if i wanted.

Tony and Cheri were wonderful, as were all the staff. Friendly, but not overyly friendly to be phony or annoying. Helpful. All of that. We arranged car pick up to and from the airport through them, which was great. The location is great, too. I can't wait to go back. I look forward to enjoying the new bar when i return! I really can't say i've had a better vacation than this one. The town, the location, all so beautiful. The hotel just blended in so well with the feel of the town, that you really feel you are on vacation. I've been back for 5 days now, and i'm still on that vacation high. :)

Highly Recommend!

Christine & Rafael

• Liked — the relaxed environment, the energy, the staff.
  • Disliked — i wish we had a kitchenette in our room, but no biggie
  • Tips/Secrets — don't be afraid to ask tony & cheri for recommendations.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank clkeating23
San Francisco
Reviewed August 29, 2006

I just returned from a short (4 nights) but completely amazing stay at the Luna Blue Hotel. It was definetely one of the highlights of my trip around the Mexican Riveria. It was perfectly located just off the pedistrian heart of Playa del Carmen (where all the best bars and restaurants are located). We had a room on the first floor which was perfect, beautfully decorated and clean with all the amenities, such as AC and a perfect outdoor balcony for sipping cervazes and enjoying the garden courtyard.

Of course the highlight for us was the people. Tony has to have been one of the most helpful hotel owner come concierge i have ever come across. His knowledge of the local restaurants and recommendations for things to do in the area, where the best....and really added to making this one awesome vacation.

As a side note my girlfriend stayed at one of the 4-star inclusive hotels in Cancun the week before, and thought her stay at the Luna Hotel and Playa del Carmen was so much better!

The only downside was no pool, but with free passes to the beach club which is very close by, that totally made up for it.

Hope your stay is as awesome as ours was. Can't wait to go back!!!

Ronan

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ronan_sf
US
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We stayed in one of the kitchenette suites after finding the practically orgasmic recommendations on this website. I even cancelled a comparable reservation with another hotel because of the glowing reviews. After staying a week in PDC at Luna Blue, the #1 rating of this hotel is inconsistent with our experience.

Pros:

The location is excellent. Right on 5th avenue and 2 blocks from very nice beaches in front of Mamitas beachclub. It is also very close to several nice cafes and restaurants.

The staff was courteous and friendly. The maid was excellent and thorough. We asked for recommendations on places to eat and were not disappointed. The owners, when present, were excellent resources.

Cons:

No hot water in our room for 4 days! We told the staff on 5 separate occasions during our stay. When the water problem was fixed, the owners never apologized for the inconvenience.

The owners were scarcely around (though one had taken ill for the first day of our stay). Nonetheless, we booked at this hotel for the "bed and breakfast" style personal treatment promised here and by Luna Blue's brochures.

The bedding was silly. We have definitely had much better sheets and pillows in the rattiest of Motel 6's out there in Interstate Land.

During our stay we checked out the hotel I cancelled for Luna Blue. Doohhh! I should have stuck with Hotel Quinto Sol. We'll be staying there next time.

• Liked — The lizards running around.
  • Disliked — The cockroaches running around.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank chaddymak
Edmond, OK
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I am writing this to say that I think some of the posts about Luna Blue are fabricated. My fiance and I went to Luna Blue to see if it would be a good place for people in our wedding party to stay this fall. Since it had such a high rating on tripadvisor I had high expectations, and was shocked to find that the location and hotel itself are nothing noteworthy and there are great places nearby that are just as good, for less. Don't think you are going to have the best stay of your life here. This is more on backpacker level than anything else. Wouldn't trust most of these posts.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happydally
LunaBlue, Owners at Luna Blue Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2006
Beware, indeed. Beware of phony reviews. While tripadvisor reviews are anonymous, a small hotel such as ours can easily determine whether or not a reviewer has actually been a guest. This so called reviewer has never stayed with us.

As noted in the comments, the reviewer says she went to “see” the Luna Blue and found that it was “nothing noteworthy.” She does not offer any specifics as to why. She does not even say that she stayed with us, because in fact she did not. She even questioned the location (again, without explanation or details). Luna Blue is located in the heart of Playa’s new North Beach only half a block from the legendary Fifth Avenue and only about five minutes walk to the best beach club in town. Almost every one of the nearly 100 reviews posted on tripadvisor comment on our excellent location. We suspect this reviewer not only didn’t stay at our hotel, but possibly didn’t even come to Playa.

The reviewer then concludes that since she didn’t like the look of our hotel, the almost 100 positive reviews from people all over the country, indeed all over the world, were “fabricated.” The only fabricated review is this one. Why this person decided to write this review, what the motivation was, is unknown to us. What we do know is that this is not a legitimate review.

Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2006

This hotel is a budget hotel but I still expected it to be clean and free of bugs. We booked two rooms and in both there were little red ants in the bathrooms. Our room had a blood stain on the bed cover and when I asked for a new one. I was informed that they only had one per room? The air condiditoner controls were located above the rack to hang your close on. Which meant that you had to climb on something to adjust the controls. The refrigerator did not get very cold at all. So dont spend extra for that it is not worth it. The passes that they give you for the chairs and umbrella give you a discount and the service was ok but slow on getting you what you ordered. They offer beach towels for a deposit of $10.00 each which you get back when you check out. I would recommend buying one from the market at a cheaper rate. The owners are nice but I suggest that they put a little more money in additional sheets and comforters and some bug spray, and some more remote controls for the air conditioners or relocating them so you do not have to climb on something to adjust them. The maid service was very poor. Only thing I think was done was putting clean towls out and changing the trash. The sheets were not changed because my nephew left me a note on top of his bed and I did not find it till the bedspread was pulled back. I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless they don't mind these things. There are other nice budget hotels in the same area and alot cleaner if not for the same price or a few dollars higher.

• Liked — Front desk help
  • Disliked — not very clean/red ants in the rooms/noisey and not very accessable airconditioning controls.
  • Tips/Secrets — look else where
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank july1
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2006

Overall, I really was not a big fan of PDC. Coming from Manhattan, I found it too trendy, too crowded, and too expensive----it was all things I was trying to take a vacation from!! Additionally, it was not typical of Mexico and Mexican culture, which is what we had wanted. Additiionally, I cannot help but notice the very exxagerated and obvious socioeconomic (and ethnic) divide in this town; something that left me very disconcerted.

That being said, it was still a beautiful place. The beach was beautiful. Hated Mamita's beach club, but the beaches are beautiful and the waters are so blue and so warm!

And Luna Blue was a quiet little piece of heaven. Had we stayed elsewhere, I may have written this trip off all together. Coming back to Luna Blue every nite was great. It's very rustic and you have to deal with things like ants in the room and tons of bug bites so this may not be for everyone. But for us, it was fine and just a very very beautiful place for a very affordable price. I had also arranged for a little engagement celebration suprise for my fiancee of chocolate and champagn, which Tony and Cheri happily set up for about $70. The room was waiting for us on our arrival and my fiancee was sooo suprised! It was great.

By our 4th day in Luna Blue, we had walked the town a hundred times, eaten ourselves and drinken ourselves full and I was sick of PDC! Luckily, the next day we discovered collectivo trips to other places (went back to Akumal twice!!!) and this helped this to be a great trip. Had we been isolated to only PDC, I would have lost my mind, but seeing the ruins, meeting and talking with locals on teh collectivos and visiting Akumal (beautiful, quiet, serene), and yes even PDC in moderation, made this a pretty good trip. Not the best I've had, but still a fun time. I would love to stay in Luna Blue again, but I don't think I'll ever come back to Playa.

• Liked — the grounds!! breathtaking! and for a rustic place, it was very well cleaned.
  • Disliked — tons of ants. ants infested my laptop. more privacy.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple